PDA

View Full Version : Bulk food storage in 5 gallon pails

MTR7
11-07-10, 15:03
Guys:
Any experience with bulk storing of grains, sugar, flour ect. in 5 gallon pails with gamma lids. It seems that for the best life of the food and for protection the material should be sealed into smaller bags. Can I use a standard vacuum packer from wally word.

I am not doing # 10 cans, I am not doing the majority of the inventory in dehydrated. Where is the best place to buy bulk (25 to 50 pound) bags of flour, wheat, corn, corn meal, beans.

Any of y'all been down this road?

Regards
Matt

11-07-10, 16:18
Check out Emergency Essentials.

Pardoner
11-07-10, 21:47
Guys:
Any experience with bulk storing of grains, sugar, flour ect. in 5 gallon pails with gamma lids. It seems that for the best life of the food and for protection the material should be sealed into smaller bags. Can I use a standard vacuum packer from wally word.

I am not doing # 10 cans, I am not doing the majority of the inventory in dehydrated. Where is the best place to buy bulk (25 to 50 pound) bags of flour, wheat, corn, corn meal, beans.

Any of y'all been down this road?

Regards
Matt

Get the product at wholesale clubs.

I use 5 gal buckets with mylar bags and O2 absorbers. Then a hot iron to seal.

I then write on the lid: contents, date packed and calorie count.
example: rice 38 lbs 11/17/08 and approx 50,000 cals

MTR7
11-08-10, 06:39
Where do you get your mylar bags, and what hot iron are you using?
Thanks
Matt

Pardoner
11-08-10, 06:53
Where do you get your mylar bags, and what hot iron are you using?
Thanks
Matt

I got the mylar bags, O2 absorbers and desiccant packs from sorbent systems.

I just use a cloths iron with the steam turned off. There are a bunch of youtube videos that go over the process.

CDDM416
11-08-10, 10:12
I also store bulk food in buckets with mylar bags. The bags I use are ziplok. I cant remember where I got them, but they are out there.
Much easer to open and reclose.

just a scout
11-08-10, 20:52
mylar bags (https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm)

MTR7
11-09-10, 18:20
Guys:
Thanks y'all rock
Big Pepsi