PDA

View Full Version : M&P Sling Swivel

whiskey6
11-07-10, 19:45
I'm thinking about getting a plunger type sling swivel for my M&P. I guess S&W thought it cost too much to send one with it. Who makes a good one?

C4IGrant
11-07-10, 19:47
I'm thinking about getting a plunger type sling swivel for my M&P. I guess S&W thought it cost too much to send one with it. Who makes a good one?

Got a pic of what you are talking about?

C4

Mac5.56
11-07-10, 19:59
You talking about the sling point on the bottom of their railed gas block?

whiskey6
11-07-10, 20:04
No. And my Cameras down. On the M&P, there's a hole on the bottom of the gas block,I understand, for a plunger sling swivel. Just wanted to know if there was one better then another.

whiskey6
11-07-10, 20:07
You talking about the sling point on the bottom of their railed gas block?

Yep. That's the one.

C4IGrant
11-07-10, 20:11
Yep. That's the one.

You do realize that is a bad place for a sling mount right?

C4

whiskey6
11-07-10, 20:23
How so?

C4IGrant
11-07-10, 20:27
How so?

The two best ways to carry an AR is with a 2 point or single point sling. With a 2 point, you need a side mount point (at the 9 o'clock position if you are a righty). Not one at the 6 position.

C4

Mac5.56
11-07-10, 20:30
Grant, I am asking this as the next thing I want to do is get a sling that I like, and I have been through two that I didn't, so I am looking at options.

One thing about the swivel on the bottom of the MP gas block is that if you use a clip it essentially swivels to the side, acting like a side mounted swivel mounted towards the front of hand guard. Do you still suggest avoiding this, and mounting directly to the side of the hand guard? If so why?

C4IGrant
11-07-10, 20:31
Grant, I am asking this as the next thing I want to do is get a sling that I like, and I have been through two that I didn't, so I am looking at options.

One thing about the swivel on the bottom of the MP gas block is that if you use a clip it essentially swivels to the side, acting like a side mounted swivel mounted towards the front of hand guard. Do you still suggest avoiding this, and mounting directly to the side of the hand guard? If so why?

Yes, I suggest avoiding this.

C4

whiskey6
11-07-10, 20:40
Well,I did have a single point on it, and it seemed to make the rifle hang to low,maybe it was the make of sling,I don't even remember the brand. I only have the standard hand guard, and flip up front sight,so going through a standard front sight,like I have in the past with a sling is a no go. I guess, look at another single point,or replace the hand guard.

whiskey6
11-07-10, 20:49
Ya know, after thinking about it,having it on the bottom would make the gun want to roll over. Carrying in patrol mode, you would always be trying to keep it level. Thanks for all the help guys,but The Walking Dead is coming on,so I have to go.

Mac5.56
11-07-10, 21:09
Yes, I suggest avoiding this.

C4

May I ask why?

C4IGrant
11-08-10, 08:47
May I ask why?

HK buckles (for instance) are a weak point and can release the weapon or break. The angle is not ideal and basically looks "rigged."

C4