PDA

View Full Version : Did they stop making castle nuts???

Eurodriver
11-08-10, 00:32
A while back I made a thread about trying to stake my castle nut, I screwed it up and Magpul even sent me a replacement ASAP plate free of charge. I didn't even ask for it (Talk about ridiculously good customer service!)

I went to my LGS and bought a new castle nut but it didn't have the notches for staking. The owner told me "Oh, they don't stake castle nuts anymore" I asked him why the 6920 behind him on the wall was staked, gave him my $3 and left. This has the gun put together and fucntioning, but I still need to do it right.

That said, I have been to every website I can find and they are either A.) out of stock, B.) have castle nuts without the notches for staking, or C.) don't carry them. And the ones that do carry them, most of them want to charge $40 for shipping to Hawaii.

Im about to buy an entire basic M4 stock assembly from BCUSA just for the castle nut, this is ridiculous.

nickdrak
11-08-10, 00:49
Did ya check Brownells? Search: "Colt receiver extension nut"

Eurodriver
11-08-10, 00:56
Thank you, I did check brownells. The castle nut I bought from my LGS came in brownells packaging. I had looked on the website and thats all I could find.

I just ordered it. And they didn't rape me for shipping, thankfully.

I wish Brownells had an easier-to-navigate website. Midway has the same problem.

Iraqgunz
11-08-10, 01:09
Some companies are making shitty castle nuts. I saw a DPMS gun a couple of weeks back that also didn't have the provisions for staking either. It's just another ploy by companies that make crap to fool people.

SWATcop556
11-08-10, 01:23
I've been seeing this more and more as well. Most companies out there spout that torque is all you need for the RE. If you're not running your gun to its full potential then that may be true. Having had one come loose on me in a class, ALL of mine are staked. No questions.

justin_247
11-08-10, 06:09
When all else fails, call Grant at G&R Tactical.

KentuckyWindage
11-08-10, 06:36
Here you go, in stock mil spec castle nut. Enter ARFCOM and you get a discount. http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_97&products_id=412
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/images/large/Castle%20Nut_LRG.jpg

RAM Engineer
11-08-10, 06:58
http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/BUTTSTOCK_SLIDING_RECEIVER_EXTENSION_NUT_M4-145-0.html

MarkG
11-08-10, 07:34
The nuts do not have staking pockets because they are not heat treated properly and will probably fracture when hit with a punch. Nitrocarburizing has become the "in" method for heat treating because it is quick, cheap and does not cause shape distortion. It also allows the heat treating parts of many shapes and sizes in the same batch.

Next time you hear of a manufacturer touting the benefits of nitrocarburizing, you are getting screwed.

When consumers continually ask "who has the cheapest", manufacturers will will find a way to meet your low level of expectation... :big_boss:

stifled
11-08-10, 07:46
Some companies are making shitty castle nuts. I saw a DPMS gun a couple of weeks back that also didn't have the provisions for staking either. It's just another ploy by companies that make crap to fool people.

They probably had too many people asking why the notches were present.

mvician
11-08-10, 13:16
I've been seeing this more and more as well. Most companies out there spout that torque is all you need for the RE. If you're not running your gun to its full potential then that may be true. Having had one come loose on me in a class, ALL of mine are staked. No questions.

I hadn't staked mine on my most recent build because I wasn't sure if I wanted to run the SLAP endplate or something else. Well it only took 150 rounds to loosen the nut. Just torque it my a$$ :rolleyes: As soon as I got home I tightened it up and staked it. :cool:

Eurodriver
11-08-10, 16:00
I honestly feel like the one I got from my LGS/Brownells was for an airsoft gun. It feels that cheap.

Brownells has already shipped the Colt part. Can't wait to stake it and finally be done with it.

500grains
11-08-10, 16:02
I honestly feel like the one I got from my LGS/Brownells was for an airsoft gun. It feels that cheap.

I have noticed some low end stuff from Brownells lately. But only in the AR-15 arena. Their regular gunsmithing stuff is still good.

C4IGrant
11-08-10, 16:13
A while back I made a thread about trying to stake my castle nut, I screwed it up and Magpul even sent me a replacement ASAP plate free of charge. I didn't even ask for it (Talk about ridiculously good customer service!)

I went to my LGS and bought a new castle nut but it didn't have the notches for staking. The owner told me "Oh, they don't stake castle nuts anymore" I asked him why the 6920 behind him on the wall was staked, gave him my $3 and left. This has the gun put together and fucntioning, but I still need to do it right.

That said, I have been to every website I can find and they are either A.) out of stock, B.) have castle nuts without the notches for staking, or C.) don't carry them. And the ones that do carry them, most of them want to charge $40 for shipping to Hawaii.

Im about to buy an entire basic M4 stock assembly from BCUSA just for the castle nut, this is ridiculous.

We stock and sell Colt and our own Castle nuts. All have the notch in them to be staked. Only cheap crappy ones don't have the notch. ;)

C4

Ned Christiansen
11-10-10, 07:56
Speaking of cheap, crappy castle nuts......

http://www.louderthanwords.us/picts/ulfls/29082010/19141007841.jpg

The one on the left is real. The one on the right is a cheap imitation.

tsmith247
11-14-10, 12:00
not everyone lists them as castle nuts. i just got one at dpms, but theirs are listed as car stock lock ring with notch.