PDA

View Full Version : Milk?

motorwerks
11-08-10, 04:32
So I have toddlers, 2 of them, 2 year old twins. If SHTF what the heck am I supposed to do about milk? I was wondering if anyone has thought of this problem? I am also wondering if anyone has any experience with powdered milk? If I still lived on the farm like when I was a kid, I would just raise goats but here in the burbs I cant really get away with that.

taylodr
11-08-10, 06:35
I thought about it a while back. They sell milk (liquid) in the baking department of the grocery store that is sealed and last a long time. We did a taste test and it is OK. It has a strange after taste, but if SHTF it will do. It is just real milk, so you can bake with it, drink it by itself, etc. It requires no refrigeration until after it is opened and has a really long shelf life.

11-08-10, 12:53
Fortified dehydrated milk from Emergency Essentials. Long shelf life and tastes pretty good.

motorwerks
11-08-10, 13:00
Awesome, Ill take a look at both of these this morning.

Belmont31R
11-08-10, 13:06
At 2 they shouldn't be needing milk.

BTW I have 4 year old twin boys....:p

Hmac
11-08-10, 13:51
Why do they need milk?

Multivitamins, some supplemental vit D, and calcium supplements are going to be far easier to store.

motorwerks
11-08-10, 17:30
Well my daughter wont eat ANYTHING except oranges, and fruit bars. We try all kinds of stuff but she just pushes it away. So she doesn't eat much and the milk kind of fills in calories vitamins and such. We still give them both a bottle to go to bed because well we value our sanity LOL.

Belmont31R
11-08-10, 17:50
Well my daughter wont eat ANYTHING except oranges, and fruit bars. We try all kinds of stuff but she just pushes it away. So she doesn't eat much and the milk kind of fills in calories vitamins and such. We still give them both a bottle to go to bed because well we value our sanity LOL.

Just a little advice (you didn't ask for it so dont read anymore if you dont want it)......but you need to set those habits up now because they are going to get worse as time goes on.

We used to bottle feed the boys and rock them to sleep. It would take us 3 hrs a night to get them to bed. I finally had enough, and we just stuck them in bed letting them cry it out. After a week they were going to bed in 15-30 minutes on their own. They are 4 now, and its still sometimes a pain to get them to sleep (usually if they have a late nap) but we were no longer spending 3hrs a day putting them to sleep.

RE the food....IME if they don't want to eat something its because they've got a sweet tooth for something else they get often. Find out what it is, and stop giving it to them. They will eat.

Just remember you are the parent, and you control your kids. Don't let your kids decide what they eat, when they go to bed, ect. If you don't stay on top of it kids will control you. It may be more difficult at first to put your foot down but in the long run it pays off.

Unless he/she is really underweight I would not worry too much about it. Most likely they will catch up down the road. Kids grow at different rates. My sister has a boy a few months older than ours, and that kid is a tank. He is 4, and weighs more than his 7 year old sister.

obucina
11-08-10, 20:44
if you do have to obtain sterilized milk or even powdered milk, it will most likely be gone by the time you need it. I carry both parmalat and borden brand at work and have to throw it out as it collects dust and has to be disposed of due to being closely dated. Also, that stuff is not something that is typically carried with any degree of onhand inventory. Powdered milk might do you good, but keep it somewhere airtight.

motorwerks
11-09-10, 00:24
Just a little advice (you didn't ask for it so dont read anymore if you dont want it)......but you need to set those habits up now because they are going to get worse as time goes on.

Mehh I'm not terribly worried about the milk thing.... ever met a kid in the 4th grade that needed a bottle to go to sleep? Nether have I, all I'm say'n is that they will grow out of it. When I say bottle I mean sippy cup really, we are into those big sippy cup things that are bottle-ish. Shes not under weight but shes no where the size of her brother, hes a fricken Moose!

jjw
11-09-10, 15:26
here is what we use and we are very serious survivalists

parade instant dry milk
packed for the federated group Arlington hts Ill.
nothing else on the label

it is most excellent. i am a huge milk drinker. swapped my whiskey for milk in Viet Nam.

we use this as directed and add the small can of carnation cream tho u don't have to. bought at a local chain called "Marc's stores. local in Cleveland Akron area. 26oz makes 8 qt.

call me if u need more

330-670-9009

motorwerks
11-09-10, 17:25
Wow, AWESOME thank you very much!!!! Ill be checking into this right now!

Jake'sDad
11-14-10, 10:59
Despite the paid hype and "science", older kids and adults don't need milk, nor is it good for them. Do your kids a favor and wean them off.

MTR7
11-22-10, 19:08
Ok so I have kids as well. Wall Mart ( yeah they suck) Nestle whole, yes whole dry milk sealed in cans, large cans. Found it in the Hispanic food section about $13 and no shipping. My theory is that if we every need this we will need the fat calories in the whole milk versus the more common no fat dry milk.May be worth a look.
Regards
Toxic Matt R

motorwerks
11-23-10, 15:14
ohhhh thats easy we have a Walmart across the highway from us.

dschflier
07-24-11, 21:01
I have two kids and between the two of them we should just buy a cow. I have bought 2 boxes which have 4 large bags of dry milk each. I think each bag is about 5 gallons of milk. I get mine from restaurant Depot. If you own a business or know someone who does you can sign up to shop and get large quantities. I use it now when our gallon of milk is about half empty I fill it up and when it gets about a quarter empty I get it about half full. I also use it in pancakes. I use it so my kids dont notice a huge difference if we had to start using all dry milk. It also saves a bunch of money. They have never noticed the difference in the milk.

MIKE G
07-25-11, 04:31
The shelf stable boxes of milk aren't bad. It is what we got when deployed to Iraq. They are ultra high temp pasteurized which gives it the after taste, basically a slight carmelization of the sugars from the heat. It is generally shelf stable for 6 months and I have seen/drank the stuff after it sat in the summer Iraq sun for weeks on end. Just rotate it and use it like your regular milk.