PDA

View Full Version : First can - dedicated on an SBR upper

jrx35
11-08-10, 06:28
Already have a SBR 10.5". Have a Noveske 12.5 barrel for another SBR.

But instead of that, I was thinking about building a dedicated suppressor SBR upper. That is a can like a Trek or Ranger 2 threaded.

My logic:

- 12.5 is an ideal suppressor length barrel.
- a dedicated can is in theory more quiet than detachable ones with a FH or brake (e.g., Quickmount, Phantom, Blackout, or Brakeout).
- dedicated threaded cans are less expensive.
- dedicated threaded cans are lighter and shorter.
- I can always SBR later.

Provided that this makes sense, I was going to get a VTAC Extreme TRX 13"rail that will cover the threaded portion of the barrel.

Any opinions? Thanks.

markm
11-08-10, 20:11
Do you mean PERM the can to the barrel to avoid SBRing the second gun??? If so... I say no way.

I wouldn't want to clean my weapon with a can permanently mounted to the barrel. I wouldn't want a thread on can either.. unless I was running it on a bolt gun.

TehLlama
11-08-10, 22:58
Do you mean PERM the can to the barrel to avoid SBRing the second gun??? If so... I say no way.

I wouldn't want to clean my weapon with a can permanently mounted to the barrel. I wouldn't want a thread on can either.. unless I was running it on a bolt gun.

THIS. Run a spare upper for now, the net difference in cost between two tax stamps and three isn't that big.

tobasco
11-08-10, 23:45
No way

even the flush yhm intergrated 10/22 barrel is take apart for cleaning. Just doesn't sound lime a good idea

jrx35
11-10-10, 21:18

To be clear- not PERM'ing this upper. Given this, when I clean I can always unthread.

Fireman1291
11-11-10, 06:01
That would look pretty damn slick with the can mounted under the handguard. Like the 9mm cans on AR15 SBRs. The Ranger2 has a Inconel 718 blast baffle, so youd have a life on that can of around 15K rounds before its trashed.

jrx35
11-11-10, 06:13
Yup! I am trying to balance form and function.

rrpederson
11-12-10, 03:01
To be clear- not PERM'ing this upper. Given this, when I clean I can always unthread.

Okay, I need to clarify. Are you talking about building a second upper receiver, with a 12.5" barrel and thread-on suppressor, to go on a lower that is already sbr'ed? If so, keep in mind that thread-on suppressors can have a tendency to loosen themselves when you fire. So, you may run into a situation where you have a suppressor that is too hot to touch, and is too loose to continue firing safely. Maybe bring an oven mitt when you go and shoot. Other than that it might not be a bad idea, but I think that you may get bored with it quickly. Either way, good luck.

Richie

Enoc
11-12-10, 14:03
I would just get a SS Phantom 556 for $500 and keep it on the gun all the time rather than buying the thread on. It's close to the Ranger in price and definitely a nice option to have QD ability.

jrx35
11-12-10, 23:18
Okay, I need to clarify. Are you talking about building a second upper receiver, with a 12.5" barrel and thread-on suppressor, to go on a lower that is already sbr'ed? If so, keep in mind that thread-on suppressors can have a tendency to loosen themselves when you fire. So, you may run into a situation where you have a suppressor that is too hot to touch, and is too loose to continue firing safely. Maybe bring an oven mitt when you go and shoot. Other than that it might not be a bad idea, but I think that you may get bored with it quickly. Either way, good luck.

Richie

Richie- you're reading it right as it will go on a SBR'ed lower. Yes, that will concern me about loosening. Good idea also on the oven mitt!

jrx35
11-12-10, 23:19
I would just get a SS Phantom 556 for $500 and keep it on the gun all the time rather than buying the thread on. It's close to the Ranger in price and definitely a nice option to have QD ability.

I thought about that but the suppression performance is better on threaded cans and shorter and lighter. I did hold a Phantom but it was relatively heavy.

m249saw
11-13-10, 12:24
Im contemplating the same thing. Ranger 2 vs M4-2000.

Ranger II is lighter and shorter and cheaper.

But, no brake to soak up some erosion to the blast baffle. The Ranger has a 718 Inconel blast baffle, the rest are stainless, where as the M4-2000 uses all Inconel baffles.

I sent an email to AAC about the lifespan of a Ranger on a 10.5" and am awaiting a reply.

You could always Rocksett the Ranger on, but I wouldnt. The new Rangers have a much better thread than the older ones and are alot less likely to unscrew.

m249saw
11-13-10, 12:29
And even if its 15k rounds semi auto (probably more just not AS GOOD suppression as it erodes)

1000 rounds of 62 grain ammo $320 for example

15,000 is $4800

Ranger II with tax stamp (if you shop around) $700

New barrel (if you aren't using a hammer forged) after 15,000 rounds another $250-$350 anyways.

You have to look at the suppressor as a part that wears because it does. You can mitigate some of it but its inevitable it will wear.

jrx35
11-13-10, 14:50
And even if its 15k rounds semi auto (probably more just not AS GOOD suppression as it erodes)

1000 rounds of 62 grain ammo $320 for example

15,000 is $4800

Ranger II with tax stamp (if you shop around) $700

New barrel (if you aren't using a hammer forged) after 15,000 rounds another $250-$350 anyways.

You have to look at the suppressor as a part that wears because it does. You can mitigate some of it but its inevitable it will wear.

I have resigned myself to wear (accelerated?) on the barrel and bolt with a suppressor. For me I am now at the quandary of Ranger 2 vs Trek (not Trek Ti).

Threaded cans -- lighter, shorter and as you pointed out -- similar to sound suppression performance of more expensive QD cans.