PDA

View Full Version : Larue Stealth?

DSZM4
11-08-10, 07:44
I run a LMT CQB have for years its a great system this is what I run now.

LMT CQB 16" CL
LMT enhanced bolt
LMT carrier NP3
LMT sights
Vortex FH
Laser Device red laser
RX30
Hogue FDE
Black SOPMOD stock
RM FVG/Light
Steel Charging handle

This carbine is heavy at over 10 pounds this is now my CQB gun.

My short/mid range rifle is this

DD upper 16" CL not hammer forged 1:7
DD FSP rail
Magpul AFG FDE
MOE PG FDE( soon to be switched with a Hogue FDE)
CTR FDE stock
LMT rear sight
AO bolt and carrier
A2 flashider
RX30

What I'm looking for is opinions on the LaRue or others. I'm thinking a 18" or 20" sniper/counter sniper set up. A2 stock(I like this stock) Hogue grip, Mark 4 optic, Flashider (A2 or?), Magpul BUIS.

Why LaRue IMO is I like the rail and the way it attachs I like the beefed up upper. My CQB has alot of wear buit still a ton of life(only 14,000 rounds trhough). The LaRue upper is beefed up and still changable unlike the LMT. No feed ramps on the LaRue I like this too. Ion Bond barrel is a plus. I just wish he did 1:6 or 1:6.5.

I run my firearms a long time, I'm still using a FAL from 1999 and a M14 from 2003 I just keep upgrading them. So I need a good long term platform.

FYI I use a Beretta M96 Brigider with CT grips and a Safari thigh holster, Katz knife in a vest carrier and Vickers slings if I use a sling at all.

Mega
11-08-10, 14:02
What I'm looking for is opinions on the LaRue or others. I'm thinking a 18" or 20" sniper/counter sniper set up. A2 stock(I like this stock) Hogue grip, Mark 4 optic, Flashider (A2 or?), Magpul BUIS.

How does look to you?

The upper is a LaRue 18" ion-bond Stealth upper, with a 13.2" quad rail and a Harris bipod on a LaRue QD mount.
Optic is a Mueller 8.5-25x44AO Mildot scope on a LaRue SPR-E QD mount.
Charging handle is an LMT.

Lower is a LaRue billet stripped lower with a Stag LPK, KNS pins, Phase 5 Tactical EBRv2, Timney 3# trigger, TangoDown grip, and a Rock River A2 stock.

No BUS on this rifle because this is a range tool, not a fighting tool.
If the optic were to ever stop working (and it never has), I'd go home and fix it. ;)

Sling is a padded LaRue with my modifications.

http://www.mdshooters.com/gallery/files/4/4/4/1/1.jpg

500grains
11-08-10, 15:11
I had a Larue Stealth upper. Accuracy was fine but not fantastic. Uppers that I have assembled with now own inept hands turned out to be more accurate.

Personally I would get a Noveske 16" stainless for the role you describe. Super accurate. Also, 18 or 20 inches is not required for accuracy, and unless you are sniping at the absolute limit of the 5.56's distance capabilities, the extra barrel length gets you nothing but more difficult maneuverability.

IMO.

Mega
11-08-10, 15:15
I had a Larue Stealth upper. Accuracy was fine but not fantastic. Uppers that I have assembled with now own inept hands turned out to be more accurate.

Really...
Do you have any targets to show?

DSZM4
11-08-10, 15:26
I'm thinking a 18" with a 13.2 rail, not for accuracy so much but to keep it up in velocity a tad at 600 and for less muzzle blast and signature.

I was a short barrel accuracy guy 10 years ago so I'm not one of those long barrel accuracy fudds, but with my low post count I can understand why you brought it up.

500grains
11-08-10, 16:04
Really...
Do you have any targets to show?

Is confrontational rudeness your specialty?

Or are you offended that I have nor endorsed your favorite rifle?

Chill out.

Mega
11-08-10, 16:18
Is confrontational rudeness your specialty?

Or are you offended that I have nor endorsed your favorite rifle?

Not at all.

I have targets that I can show that prove the Stealth shoots quite accurately, with less than perfect ammo.

http://gallery.me.com/kevinfarrell/100158/DSCN0002_2/web.jpg?ver=12892484410001

That is 40 rounds (two 20 round magazines) at 100 yards using 75 grain Privi.
As you can see, 39 of those rounds are inside the 10 ring, and most of them are in the X ring.

"confrontational rudeness"? Not at all... Because I can prove my statements. ;)

Mega
11-08-10, 16:29
I'm thinking a 18" with a 13.2 rail, not for accuracy so much but to keep it up in velocity a tad at 600 and for less muzzle blast and signature.

If you have a range where you can shoot those distances, I think the 18 should do well for you.
My club range is limited in distance, so all of my work is done at 100 yards.

FWIW - I just replace the birdcage on my gun with a Battlecomp 1.0.
Can't wait to shoot it to see if the BC reduces muzzle flip.

Ric_Knight
11-08-10, 19:33
Accept this in the spirit intended please.

I was at the LaRue Range Day 2010 last month in Liberty Hills, Texas and got a chance to do a little shooting with several of the LaRue Models. I liked the Stealth but I found the OBRs to be more accurate. I was able to consistently put rounds on target at 500 yards with one of the 762 models set up in a similar manner to what you describe wanting. The 762 and 556 carbines all were accurate as well.

Like I said, with the crowds on site, there was no way I was going to get to put a large round count down range, but from my shooting and watching others shoot, the LaRue guns seem to be a good choice. They are on my wish list.

Captains1911
11-08-10, 20:08
Accept this in the spirit intended please.

I was at the LaRue Range Day 2010 last month in Liberty Hills, Texas and got a chance to do a little shooting with several of the LaRue Models. I liked the Stealth but I found the OBRs to be more accurate. I was able to consistently put rounds on target at 500 yards with one of the 762 models set up in a similar manner to what you describe wanting. The 762 and 556 carbines all were accurate as well.

Like I said, with the crowds on site, there was no way I was going to get to put a large round count down range, but from my shooting and watching others shoot, the LaRue guns seem to be a good choice. They are on my wish list.

Comparing a 7.62 OBR to a 5.56 Stealth is comparing apples to oranges. A much better comparison would be a 5.56 OBR Lite to a 7.62 OBR. Even if the OBR is more accurate, my Stealth shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards with quality ammo, I don't see how anything more accurate would matter. Point of diminishing returns theory.

Ric_Knight
11-08-10, 20:10
Sorry, I shot several models of both.

Belmont31R
11-08-10, 20:27
The difference in accuracy between the Stealth and OBR Lite would not be enough to discern at a range day. BTW I was there, too.

More likely the difference at something like that would be the gun zero'd for one shooter, using different ammo, ect.

As far as the OBR goes based on lots of velocity data Ive seen there is not a huge difference between a 16" and 20". Maybe 100FPS at the most, and more likely around 50FPS. The reason being the 308 is not a huge round, and burns most of its powder before 16". If you want to talk about a 24 or 26" bolt gun compared to a 16" gas gun there is a much bigger difference but hardly any between 16" and 18" or even 20".

What would drive my barrel length decision would be the end use. If I was going to "run" the gun Id get a 16". If I was going to shoot more long range with a more precision orientation Id get the 20". If you plan on doing both the 16" or 18".

Im on my 2nd Stealth upper, and in over 12k rounds combined between them Ive had exactly one failure, and that was a bad mag spring that didnt lock the bolt back.

Keep in mind both the OBR and OBR Lite are setup for precision applications with the built in MOA cant, SS barrels, and the weight. If that is what you are looking for its an excellent choice.

ETA: Just to clarify the FPS differences some barrels with differents numbers of lands will shoot different FPS. Generally barrels with less lands will shoot faster, some barrels have more drag, ect. Im comparing barrels in 308 from the same maker with the same numbers of lands with the same ammo at the same temps. There is not a huge velocity difference between 4" of barrel once you get far enough out the round has enough time to burn most of the powder. Even some guns with the same barrel length but different characteristics will have a 50-75FPS advantage. For instance a 3 groove 20" barrel will generally shoot a bit faster than a 5 or 6 grove barrel.

Ric_Knight
11-08-10, 21:27
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, it would have been cool to get to know someone from the board.

As I tried to indicate I was basing my post on a little (read short, limited, etc.) exposure that was all positive for me. I should maybe be more clear.

I would have to have a lot more experience with one to fully endorse the brand, but from limited exposure I think that this brand is well worth considering.

Belmont31R
11-08-10, 21:31
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you, it would have been cool to get to know someone from the board.

As I tried to indicate I was basing my post on a little (read short, limited, etc.) exposure that was all positive for me. I should maybe be more clear.

I would have to have a lot more experience with one to fully endorse the brand, but from limited exposure I think that this brand is well worth considering.

I shoot out at the same range weekly, and usually have a LaRue gun with me. Larue makes some awesome guns for their intended role.

Ric_Knight
11-08-10, 22:20
I shoot out at the same range weekly, and usually have a LaRue gun with me. Larue makes some awesome guns for their intended role.

We are shooting at Dietz Rifle Range in New Braunfels this Saturday starting at 1 if your interested.

Alaskapopo
11-09-10, 02:38

Personally I would get a Noveske 16" stainless for the role you describe. Super accurate. Also, 18 or 20 inches is not required for accuracy, and unless you are sniping at the absolute limit of the 5.56's distance capabilities, the extra barrel length gets you nothing but more difficult maneuverability.

IMO.

Actually 18 to 20 inch barrels get you a slightly flatter trajectory (more velocity) which makes hitting targets easier. My Stealth has been the most accurate AR15 I have owned. averaging .65 with 5 shot groups to date.
And 2 inches of barrel is not going to make the gun that much harder to maneuver.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/AR%20style%20rifles/Laruedesc.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Larue%20Stealth%20targets/Larue5shotgroupsbestever.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Larue%20Stealth%20targets/N140accuracyload.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Larue%20Stealth%20targets/LarueVargetgroups.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Larue%20Stealth%20targets/H355.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Larue%20Stealth%20targets/Laruegroups6-28-10.jpg
pat