PDA

View Full Version : 6ft 285 lbs/asthma...where to start?

ASH556
11-08-10, 10:50
The title pretty much says it all. I'm 27, the only formal exercise I've ever done was one semester of weight training in high school. I did a lot of manual labor through college (Delivering windows, doors, lumber) so that kept me in decent muscle mass. Here are my current measurements: 6' 0.5"; 285lb; 40-42in waist; 17-1/2" bicep, 16-1/7" forearm. Basically, I'm big. I do have a large frame (i.e. my wrists and ankles are large skeletally) However, I've got too much fat. I've had asthma pretty bad ever since I was a kid, so running and I don't get along. I have tried an inhaler prior to running with limited success. My diet currently consists of

Breakfast: Banana Nut or Blueberry Muffin, Black Coffee
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with Provelone on Honey Wheat Bread, Wheat Thins or Sunchips, 2 Oreos.
Dinner: Either a repeat of lunch or meat, starch, veggie for dinner.

I have a nice Eliptical (Sole E-35) and some Bowflex Select-tec Dumbells. The problem is, just like buying a nice gun won't make you a good shooter, buying equipment doesn't get you in shape. The problem is, I don't know how to use it.

I'm not really interested in becoming a fitness nut, but I'd like to shave some (about 40) pounds and be in better shape. Can you guys make a few, simple suggestions that I can do to get to my goal? I'm not all into joining a gym (don't have the money/time, and I already have some equipment at home) I'd like to know some things I can do with what I have to get better. Also, pushups, and sit-ups are good. The thing I have the hardest time with is how many to do and what to do (and how much weight for the dumbells?)

Thanks in advance!

stifled
11-08-10, 12:13
Swim. It's the best cardiovascular exercise for someone with severe activity-induced asthma, which includes me. It's relatively low impact as the water supports your weight and it forces you to regulate your breathing. I was recommended swimming by my asthma and allergy doctor when I was young and joined the swim team for a couple of years. While I wasn't the best swimmer, it definitely helped get my heart and lungs up to task without having to lean heavily on my inhaler. Lately I've been using Advair as maintenance medication and have had a fraction of the asthma attacks I did when I was younger, so can work out almost normally--I just can't totally exhaust myself.

The downsides are obvious--not everyone has a pool, and even if you do you can't swim in it all year most areas. Public pools are a definite option if you have an indoor one nearby, and most gyms have them though I know you don't want to join one. But, if you transition into a low impact exercise, cutting time off your swimming to compensate, in a few months you should be able to drop the swimming in favor of your elliptical machine at low resistance.

rsgard
11-08-10, 12:15
Do you take a daily medicine for you asthma?

If at anytime you need to use a rescue inhaler, such as albuterol then you asthma is not under control.

I have asthma that is induced by allergies and exercise. I take advair 100/50 daily and have not had breathing problems since i started taking it years ago. I do occasionally have problems when i dont take it as recommended. I take it once a day instead of twice if i dont have any physical activity planned, that stuff gets expensive.

Hmac
11-08-10, 12:28
A body mass index of 38 in a 27 year old is worrisome for development of those medical issues and a subsequently shortened lifespan.

Do you have other medical problems ie blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol/lipids?

stifled
11-08-10, 13:09
Do you take a daily medicine for you asthma?

If at anytime you need to use a rescue inhaler, such as albuterol then you asthma is not under control.

I have asthma that is induced by allergies and exercise. I take advair 100/50 daily and have not had breathing problems since i started taking it years ago. I do occasionally have problems when i dont take it as recommended. I take it once a day instead of twice if i dont have any physical activity planned, that stuff gets expensive.

I take mine once a day as well, after talking to my doctor about not feeling like I need it twice a day. I still have the occasional attack, though it's usually brought on by allergies or doing something strenuous in cold weather. I agree with you for the most part though--if you're having more than a couple asthma attacks per week then you should probably talk to your doctor about it. There are a number of maintenance medications which can keep your asthma largely under control. I've stopped carrying my Proventil with me except in the winter, even.

ASH556
11-08-10, 13:34
A body mass index of 38 in a 27 year old is worrisome for development of those medical issues and a subsequently shortened lifespan.

Do you have other medical problems ie blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol/lipids?

No other issues at all. Not even in the warning dept. for blood pressure or cholesterol.

Hmac
11-08-10, 13:45
No other issues at all. Not even in the warning dept. for blood pressure or cholesterol.

That's good news. You have a lot at stake then relative to getting the extra weight off, because those things are coming if you don't. Good luck. I hope you can find a lifestyle that can get you down where you need to be.

ASH556
11-08-10, 13:46
Swim.

The issue I have here is that water and I don't get along. I have bad sinus issues that water aggrivates (in the nose or ears) I'm one of those guys that if I sneeze once, it turns into a sinus infection, which heightens the asthma.

I'm not trying to shut down suggestions, but I need something I can sustain, and swimming just wouldn't be one of those things.

Let's say this: 30 min/Mon-Fri on the Eliptical "hill" program.
50 Push-ups
50 sit-ups
15 25lb curls
15 25lb tricep press

Would this gain me anything? I guess what I'm really missing is efficiency of time in working out.

FWIW, Here's a pic of me in College delivering stuff. I'm the same size now. Not exactly a "lard ass" (I don't think) but could use some slimming up.
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/doorcarry2.jpg

Hmac
11-08-10, 13:53
If you want to determine whether your BMI of 38 means you actually are obese, go see a nutritionist and have them measure your skin fold thickness so you can estimate your body fat percentage.

stifled
11-08-10, 14:15
The issue I have here is that water and I don't get along. I have bad sinus issues that water aggrivates (in the nose or ears) I'm one of those guys that if I sneeze once, it turns into a sinus infection, which heightens the asthma.

I'm not trying to shut down suggestions, but I need something I can sustain, and swimming just wouldn't be one of those things.

Let's say this: 30 min/Mon-Fri on the Eliptical "hill" program.
50 Push-ups
50 sit-ups
15 25lb curls
15 25lb tricep press

Would this gain me anything? I guess what I'm really missing is efficiency of time in working out.

FWIW, Here's a pic of me in College delivering stuff. I'm the same size now. Not exactly a "lard ass" (I don't think) but could use some slimming up.
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/doorcarry2.jpg

I'm going to understand having to limit what you can and can't do, especially when it comes to exercise, more than most on this site. Swimming worked great for me and that's why I suggested it--I thankfully don't have sinus problems on top of everything else wrong with my respiratory system.

Any amount of exercise gains you something--extra calories burnt, at the very least. For me, what works best is a 5 minute or so warm-up followed by getting as close as I can to out of breath and maintaining it as long as I can. It's a balancing act to be sure, but I've had asthma for 23 years and know my lungs quite well.

Longer, low impact workouts are more beneficial to cardiovascular fitness and will help you lose weight faster. They'll also benefit your asthma more. Intensive workouts benefit your non-cardio muscles more, and will convert fat into muscle so you could easily gain weight. Body mass indexes are basically worthless, especially for people with large frames or who are built, as they only take into account your sex, age, height, and weight.

500grains
11-08-10, 15:19
A big guy like you typically responds very well to the Adkins diet. It's very simple, and I will write it below:

1. LIMIT YOUR DAILY CARB INTAKE TO 10 CARBS ONLY!

2. Eat anything you want in as much quantity as you want as long as you obey rule #1. Your body will self-regulate your appetite. Briefly, you can eat meat, fish, poultry, green vegetables. No grains, fruit, sugar.

3. Read the label on everything you eat for carb content. If there is no label (celery), look it up on the internet for carb content.

4. Drink at least 1 gallon of water daily to flush out the toxins stored in the fat that you are burning.

5. Exercise at least half an hour TWICE DAILY. This keeps your metabolism up all day and night to burn more fat. As mentioned above, do not exercise at maximum output. You should exercise at a "fat burning level", which is basically half to 2/3 of what you are capable of.

6. Incorporate weight training into your exercise routine. Pure cardio work will not burn as many calories as you will burn if you add some weight lifting.

That is all.

Good luck!!

spartan09
11-08-10, 15:41
Try walking for an hour a day. I lost a huge amount of conditioning after switching to a sedentary occupation. As my conditioning decreased and my work demands increased, I found it harder and harder to keep up with any exercise program and also increasingly frustrating. Over the course of about eight years, I gained 50 pounds. I finally resolved to get up one hour earlier each day, weather immaterial, and walk briskly. By focusing on diet (portion control, limited alcohol, no fried food) and walking, I have lost about 30 pounds in six months, mostly off my mid-section and thighs. I am guessing you would see quicker results walking than with the elliptical. I am now at the point where I am running more than walking. The weight loss has slowed. The keys for me and, IMHO you, is to focus on regular (daily) cardio at an intensity that does not tax you to the point that you cannot repeat it the next day.

I would also echo what others have said about your asthma. Do nothing until you and your doctor are satisfied you will be able to safely exercise.

rsgard
11-08-10, 18:23
Ive seen adkins work with a guy i work with. he lost like 40 lbs, but his heart rate was over 130 for the whole time.

It works great for some people just pay attention to whats goin on with your body.

I dont do great with diets so i always just followed the in and out rule, less in than whats going out.

PEANUT BUTTER is magic food if you get the all natural kind. Sure its high in calories but its got lots of protein and it absolutely kills your appetite which is the most important part.

Hmac
11-08-10, 18:42
It's important to distinguish between a diet and a lifestyle change. Diets alone are successful in permanent weight loss about 2% of the time. Sustaining the lifestyle change...that's what it takes.

Cruncher Block
11-08-10, 20:56
FWIW and in my humble experience....

I was not happy with many of the daily steroid asthma treatments when I was on them. The ones from 10 years ago seemed to cause me a lot of muscle pain. It was almost like my muscles became "brittle". Newer treatments may be better.

Honestly, the most success I had controlling asthma came from controlling allergies. When I got the sneezy, itchy-throat, sinus-filling misery under control, my lungs did much better.

Once the allergies and asthma were under control, cardiovascular conditioning became much less miserable. The benefits spiral up from there: easier breathing allows for more strenuous conditioning which allows for easier breathing and so on.

120mm
11-08-10, 21:41
Try walking for an hour a day. I lost a huge amount of conditioning after switching to a sedentary occupation. As my conditioning decreased and my work demands increased, I found it harder and harder to keep up with any exercise program and also increasingly frustrating. Over the course of about eight years, I gained 50 pounds. I finally resolved to get up one hour earlier each day, weather immaterial, and walk briskly. By focusing on diet (portion control, limited alcohol, no fried food) and walking, I have lost about 30 pounds in six months, mostly off my mid-section and thighs. I am guessing you would see quicker results walking than with the elliptical. I am now at the point where I am running more than walking. The weight loss has slowed. The keys for me and, IMHO you, is to focus on regular (daily) cardio at an intensity that does not tax you to the point that you cannot repeat it the next day.

I would also echo what others have said about your asthma. Do nothing until you and your doctor are satisfied you will be able to safely exercise.

+1000 on walking. Most underrated exercise, ever. When I lost my 80 pounds in 2007, I attribute most of it to walking an hour a day, 6 days a week.

TehLlama
11-08-10, 22:47
Swimming and biking is extremely effective, but if you're not having your asthma triggered in an area you're able to walk, then that's the exercise of choice. A pretty modest reduction in calories and slight improvement in the quality of food will go a long way.

Hmac
11-08-10, 23:02
Do you have heartburn or other signs/symptoms of esophageal reflux? Even a tiny amount is a very common trigger or cause of asthma. And that is exacerbated by obesity. Asthma is a co-morbidity commonly accepted by insurance companies for approving weight-loss surgery. Not saying' you need that yet, just saying'...

Mr. Goodtimes
11-09-10, 11:50
Dont take this wrong, this is all meant in a friendly tone to help you out..

Breakfast: Banana Nut or Blueberry Muffin, Black Coffee
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich with Provelone on Honey Wheat Bread, Wheat Thins or Sunchips, 2 Oreos.
Dinner: Either a repeat of lunch or meat, starch, veggie for dinner. !

This diet sucks. Oreos, muffins and chips? Yea sunchips beat potatoe chips but their still chips. Eat a diet with complex carbs along with good fats and protein. Adkins sucks, avoid it. Your body needs carbs for brain function and energy production amongst other things. Not only are you not eating much, but you still have junk food in there. Eag a super clean diet with lots of grilled/baked chicken, lean beef and good carbs such as swee potatoe, rice, oatmeal and whole grain pasta. Eat tons of veggies. Spinach is awesome.

Crash diets like the one you posted that lack calories and nutrients will shed weight real fast but you're also likely to gain a lot of it back, they're also horrible for you.

I have a nice Eliptical (Sole E-35) and some Bowflex Select-tec Dumbells. The problem is, just like buying a nice gun won't make you a good shooter, buying equipment doesn't get you in shape. The problem is, I don't know how to use it.

I'm not really interested in becoming a fitness nut, but I'd like to shave some (about 40) pounds and be in better shape. Can you guys make a few, simple suggestions that I can do to get to my goal? I'm not all into joining a gym (don't have the money/time, and I already have some equipment at home) I'd like to know some things I can do with what I have to get better. Also, pushups, and sit-ups are good. The thing I have the hardest time with is how many to do and what to do (and how much weight for the dumbells?)

Thanks in advance!

Dont do curls or any other isolation exercise for that matter... they're gay, and they do virtually nothing for you other than make you looks like a tool. Look into crossfit or olympic lifting. Compound exercises are whats going to build the most muscle and as a result burn the most fat. Instead of doing curls, do pullups, rows, power cleans, hang cleans etc.

Good lifts that will shed fat and build muscle?

Dead lifts, Squats, Power Cleans, Snatches, Dumb Bell snatches, bench press, over head presses, pushups, pullups, dumb bell presses, kettle bell swings.

There is no "set" number of reps that you should do. Push your self. Your a big boy, so naturally your not going to be the best at endurance exercises with high rep ranges (like pushups/pullups/dips), you should be beast at powerlifting/olympic lifting style exercises though. If you want a pushups goal to get to... Get to where you can do 20 sets of 20 (Total 400) or maybe a max set of 100.

I'm not a trainer and I'm no where near your weight (I'm 6' 186lbs at about 10% BF) but I do lots of functional lifting (ie crossfit) and I'm in pretty damn good shape.

Heres an example work out I might do

Max rounds in 30min of

Deadlifts (225x8)
Back Squats(135x12)
Pushups (x25)
Pullups (x10)
Knees to Elbows (x10)

Hope some of this helps. PM me if you got any questions :)

ASH556
11-09-10, 15:03
Mr. Goodtimes:
No offense taken, I actually got a good laugh out of that. It's funny what you can talk yourself into thinking is healthy. The workout stuff is much appreciated; something I can use as a guide. What constitutes complex carbs? I don't really like sweet stuff for breakfast (was choking down the muffins 'cause I thought they were better than a sausage/egg/cheese buscuit, but maybe not) What about an egg mc muffin instead?

stifled
11-09-10, 15:13
Eating at McD's is pretty much out of the question if you're trying to lose weight.

Complex carbohydrates are things like pasta and bread. They are just carbohydrates that take your digestive system a long time to break down, which as a result give you energy over a long period of time instead of the burst of energy simple carbohydrates like sugar give you.

spartan09
11-09-10, 16:08
Anywhere in America you can find enough fruits and vegetables year round to eat healthily. Even most fast food joints sell salads nowadays. Packing your own lunch or snack and drinking water is also an effective way to lose weight and save money.

On strength training, bear in mind that your muscle strength will increase a lot faster than your flexibility, your tendons' strength and your ligaments' strength. Especially if you are starting from a point of untrained/detrained, you need to make sure that you anatomically adapt to strength training and do not engage in meathead activity which blows our your joints or tears something you do not want torn.

Heartbreaker
11-09-10, 18:22
Here's a great resource for getting started - http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html
Diet is far more important than exercise for weight loss. Your best bet is to use an online calorie counter to ensure you are eating a calorie deficit, but it's a bit of a pain. As far as exercise goes if you are serious you need a set routine, a preferably not one of your own creation, as many experienced people have put together ones that work well. IIRC that link advocates the Starting Strength program which would require a gym, but there are decent dumbell only splits that you could use with your adjustables, check out sites like bodybuilding.com for a dumbell only routine.

Mjolnir
11-10-10, 07:51
There's some good info here. I'd recommend subcribing to Men's Health magazine, too. Essentially, immerse yourself into fitness and health.

Drop ALL fast foods. Period. Drop ALL refined sugars and refined flour.

I'd highly recommend something like Pilates to improve your flexibility. As you age flexibility goes first and the way you're built your flexibility is probably not your strong suit. Not an insult - I wish I were built more like you (and kept much of my endurance and quickness) as I would have played pro football.

Flexibility
Cardio
Strength

is the combination I'd recommend.

The other awesome advice is drink a gallon of water of day (and when you're able to work out regularly whatever your weight is in lbs consume that much water in ounces.

Hmac
11-10-10, 10:45
Diet is far more important than exercise for weight loss. Your best bet is to use an online calorie counter to ensure you are eating a calorie deficit, but it's a bit of a pain.

This is true. You are far more able to sustain a calorie deficit by not taking them in than by burning them. The problem is...does that represent a diet, or a lifestyle? No doubt you can lose the weight by calorie counting, but what happens after you lose it? If you go back to eating the way you were (old lifestyle), you'll gain it all back and likely more. Likewise, can you sustain a calorie-burning lifestyle? Hit the gym 3-5 days a week for the rest of your life? If not, you'll gain the weight back even faster.

Sadly, diet and exercise programs as a means of sustaining a healthy weight range rarely work unless you can be part of that 2% of the population that can manage that lifestyle epiphany.

As to eating "healthy", it's not about what you eat, it's how much you eat. There's nothing wrong with a hamburger and fries from McDonalds. The problem is with three hamburgers from McDonald's along with the super-sized fries.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-10-10, 18:18
Mr. Goodtimes:
No offense taken, I actually got a good laugh out of that. It's funny what you can talk yourself into thinking is healthy. The workout stuff is much appreciated; something I can use as a guide. What constitutes complex carbs? I don't really like sweet stuff for breakfast (was choking down the muffins 'cause I thought they were better than a sausage/egg/cheese buscuit, but maybe not) What about an egg mc muffin instead?

Glad you got a good laugh bro ;)

I would avoid McDonalds like the plague. If you want an egg anc cheese mufin, make it your self. Everything down there is cooked in butter and grease and generally is low quality food.

Also, don't just cut calories right away, taper them down over a couple of weeks to let your body adjust and then once your ready to start lifting hard and packing on muscle (call it a clean bulk) taper them back up. This way your dont gain a bunch of fat. If you cut calories too fast, your body will store more fat (even though you cut calories)... make sense?

Also, (judging by your pictures) your a huge dude (big frame) so, your not going to ever look like one of those skinny little faggots in an A&F poster. But thats a good thing. Truth be told, I dont want to look like one of them, ever. Id rather eat more and squat more than have some beach muscle.

I think I listed examples of complex carbs in my original post but just in case... Complex carbs are:

-Whole grain pasta
-Potatoes, especially swee potatoes (these are more of a starch)
-Oats

Eat lots of veggies and fruit as well. Fruit is awesome before a work out. I've found bananas are great after as well.

theblackknight
11-14-10, 14:33
Dude, your built like a bear. DO BEAR STUFF.

Lift old truck rear ends in your backyard and stuff. Not everybody is built to run triathalons

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 19:02
I have some friends that tried this and they now highly recommend it. As soon as I get settled in my next location I will be doing it as well.

https://www.visalussciences.com/bbvi_us/bbviwelcome.aspx?wid=793a34a3-b708-4245-83a6-a348cb80894b&id=449840

Most of them have chosen package #2. The results have been very inspiring.

Magsz
11-15-10, 00:28
Dude, your built like a bear. DO BEAR STUFF.

Lift old truck rear ends in your backyard and stuff. Not everybody is built to run triathalons

Rofl.

Thats an awesome post! I love it.

Cutting calories will work in the short term but it is not sustainable, not at all. I went from being a 300+ pound sack of fat shit to 195. I still have alot of fat on me that i want to lose but i know over time i will lose it.

Ive learned alot over the past ten years of fighting with my weight.

1. Cutting calories as mentioned prior is not sustainable in the long run. Your body will crave food. You will become weak and you will eventually strip your body of muscle mass if you're trying to sustain yourself on 1500 calories a day for the rest of your life.
2. You've got to eat to grow. The key is to eat good quality foods that will support muscle growth and work with your body to be metabolized correctly.
3. Cardio is over rated as a method to lose fat. You can control your weight and fat loss strictly with diet depending on how dedicated you are. Cardio enlarges your calorific deficit and gives you more leeway if you do not have a perfect diet. The best forms of cardio for fat loss are walking, swimming and other low impact exercises UNLESS you're looking to condition yourself.
4. Machines dont work themselves. Weights also do not lift themselves. You need to find a sustainable program for yourself that you can continue for the rest of your life without driving yourself insane. Variety is the space of life. See if you can incorporate some form of lifting or strenuous exercise into your daily lifestyle. Install a pullup bar into a secure doorway (you're huge, you might pull the house down) and go to town whenever the hell you're feeling spunky.
5. Eat a shit ton of protein. Its filling, its satisfying, it helps support muscle growth and recovery. Make sure its good quality lean proteins, not skirt steak every day. :)

There's a lot more to this but the bottom line is that you need to find what works for you. There are general rules that you can stick to but by and large everyone leads a different lifestyle and one persons program that works wonders for them may not work for you.

For example, there are tons of guys out there in fantastic shape that run three times a week. I dont have time for that, nor can my weak, boy like ankles support that kind of punishment. Instead, i make it a point to walk the dog three times a day for at least 10-15 minutes per walk.

Also, dont over do it. Its very easy to get addicted to exercise once you see results but that can be a detriment believe it or not. The first time i lost 120 pounds i ended up looking like a fat Ethiopian...dont ask, it was hideous.

You have a great frame to build on, you're a huge dude and alot of small, little guys around the world are envious of the natural skeletal mass that you have. Work with it, decide what you want and GET STRONG.(er)

300WM
11-17-10, 21:54
Complex carbohydrates are unrefined sugars that naturally occur in foods before processing. Table sugar contains simple carbohydrates where as an apple contains complex. Search the web (if you have not already) for a list of foods high in complex carbs. These foods greatly contribute to good digestive health which is a major factor in over all good health. Also, google a glycymic index. Even if not a diabetic, low glycemic foods can help you lose weight (as long as you are not adding butter, sugar, or other empty calories) and they will satisfy your hunger.