PDA

View Full Version : Making Snap Caps

wingspar
11-08-10, 13:25
I’ve got some commercial snap caps in 9mm, but I’d like to make some of my own in 7.62x39. What I’m thinking is to remove the bullet and the powder, then place the casing in the gun, and fire the primer, then glue the bullet back in. Is this feasible, and how would I go about safely removing the bullet without damaging the casing?

My plan is to just leave the primer in place. I’m more interested in watching ammo cycle with the dust cover off (AK-47) than actually pulling the trigger, tho I wonder if the old primer would be enough for an occasional strike by the firing pin.

m1a_scoutguy
11-08-10, 13:47
Ya can use one of these,,http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=34468/Product/RCBS_Bullet_Puller_w_o_Collet Or Or one of these !!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=630146
Pop the primer,,reinsert the bullet,,crip and be on your way !! You could also find some New brass,,fill the primer pocket with silicone,,seat bullet,,crip and your good to go also !!! The choice is yours !! I know Magpul mags dummy rounds for the 5.56,,maybe someone makes them for the 7.62x39 also !!

wingspar
11-08-10, 14:47
Cost is an issue here, and since I have nearly 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39, that would be a very cheap way to accomplish about 5 rounds of snap caps. I would paint them also to distinguish from live ammo.

MidwayUSA has A-ZOOM snap caps in 5.56 and 7.62, tho when I looked the other day, the 7.62 was out of stock, but they are back in stock now. It’s $10.99 for just two 7.62 snap caps. Kind of spendy. I was just thinking since I have so many 7.62 rounds that I paid about 18 cents per round for, that would be a cheap economical way to make some dummy rounds if it was even possible to do that. If I have to buy special equipment to accomplish removing the bullet and powder, I’d rather plunk the money down on a couple of A-ZOOM’s.

NMBigfoot02
11-09-10, 14:13
I've made dummy rounds before to set/test overall length when reloading, but there are two problems using these for dry firing/action proving: 1. There's no easy way to tell them apart from live rounds other than painting them bright orange, which would probably wear off quickly and need to be reapplied with successive use and 2. the bullet may setback after several chamberings. As mentioned above, you could fill the void with silicone or something, but in all honesty, I would just buy some aluminum snap caps if you can find them. It'll be a lot less trouble.

wingspar
11-09-10, 14:54
Since I posted last, the 7.62x39 snap caps came back into stock, and I had enough other stuff to order that I went ahead and ordered the snap caps. So, I will probably scrap the idea of making snap caps for now. Thanks for the input.

A-Bear680
11-09-10, 16:31
What he said:

Ya can use one of these,,http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=34468/Product/RCBS_Bullet_Puller_w_o_Collet Or Or one of these !!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=630146
Pop the primer,,reinsert the bullet,,crip and be on your way !! You could also find some New brass,,fill the primer pocket with silicone,,seat bullet,,crip and your good to go also !!! The choice is yours !! I know Magpul mags dummy rounds for the 5.56,,maybe someone makes them for the 7.62x39 also !!

The homemade dummies are a little more durable if a drop of superglue is smeared inside the case neck.
I have always drilled small holes in the cases as a permanent identifier.
Painting won't hurt either.
I don't use home brewed dummies much anymore , because the yellow or orange plastic dummies are instantly identifible and cheap in the 50 round bags..

wingspar
11-10-10, 01:37
Since I found some 7.62.39 snap caps in stock and ordered them, I might not need to make any home made snap caps now. (Yes, I would use glue to get the bullet back in the case). However, I still do wonder how to get the bullet out of the case safely without damaging the case, and without spending any money for special tools. Is it possible?

mike_556
11-10-10, 07:58
Since I found some 7.62.39 snap caps in stock and ordered them, I might not need to make any home made snap caps now. (Yes, I would use glue to get the bullet back in the case). However, I still do wonder how to get the bullet out of the case safely without damaging the case, and without spending any money for special tools. Is it possible?

Cheap kinetic bullet puller--every reloader should own one, costs about $9 and can be invaluable if and when needed. ;)

wingspar
11-10-10, 10:49
Cheap kinetic bullet puller--every reloader should own one, costs about $9 and can be invaluable if and when needed. ;)

I do not reload, nor do I ever intend to reload, but for the heck of it, I went to MidwayUSA and searched for “bullet puller” in the reloading section, and see that m1a_scoutguy linked me to one of those in his post. I just didn’t realize what I was looking at then, or how it would help me. If I had the full picture of what that tool was when I placed an order at MidwayUSA yesterday, I might have put one in the cart for the heck of it. As it is, the more I think about it, the more I feel the two snap caps I ordered yesterday will fill the bill.

hals1
11-19-10, 08:25
I do not reload, nor do I ever intend to reload, but for the heck of it, I went to MidwayUSA and searched for “bullet puller” in the reloading section, and see that m1a_scoutguy linked me to one of those in his post. I just didn’t realize what I was looking at then, or how it would help me. If I had the full picture of what that tool was when I placed an order at MidwayUSA yesterday, I might have put one in the cart for the heck of it. As it is, the more I think about it, the more I feel the two snap caps I ordered yesterday will fill the bill.

You can buy the RCBS kinetic puller at any Walmart that carries reloading stuff for about $9-10. They look like a hammer.

mbogo
11-19-10, 09:32
I only make snap caps for my revolvers. I cut pieces of pencil eraser and insert them into the primer pockets so the firing pin hits something that yields while dry firing.

When the eraser becomes unusable, I just replace it.

mbogo

Ledanek
02-24-13, 23:39
Glad I found this thread.

First time I've come across these.

I picked up A-Zoom 223 from Bass Pro (no 556 available) Not sure where to start. This package came with 2 practice rounds. $10

What exercises do you perform with it?
How many do you load in a magazine to get a proper exercise?

In the Corps we used to aim at drums and dry fire. These may come handy while I practice my aiming and squeezing the triggers and practice breathings too.