PDA

View Full Version : New to firearms and I want to join the NRA

Chris60119
11-08-10, 16:16
Should I join the NRA first? I really do want to be part of it and support it. Someone also said if your a member you can get discounnts on some firearms..If this is true. I definatly want to join before I pick up a firearm. Can anyone confirm this?

dennisuello
11-08-10, 16:19
I used to be an NRA member, now I am a life-member of GOA. I don't care about discounts/etc, all I care is that an organization represents me.

TOrrock
11-08-10, 16:26
I've never gotten a discount for being an NRA member, but a lot of private ranges require NRA membership.

I'd highly recommend joining up.

ryan
11-08-10, 16:29
Welcome Chris, get some training on how to safely handle firearms. Then go find a gun that fits you and suits your purpose buy it a crapload of ammo and shoot it like you wanna keep it, worry about which gun rights advocacy group you support later.

Chris60119
11-08-10, 16:48
Welcome Chris, get some training on how to safely handle firearms. Then go find a gun that fits you and suits your purpose buy it a crapload of ammo and shoot it like you wanna keep it, worry about which gun rights advocacy group you support later.

My roommate has been shooting guns his whole life. I look forward to getting out to the ranges with him.. I have a Kimber on order and really look forward to shooting it and learning all the ins and outs of it.

taylodr
11-08-10, 17:04
Definitely join - I renew every year at a gun show and get in for free. The primary reason you should join is so that you can keep your gun once you get it. The NRA helps defend our rights against people who think that our constitution is not important.

Hmac
11-08-10, 17:05
It's bad enough that joining the NRA will net you a TON of junk mail and evening telephone soliciitation calls...but if you give them your email address you also will get endless spam. If those things don't bother you, go ahead and join up. If you are already getting enough of that crap, consider donating to the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action via money order or bank check instead of buying a membership. The money goes to the same causes and you'll get less crap in your inbox.

Chris60119
11-08-10, 17:18
It's bad enough that joining the NRA will net you a TON of junk mail and evening telephone soliciitation calls...but if you give them your email address you also will get endless spam. If those things don't bother you, go ahead and join up. If you are already getting enough of that crap, consider donating to the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action via money order or bank check instead of buying a membership. The money goes to the same causes and you'll get less crap in your inbox.

I've herd that about the NRA. I do have 2 emails. One that I use regulary and another for stuff that I sign up for. The home phone calls are the things I'm not excited about..All I have is my cell phone and not a lot of minutes every month..

Hmac
11-08-10, 17:30
I've herd that about the NRA. I do have 2 emails. One that I use regulary and another for stuff that I sign up for. The home phone calls are the things I'm not excited about..All I have is my cell phone and not a lot of minutes every month..

If you join, don't fill in the blanks giving them your phone number or your email address. If you do, a partial list of your new friends and email buddies can be found here (http://www.nra.org/affiliates.aspx). And you can expect a telephone call, every time they have a new fundraising drive.

TriumphRat675
11-08-10, 17:33
They will take you off their phone call list if you ask them to. I'm not their biggest cheerleader and you will get a lot of junk mail, but the NRA has political clout no other gun organization does.

It makes sense to hold off on buying that Kimber until you have a chance to shoot several different types of gun and figure out what works best for you.

TOrrock
11-08-10, 18:09
Get on their no contact list and it's not an issue.

I never get spam or junk mail.

It's a non issue.

Artos
11-08-10, 18:20
Get on their no contact list and it's not an issue.

I never get spam or junk mail.

It's a non issue.

thank you...i get real tired of hearing this complaint.

taylodr
11-08-10, 18:58
It is true that they will send you a lot of junk mail (though some is informative like the new accidental death and dismemberment for free), but I have not bothered to get on the list to stop it. I have never received a call from them though.

Chris60119
11-08-10, 21:57
It is true that they will send you a lot of junk mail (though some is informative like the new accidental death and dismemberment for free), but I have not bothered to get on the list to stop it. I have never received a call from them though.

I could care less about junk mail. At least it's not bills. I guess you can get on there no call list, so thats good. I'm going to go ahead and join this week. I look forward to being part of the NRA..

pilotguyo540
11-09-10, 22:07
I think they have done a lot of good and have some great programs, but overall they have sold us out too many times. I gave up membership 10 years ago and will not go back any time soon. I wish I felt otherwise.

A-Bear680
11-14-10, 15:28
Word:

I've never gotten a discount for being an NRA member, but a lot of private ranges require NRA membership.

I'd highly recommend joining up.

The NRA is still the biggest and most feared gun rights organization. The Second Amendment Foundation is number two and they work well with the NRA . Still , nobody flips Fuds better than the NRA . It takes votes to win.

Larry Pratt of GOA buried the hatchet months ago . Still , the bullshit has a half life measued in years . It's like the dreaded HR45 that was DOA right from the start.
www.nra.org
www.saf.org

We are winning.

YMMV

;)

GermanSynergy
01-05-11, 18:48
If you are a law abiding gun owner, it is your duty to join the NRA, period.

For Christmas I purchased every immediate gun owning member of my family an Associate Membership for $10.

They certainly have their shortcomings, but they possess tremendous clout when it comes to lobbying power in Washington D.C.

Join today!

DragonDoc
01-05-11, 19:20

I am a member of the NRA. I opted in on the emails and the phone calls were only during the election cycle. No big deal seeing as how I was getting calls from other political groups anyway. It has been a few months since the NRA called me so all is good. Don't be afraid to join. Keep your membership active and later on you can even elect to support other gun advocacy groups. An NRA membership is the baseline for all gun owners. Enjoy your Kimber and welcome to the fold.

arbninftry
01-05-11, 22:37
I used to be an NRA member, now I am a life-member of GOA. I don't care about discounts/etc, all I care is that an organization represents me.

I agree, when the NRA supported people like Reid (up until recently last year) who voted for the Clinton era Modern Firearms Ban(or the AWB), it just pissed me off. However they do have a lot of clout, but really need to look harder at whom they support sometimes in elections. Join at least one Gun organization, there are others- NAGR and GOA are two others.

Brimstone
01-05-11, 22:49
I agree, when the NRA supported people like Reid (up until recently last year) who voted for the Clinton era Modern Firearms Ban(or the AWB), it just pissed me off. However they do have a lot of clout, but really need to look harder at whom they support sometimes in elections. Join at least one Gun organization, there are others- NAGR and GOA are two others.

In hindsight, the NRA made the correct choice supporting Reid. If Reid had lost, we could have an anti-gun nut running the Senate. As much as Reid sucks on everything else he keeps the anti-gun stuff from seeing the light of day in the Senate. That is the NRAs goal and their only issue. It was the right choice for the NRA.

I am more irritated with the NRA for trying to take credit for the Heller decision.

ucrt
01-06-11, 00:04

I recommend joining, Life Membership if you are young enough to get the value. They used to have "lay aways" on Life Membership where you pay over 2-years or something like that.

The size of the membership is what gives the NRA its clout. I never get mail or calls.

Just getting into guns, I'd select the American Rifleman magazine as your magazine. It's getting as washed out as other gun mags (and SWAT) but they do have some pretty good articles.

This Forum will probably teach you more than all the gun mags combined but just be sure to be one of the guys that "read before you talk".

308murder
01-26-11, 17:26
The main reason to join aside from being a gun owner, is the NRA PROTECTS GUN RIGHTS!! Like when the sneaky obama admin trys to pass laws that try to take away our right(s) to bear arms. That one reason alone is worth joining in my opinion.

goneballistic
01-27-11, 01:12
join for sure. if you want to be able to own a gun in the future, you need to support the hobby and the right

lots of chatter about NRA's effectiveness/hardcoreness etc but the fact is, when gun bills come up, senators don't worry about how the goa members will react, they worry about NRA members.

that being said I belong to both, my entire family is NRA life members including my four year old but you should join the NRA first and any other orgs next

sixgun-symphony
03-04-11, 00:59

The GOA does not represent anyone as they don't have a presence on Capitol Hill.

They do not have lobbyists on Capitol Hill. They do not affect legislation, they do nothing really but collect money while talking trash about the NRA. Yes, they have been caught making lies.

The GOA is a scam, I sometimes wonder if it might be a COINTELPRO operation for the anti-gun side.

sixgun-symphony
03-04-11, 01:03
BTW, You got to do more than just join the NRA. Your membership dues only pays for your registration costs, the magazine, and your "free" hat.

Give up a portion of the budget for things like espresso or beer and donate it to the NRA-ILA. Lobbying congressmen does require money.

Also, get on the NRA website and look into becoming an NRA certified firearms instructor. You will do alot for the cause by training people to become safe and responsible gunowners.