PDA

View Full Version : I'm Torn.

Dionysusigma
11-08-10, 16:40
Well, as I posted here, (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=807167&postcount=8485) I have only one AR. Granted, it's a fantastic AR, but I want... well, more, of course. Unfortunately, I'm by nature a very practical-minded person and often gravitate toward the "one do-all tool" versus having a large but well-stocked toy- er, I mean toolbox.

That said, I'm about halfway through a build for my next rifle. All I have so far is a Mega lower (not billet), UBR, BAD lever, MOE grip, and G&R LPK with no trigger (been debating what I want). The idea with this one is to go with the seemingly-popular 14.5" middy from BCM with a BattleComp 1.5 for a "go fast" gun.

However, this is where the "I'm torn" bit comes in. I've also been lusting heavily after an LMT carbine--Defender lower, 14.5" upper, and either a TA01 ACOG or Aimpoint M3; possibly, even just the LMT A2 rear sight. For me, LMT has always seemed like the absolute best for anything AR, especially since they seem to favor "tried and true" over "next best thing." Same for the choice of optics.

What I'm debating is whether I should hold off on my current build in favor of the LMT, or if I should just go ahead and finish what I've started. For what it's worth, I want something that can go through hell, and probably will once I figure out which carbine course to take it to.

So: Go-Fast-Golly-Gee-Cutting-Edge, or No-Frills-Bordering-On-Frumpy-But-100%-Proven? :confused:

500grains
11-08-10, 17:18
I don't know, but I am puzzled by the UBR, which is heavy, on a go fast gun.

Rmplstlskn
11-08-10, 17:20
This is EASY! BUY/BUILD BOTH!!!!

You already have over 3 by your other post, so just keep going... :laugh:

Rmpl

Dionysusigma
11-08-10, 17:24
Erm... the A4gery is the only one at the moment. :confused:

I went with the UBR for its rock-solid construction, its comfort, and the fact it looks so dang cool. :cool:

ALCOAR
11-08-10, 18:19
Well, as I posted here, (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=807167&postcount=8485) I have only one AR. Granted, it's a fantastic AR, but I want... well, more, of course. Unfortunately, I'm by nature a very practical-minded person and often gravitate toward the "one do-all tool" versus having a large but well-stocked toy- er, I mean toolbox.

That said, I'm about halfway through a build for my next rifle. All I have so far is a Mega lower (not billet), UBR, BAD lever, MOE grip, and G&R LPK with no trigger (been debating what I want). The idea with this one is to go with the seemingly-popular 14.5" middy from BCM with a BattleComp 1.5 for a "go fast" gun.

However, this is where the "I'm torn" bit comes in. I've also been lusting heavily after an LMT carbine--Defender lower, 14.5" upper, and either a TA01 ACOG or Aimpoint M3; possibly, even just the LMT A2 rear sight. For me, LMT has always seemed like the absolute best for anything AR, especially since they seem to favor "tried and true" over "next best thing." Same for the choice of optics.

What I'm debating is whether I should hold off on my current build in favor of the LMT, or if I should just go ahead and finish what I've started. For what it's worth, I want something that can go through hell, and probably will once I figure out which carbine course to take it to.

So: Go-Fast-Golly-Gee-Cutting-Edge, or No-Frills-Bordering-On-Frumpy-But-100%-Proven? :confused:

Just real quick, the UBR for some is actually the ideal stock for both precision and cqb applications...balance supersedes actual weight imho and thus the UBR is never a bad choice on any AR imho.

As for the highlighted text I marked in bold...LMT + "one do-all tool" + "tried and true" = Monolithic Rail Platforms (MRPs). Its a world beating weapon system for those who understand it and fully utilize the proprietary and unmatched advantages and features it incorporates. Check em out:)

Deputyrpa
11-08-10, 18:23
I put on a UBR to balance out my 16" WOA match barrel on my RECCE-type build (Bushmaster lower). I also built a LW (Colt upper, lower, BCG) with a CTR stock, and threw a M2 on top. The LW is the go-to and go-fast gun designee because it's purpose-built. However, the RECCE feels just as good - it's just that it will be getting a scope with some horsepower soon.

The point is that weight gets deceptive when balanced correctly. If you really like that stock (it is cool and has a clever pre-set) then focus on a balance that suits your personal preference. Go LMT, slap a M3 forward on that puppy instead of the TA01. Just MHO. I often get torn myself.

Did you say Frumpy? Like pulling up in your hot 1970 Mustang 351 Cleveland Convertible to a red light beside a middle-aged man in a Pontiac Catalina. Whitewalls, cheesey hubcaps, sparse chrome, dull paint, wife in curlers - but he has a wry grin on his face. You rev your worked Ford - the light turns geen - and you dump a chalupe as he absolutely blows your doors off. That kind of Frumpy?

Good luck and enjoy.....

Deputyrpa
11-08-10, 18:28
Just real quick, the UBR for some is actually the ideal stock for both precision and cqb applications...balance supersedes actual weight imho and thus the UBR is never a bad choice on any AR imho.

As for the highlighted text I marked in bold...LMT + "one do-all tool" + "tried and true" = Monolithic Rail Platforms (MRPs). Its a world beating weapon system for those who understand it and fully utilize the proprietary and unmatched advantages and features it incorporates. Check em out:)

Yeah....like TRIDENT82 said.....

When the log mashed my index finger last week I lost at least 4 words/minute typing. I'm down to 3wpm now.....

TehLlama
11-08-10, 23:12
I'd say that that lower (UBR, add a GSSA) could go far.
The 14.5"/BC1.5 combo with a long lite rail (also consider the Smartgunner DD packages for their version of the barrel)

If you're considering going with one tool, get a good trigger, and a solid optic (Aimpoint, or a Low Powered variable like the TR24T), pick a good weaponlight and you're set.

If looking for an excuse, run an LMT BCG in it (or DD, BCM, GTS, RA, Colt)

If I had to cut down to one rifle, it would be exactly that above- TR24R/LT104 on a 14.5" LW CHF Middy upper with Lite rail, then G&R/GSSA and AFG/XTM/BAD/PMag/MIAD/UBR

Dionysusigma
11-10-10, 00:40
I think I've come to a nice compromise. Keep the project going I have, but put an LMT upper on it. The combination seems like it'd be knocking out two bowling pins with one shot, with a parts list like so:

- Stripped Mega lower
- G&R LPK w/ heavy buffer and MagPul Enhanced trigger guard
- Geissele 3Gun trigger
- MagPul BAD lever
- MagPul MOE grip
- MagPul UBR
- LMT 14.5" upper, bolt, carrier
- BCM Mod.5 GFH
- TA01 ACOG/ M3

Basically, something very like this (probably not the VFG; never really been a fan of them):

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~edgarj/CA/OTHER/UBR1.jpg
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~edgarj/CA/OTHER/UBR1.jpg