PDA

View Full Version : build question

bubba04
11-08-10, 21:11
I am thinking about building a new upper. I have heard from a few folks that its better for a reliability/accuracy to purchase a complete upper. But from what I understand as long as you use quality parts you will end up with a quality rifle.

I am thinking DD or BCM 16" mid length CHF barrel, BCM complete BCG, Vtac 13" extreme battle rail, BCM or DD upper reciever, and troy sights, and a low profile gas block.

Whats yalls thoughts?

TehLlama
11-08-10, 22:51
I'd say you're exactly on the right track.

The difference on the upper is that in order to recoup the costs of the necessary tools to do it right, you'd need to build multiple uppers. With some of the package deals from various vendors, you can end up money ahead buying a completed upper that matches what you're after.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of that configuration: my newest rifle is a DD CHF Lightweight Middy with a 9.0 VTAC/TROY rail.

LONGBOWAH
11-12-10, 02:33
As discussed several times here, with prices as low as they are now, it is difficult to build an upper for less than you can purchase one complete even w/o including the cost of tools should you not already own them.

BrigandTwoFour
11-12-10, 07:53
I, to, went the route you are going by buying the parts individually and assembling them here (or, rather, taking them to my local trusted gunsmith, since I don't have all the required tools for the upper).

The only reason I did it was so I could have the exact parts I wanted (Centurion light weight CHF barrel, spikes upper, spikes BAR...I prefer to have matching parts, when possible).

If you can find the combination that you're looking for (and I'm pretty sure I've seen it on BCM), then I don't think there is any reason NOT to go with it.

DTHN2LGS
11-13-10, 16:01
It usually is a better deal to buy the complete upper assembled.

However, I will not be able to come up with the entire $1200 lump sum to get the complete assembled upper I want next. I want to have the tools anyway, so I am getting them next. I have other tools from working as a gunsmith before, so I only need some specific AR tools now. Then, I will be able to get the upper parts as money allows until it is finished (I just have the lower w/o buttstock now) and assembled by me.

Of course, if you can just put it all on a credit card, you don't have to worry about saving up a big lump sum.

stifled
11-13-10, 16:25
Of course, if you can just put it all on a credit card, you don't have to worry about saving up a big lump sum.

Or you could just save up the money and not make a bunch of interest payments... :)

bubba04
11-13-10, 17:54
I have all the tools already, and have access to picking up a DD CHF mid length 16" barrel for 260. Based on these numbers I could save a few bucks piecing it together myself.

However I am debating on if I want to get a centurion barrel instead.

DTHN2LGS
11-14-10, 17:59
Or you could just save up the money and not make a bunch of interest payments... :)

Too many things keep coming up to get that much accumulated before I need it for whatever emergency pops up.

bubba04
11-15-10, 21:46
What kind of accuracy can one expect from a BCM stainless barrel? I am thinking about an 18" rifle length barrel.

What kind of accuracy are those running this getting?

thanks!