PDA

View Full Version : Central Illinois area gunsmiths?

DaBears_85
11-09-10, 01:42
Does anyone have a reputable AR/AK gunsmith that they'd recommend, preferably located in the central Illinois area?

Thanks.

7 RING
12-12-10, 18:03
Does anyone have a reputable AR/AK gunsmith that they'd recommend, preferably located in the central Illinois area?

Thanks.

What part of central Illinois ? What do you need done ?

nickdrak
12-12-10, 20:58
One of, if not the best AK smith (Krebs Customs) anywhere, is up north in Wauconda, IL.

PK Firearms is in Shelbyville. I'm not sure if they do general AR smithing, but they do build custom uppers. It might be worth it to give them a call.

Bolt_Overide
12-14-10, 04:20
www.millercustom.com

He does mostly 1911 stuff, but he will do AR stuff if you ask.

AlphaKoncepts
12-21-10, 13:46
What do you need done to your AR?

DaBears_85
12-22-10, 11:19
What part of central Illinois? What do you need done?

What do you need done to your AR?

I live in Springfield so I'm looking for someone in the surrounding area. I don't necessarily need a smith for anything in particular (as of now), it's more of a general inquiry for future reference. Although I do need to get a receiver extension properly torqued and a castle nut staked. I can stake the nut myself but don't own the correct torque wrench, or any torque wrench for that matter, for the receiver extension. Other than that, and more serious AR work like rebarreling an upper, I can address most issues that would arise with the AR platform.

The same goes for AK's, I was hoping there would be someone located in my area should I ever need any work done but I don't have a problem with shipping it off to Krebs per nickdrack's suggestion. To be honest, I didn't know he was located in Illinois. Learn something new everyday... :)

danish
12-22-10, 14:07
http://www.canyoncreekcustom.com/

Rich does mainly XDs, 1911s, and just getting into ARs. He did a trigger job on my XD 5 years ago and was very pleased with it as are most of his customers...