PDA

View Full Version : My td-415

jeepnut83
11-09-10, 06:27
Well I bought one of these 416 clone uppers in the 14.5; and I have to say it's pretty neat-o! the fit and finish is very nice I have yet to take it to the range but I look forward to it. After I get the flash hider permanently attached to bring it up to legal. and I will be sure to post updates about its performance. i'll try to upload some pictures later.

justin_247
11-09-10, 11:03
Well, being that we're talking about an HK416 clone here, perhaps somebody can please provide me some education?

I was looking at the internals of the 416 and I was wondering why they increased the rail and receiver height? The strike plate on the carrier is not that much taller than the gas key on the DI carrier that it replaced. It seems to me that, since H&K didn't replace the AR-style carrier with a shorter and taller G36-style carrier and get rid of the receiver extension, that extra height would be unnecessary.

Additionally, why didn't they just develop a whole new upper assembly that eliminates the long AR-style carrier with a shorter one so they can get rid of the receiver extension?

Thanks!

jeepnut83
11-09-10, 14:55
Well, being that we're talking about an HK416 clone here, perhaps somebody can please provide me some education?

I was looking at the internals of the 416 and I was wondering why they increased the rail and receiver height? The strike plate on the carrier is not that much taller than the gas key on the DI carrier that it replaced. It seems to me that, since H&K didn't replace the AR-style carrier with a shorter and taller G36-style carrier and get rid of the receiver extension, that extra height would be unnecessary.

Additionally, why didn't they just develop a whole new upper assembly that eliminates the long AR-style carrier with a shorter one so they can get rid of the receiver extension?

Thanks!
I believe and want to say the gas block on the 416 is taller than say a lwrc piston,but shares the same height as a g36; So they needed to make the upper taller to accommodate the system i.e gas block, piston, piston rod. and I know they wanted to make improvements to the systems reliability, so I'm guessing they didn't want to redesign the whole system just like when HK "fixed" the SA80 they just improved on the system. So it's like lets change this, but not that. this stays that goes. I know on the td-415 it will work with most hk416 parts, I will get my caliper out and measure my DI upper and the Td-415 and throw the numbers out there.