PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the slide serrations on a S&W M&P

Razorhunter
11-09-10, 06:29
Does anyone else here agree that those wavy/curved looking "S" shaped serrations on the M&P pistols look like total crap and need to be changed?
Has anyone actually milled their slide to have straight serrations?
I have always wanted to know if it can be done without any issues resulting?
It's been a while since I've really looked over an M&P, and I will be looking at another one soon, but IIRC, the only area of concern is on the LEFT side of the gun, about 1" back from the front end of the slide. I don't recall the name of the radiused "notch" that is located there, but IIRC, the purpose of this radiused notch is for taking apart the pistol, right?
If I am right about this, then it's possibly just the "take down" notch I would assume? It's been a while since I've broken down an M&P, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm referring to by now.

SO, question: If I were to machine the ugly "S" shaped slide serrations into straight serrations on an M&P handgun, would there be any problems resulting from this mod, specifically up at that radiused "takedown notch" on the left side of the slide????
Thanks for any help guys, and IF by chance anyone has performed this mod to their M&P slide, I would really appreciate some pics of the new straight serrations.
Thanks for any help with this issue.

groovyash
11-09-10, 11:15
Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm sure someone will know exactly how much "meat" exists and if it's enough to machine out. People have machined front serrations off if 1911s for some time leaving a BHP look but no functional serrations on the front. In your case I believe you want to machine off the serrations then add new serrations meaning you would need double the depth to accomplish this. I'm not sure how that would look or what effect it would have on the strength of the slide. I will say though that I, like you initially didn't like the fish scale serrations on the M&P series. This opinion of them was revised however after using them for a while. I am not trying to hype anything with this, but it is my opinion that they are far and away the most effective serrations I've ever used. It's not even a close comparison, if it were I'd still be hung up on how ugly they are. Just hands down functional, and in the end that wins out for me. I'd suggest trying them if you hadn't yet, wet, dry, dirty, muddy, gloved or bare handed they work great.

Joeywhat
11-09-10, 11:21
They may be ugly, but they work...between all the various handguns I've used extensively I like the M&P the best. Loved them so much I had them added to the top of the slide as well...

I even added them to my Glock slide :D

Seriously, if you are able to put new serrations on there, make sure whatever you put is actually usable. No sense in downgrading functionality so it looks better. From what I've found straight serrations still work, but need to be designed differently then what most are using (namely Glock). Straight cuts with 90* corners don't cut it IMO.

TheLefty
11-09-10, 13:00
I even added them to my Glock slide :D

Seriously, if you are able to put new serrations on there, make sure whatever you put is actually usable. No sense in downgrading functionality so it looks better. From what I've found straight serrations still work, but need to be designed differently then what most are using (namely Glock). Straight cuts with 90* corners don't cut it IMO.

Pics of the Glock, please? :D

I agree, though. Whether or not you find them appealing to the eye, I find the M&P serrations much more functional in that they provide a better gripping surface than the straight serrations on my Glocks.

bkb0000
11-09-10, 13:12
its a poly framed striker fired pistol.... it looks like crap to begin with.

we don't buy these things for their appearance. get a 1911.

Joeywhat
11-09-10, 13:39
Pics of the Glock, please? :D

I agree, though. Whether or not you find them appealing to the eye, I find the M&P serrations much more functional in that they provide a better gripping surface than the straight serrations on my Glocks.

I don't have access to my pics right now but there should be some in the Glock pic thread. Posted a couple months ago, maybe 4-5 even...I'm sure if you search under my name you'll find them.

Razorhunter
11-11-10, 15:04
Ok guys. Let me explain something here.
It's NOT feasible to mill off serrations on a handgun slide, and then go back and add additional serrations.
That is not the proper way to accomplish such a task.

I realize not everyone here has experience with a Bridgeport vertical mill or other milling machine equiptment, so let me explain as it's really very simple.
I'm simply proposing to mill the existing serrations into straight serrations.
Further, I was not asking if it was possible to machine the serrations STRAIGHT. I already know that is possible to do so.
What I do NOT know for sure, is that IF I mill the existing serrations straight, would the milling have any negative impact on the little radiused "takedown notch" out at the end of the slide.

All we are talking about doing here is running an end mill/milling cutter on the slide, which would mill radiused "humps" out of the existing serrations. This would then result in straight serrations.
The above machining process is the EXACT same procedure that any gun manufacturer would use to create straight serrations on a factory new/unmolested slide when building a new gun.
Again, I'm not asking if the serrations can be milled straight. They CAN.
I'm asking if anyone has any idea on how it would affect the radiused "takedown notch" located out at the end of the slide.
Take a look at an M&P and you'll see what I'm referring to.
Thanks guys.