PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Art of Precision Rifle??

HeliPilot
11-09-10, 09:20
Is there any word or rumor of Magpul creating an Art of the Precision Rifle dvd set? I have all of the other training dvd's that are currently out, my shotgun dvd set comes in today. Seems like the only platform that is missing would be the precision rifle. I've learned so much from the one's I've seen it sure would be nice to get some knowledge on the do's and don'ts of the bolt gun as it certainly is an art. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-09-10, 11:19
I already have it! I took the Precision Rifle class and since my memory sucks, I took video of most of the instruction, not much of the shooting. Two problems, the quality sucks, and there is no way I'm releasing it- it isn't anywhere near AOTXXX series quality and Chris and Travis are trying to limit the 3rd party Magpul videos out there. Their brand, their class, their sandbox.

I have started an AAR that is a soft transcript of the instruction. Maybe I'll get to finish it over the holidays.

It was a great class. Only two days, which worked out great since we only shot out to 400yards. A third day would have been nice if we could shoot out further and talk about more detailed ballistics and environmental effects.

streck
01-27-11, 10:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18dOzeDtpr4

Abraxas
01-27-11, 10:27
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72226

cankicker01
05-18-11, 14:44
Does anybody have news, about when we might expect to see the actual release of the precision rifle videos? This is the one set I would love to have. Has the project been canned? Or complications? Does anybody know anything???

Steve
06-03-11, 18:44
Yes,:D Soon as its ready.........

Fried Chicken Blowout
06-05-11, 22:01
So when's it going to be ready? I'm starving for information here!!! Need video to maintain my health!

Titleist
06-05-11, 22:24
Yes,:D Soon as its ready.........

It's done when it's done.

Fried Chicken Blowout
06-05-11, 22:47
Is this some kind of witchcraft circular argument? I just want it to be ready... Does that mean I have to wait till it's done or will it be ready sooner then it's done... I'm so confused:blink:

Titleist
06-05-11, 23:32
Is this some kind of witchcraft circular argument? I just want it to be ready... Does that mean I have to wait till it's done or will it be ready sooner then it's done... I'm so confused:blink:

You'll be able to watch it when you're watching it.

Rattlehead
06-05-11, 23:40
You'll be able to watch it when you're watching it.

:lol:

Titleist
08-08-11, 12:52
Word is MAYBE October...

Evolution247
08-08-11, 13:32
Anyone have any word on this DVD coming out?

Evolution247
08-08-11, 14:00
Okay cool. Thanks for the heads up.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-09-11, 00:22
Did MAGPUL unionize at some point and I didn't hear about it?

Here's hoping that it is in Blue Ray. The others are fine at regular DVD upscaled, but it might be nice for the thru the scope shots and long shots if they had more detail.

Sounds like it is going to be a 10 disk set!

Dozer
08-09-11, 09:46
Did MAGPUL unionize at some point and I didn't hear about it? No. Why?

Sounds like it is going to be a 10 disk set!

Additional footage was shot to include Caylen Wojcik and is now going thru editing. It will be out soon.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-12-11, 00:28
Just a joke, projects take longer it seems when union labor rules get in the way.

Glad to hear the update, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Dozer
08-12-11, 12:47
Just a joke, projects take longer it seems when union labor rules get in the way.

Glad to hear the update, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Gotcha.:)

Videos are unique in the sense that you can't just throw manpower at it. While I may be able to increase production on a hard product, video take a different kind of labor that cannot be approached in the same manner.

I'm confident people will like the final product. ;)

cankicker01
08-12-11, 16:21
Question: Is watching "art of the precision rifle" going to inspire me to buy an OBR? Cause I fought off the urge from watching the trailer. I have a feeling that if I watch the full length video........

saddlerocker
08-25-11, 11:40
Heres the new full trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKP5hg-B1N8

streck
09-28-11, 12:30
SuhwEET!

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-28-11, 12:32
SuhwEET!

What??? Did it come out???

Evolution247
09-28-11, 18:03
I don't think so. Website says Fall/Winter 2011.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-28-11, 18:54
What a painful wait... I have to go out each week and reinvent the wheel all by myself without any video instruction... I learn a lot, but something like this would really give me a jump start!

Evolution247
10-20-11, 17:40
It's interesting because it's not typical to have a sneak peak and then full blown trailer and then no product. Bad marketing to have a product release delayed for such a long time (1 year).

I'm eager to watch it but at this point it's out of sight, out of mind. Perhaps my fund should go towards Haley's DVD. LOL!

tsmith247
10-25-11, 12:33
Been anxiously awaiting as well. Just checked and it still says Fall 2011 for release.

Evolution247
11-08-11, 18:43
Been anxiously awaiting as well. Just checked and it still says Fall 2011 for release.

Now it says Winder 2011. This is comical.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-11, 23:50
There was a post on ARF from Magpul that the video should be released in time to order for Christmas.

First Travis, then Chris leaves and this video is almost a year late. It seems MD is losing its mojo.

Dozer
11-09-11, 09:15
There was a post on ARF from Magpul that the video should be released in time to order for Christmas.

First Travis, then Chris leaves and this video is almost a year late. It seems MD is losing its mojo.

You say this after having posted this:

I'm amazed at Magpul's ability to make great gear at prices that everyone can afford. Great and cheap make a hard business model, but you guys have been doing it.

Travis and Chris were trainers before Magpul and didn't gain rockstar status till MD, so Magpul had something to do with their success. MD was a great platform for them and hopefully MD can continue to find new training talent to fill the role. Finding people as skilled as Chris and Travis in firearms, teaching and personality will be a tall task. Maybe that is why they hired Steve. ;)

Keep the classes coming, release videos that you have and don't let MD get stale.

I'm curious, what changed in that span of time to change your take on this?

Evolution247
11-09-11, 10:56
I just think it was poor planning in the marketing department. But having said that, perhaps the recent resignation of Costa (yes it's public information now) that the DVD's haven't been top of mind. I hear they have two other DVD's that are just about finished (vehicle tactics being one of them).

Titleist
11-09-11, 11:05
I just think it was poor planning in the marketing department. But having said that, perhaps the recent resignation of Costa (yes it's public information now) that the DVD's haven't been top of mind. I hear they have two other DVD's that are just about finished (vehicle tactics being one of them).

I believe Vehicle Tactics went the way of the SWAT DVD, but I have seen the trailer for the next one in the series. And trust me, it's very cool.

And not in the "Art of the Dynamic Knot Tying" way that Aerial Platform was supposed to be.

Evolution247
11-09-11, 11:22
I believe Vehicle Tactics went the way of the SWAT DVD, but I have seen the trailer for the next one in the series. And trust me, it's very cool.

And not in the "Art of the Dynamic Knot Tying" way that Aerial Platform was supposed to be.

LOL! Damn, I was so looking forward to the "Art of the Dynamic Knot Tying." LOL!

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-09-11, 21:05
You say this after having posted this:

I'm curious, what changed in that span of time to change your take on this?

Dozer-

The second post (the first one I posted in another thread in the General Discussion) was really in response to people calling MD dead. I think it is important to point out that MD was more than a sum of its parts.

As to the first (posted second in a thread about the video) comment about losing its mojo, half the people in the unreleased video no longer work for MD and there has been a slow march on release dates. I'd say that is a threat to mojo. Is Magpul dying? Not by any means and I don't think there is any reason to harp on it, but you guys could use a mojo shot.

I know it has to be a pain in the ass to you Magpul guys that have worked with the company for a lot of years and made it what it is with out the same outside recognition that Travis and Chris got. I'd think that from your point of view Chris and Travis were just a piece of Magpul, but to alot of us they were the face of it. It ain't right, it ain't rational but that is the way it is. My perceptions are probably also shaded because we didn't have any Magpul classes here on the Front Range this year- which just seems odd- but I understand why.

Dozer
11-10-11, 16:59
Dozer-

The second post (the first one I posted in another thread in the General Discussion) was really in response to people calling MD dead. I think it is important to point out that MD was more than a sum of its parts.

As to the first (posted second in a thread about the video) comment about losing its mojo, half the people in the unreleased video no longer work for MD and there has been a slow march on release dates. I'd say that is a threat to mojo. Is Magpul dying? Not by any means and I don't think there is any reason to harp on it, but you guys could use a mojo shot.

I know it has to be a pain in the ass to you Magpul guys that have worked with the company for a lot of years and made it what it is with out the same outside recognition that Travis and Chris got. I'd think that from your point of view Chris and Travis were just a piece of Magpul, but to alot of us they were the face of it. It ain't right, it ain't rational but that is the way it is. My perceptions are probably also shaded because we didn't have any Magpul classes here on the Front Range this year- which just seems odd- but I understand why.

No mojo shot needed. There is quite a bit that happens behind the scenes, which ultimately affects the release dates.

Instructors grow and people change. Travis and Chris leaving only means that they are looking to expand their horizon.

As far as the slow march on release dates, this is manufacturing. We do not release anything unless it meets our quality standard. Regardless of what some may think, our stardards will not change. And besides, just wait a few months for some of our upcoming items. ;)

Let me be clear, the guys and gals that manufacture the product are more than happy to be where we are. We do NOT seek out the recognition because just knowing that what we make helps so many out there is enough satisfaction.

By the way, if you want to host a MD class I can put you in touch with out training department.

Cheers,

Pork Chop
12-01-11, 09:05
Any updates on the precision rifle video release date?

It would make a great Christmas gift.........right after I watch it and regift it.:p

Evolution247
12-01-11, 10:28
Any updates on the precision rifle video release date?

It would make a great Christmas gift.........right after I watch it and regift it.:p

:suicide2: That thing is an urban myth man. I hope I'm wrong but I bet it'll come out sometime next year. I am intrigued about the other DVD projects that they have going on though.

Pork Chop
12-01-11, 10:42
:suicide2: That thing is an urban myth man. I hope I'm wrong but I bet it'll come out sometime next year. I am intrigued about the other DVD projects that they have going on though.

Thanks for bringing me down.:(

Why don't we just go kick some puppies and say to hell with it?:p

Evolution247
12-01-11, 10:45
Thanks for bringing me down.:(

Why don't we just go kick some puppies and say to hell with it?:p

:jester: Oops! My bad. What I meant to say was rest assured that Santa Magpul will make it happen. You'll definitely have it in your stocking this year. ;)

Pork Chop
12-01-11, 10:48
:jester: Oops! My bad. What I meant to say was rest assured that Santa Magpul will make it happen. You'll definitely have it in your stocking this year. ;)

That's more like it.:sarcastic:

ForTehNguyen
12-02-11, 20:17
http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN008

DISC ONE (142 min)

Course Part 1
Intro
Rifle Setup
Zeroing
Reticles
Truing
Special Features
Ballistics
Cold Bore vs. Clean Bore
Trace

DISC TWO (133 min)

Course Part 2
Broken Scope Field Zero
Accuracy 1st Wind Formula
Wind Course (Part 1, 2, Wrap Up)
The One Mile Shot
Wrap Up
Special Features
Mindset

DISC THREE (126 min)

USMC Fundamentals
The Sniper
The USMC Sniper
The Law Enforcement Sniper
Tools of the Military Sniper
Military Semi-Auto Weapons
Data Books
Exercises
Dialing and Scope Calibration
The Milling Exercise
Natural Point-of-Aim
Quick Reference Drills
Rapid Bolt Manipulation
Tac Reload
Speed Reload
Reaction Side Bolt Manipulation

DISC FOUR (97 min)

Gear
Bolt Action
Semi-Automatic
Ancillary Gear
Rifle Optics
Muzzle Accessories
Support Equipment

DISC FIVE (93 min)

Bonus Features
Additional Course Material
Unconventional Positions
Long Range Trajectory
The TReMoR Reticle
Cleaning
Raising the Bar
Bonus Material
Bloopers
The Whiz Wheel
Reading Wind
Formula Review
More from Magpul (Trailers)

Dmaynor
12-02-11, 21:07
I just ordered one!

Pork Chop
12-03-11, 14:50
That's crazy, I just looked Friday and it was still unavailable. I guess you can all thank me for reviving this thread and inspiring Magpul to release the video the next day!!:sarcastic:

That's awesome, mine's ordered too. Thanks for the heads up!! I wouldn't have checked back for awhile.

RSix
12-09-11, 14:56
Yeah, gotta order mine. I just wonder how long I can hold off on an OBR...

saddlerocker
12-14-11, 19:07
DSG Arms sent an email saying its instock and shipping

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAGDYN008.aspx

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-14-11, 20:19
I ordered from Magpul on the 2nd and I just got a shipment notice.

Fried Chicken Blowout
12-14-11, 20:24
Oh... Exciting... I ordered on the6th, I must be right behind you...

I ordered from Magpul on the 2nd and I just got a shipment notice.

Dmaynor
12-14-11, 20:57
I got my notice as well, says it will be delivered on Saturday.

jwfuhrman
12-14-11, 21:35
got my shipment notice today, should be here Saturday according Fed Ex

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-15-11, 16:12
It's at my house!!!!

To bad I'm not.

Daddy's not going to get much done this weekend.

My 6 year old son has been playing with Nerf guns and I've tried to instill in him the basics of gun safety even with these- concentrating on finger/trigger and muzzle control. He didn't believe me about it so I just popped in a MD disk and let him watch the safety part, and he got to see some fun parts too ;)

He wants Travis and Chris to come over for a play date.