PDA

View Full Version : M-16 performance with the ANA

Crow Hunter
11-09-10, 09:54
Not sure if this is in the right forum, so please move it if not.

I heard a radio report this morning on NPR about the 101st and the "new" tactics they are using in Afghanistan.

That got me to wondering about how the transition to the M16 went for the ANA. I remember all the doom and gloom about the impending disaster of converting the ANA from their traditional AK-47 rifles to the M16. I assume that it did go ahead and go through but I haven't heard any news about it good or bad, generally though no news means it is going well or it didn't happen at all.

So, does anyone know?

120mm
11-09-10, 10:35
I see (and hear) our ANA shooting their M16A2s like mad around here. They appear to run quite well, and are treated roughly, just like anything else the ANA touch.

It didn't help that the available AK's were complete crap; I imagine the ANA were glad to get the M16A2s, but I need to talk to some of our guys to get a better impression of that.

I DO know that Karzai's PSD runs M4s, and they are proud as shit of them.

Frens
11-09-10, 11:03
I've read somewhere that they're happy with the M16 and it's accuracy

this thread deserves a pic
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2065/anam16.jpg

Crow Hunter
11-09-10, 11:10
AWESOME!

Thanks for the first hand info!

I haven't read anything about this in the gun media, probably because it isn't bad news.

I would be interested in learning more about it. It actually has news article written all over it for someone so inclined.

Hint, hint.....:D

LennieT
11-09-10, 11:25
I've read somewhere that they're happy with the M16 and it's accuracy

this thread deserves a pic
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2065/anam16.jpg

Hey, what is that sling-thing, I never saw one of those before. What is that called.

Thanks

Lennie

bkb0000
11-09-10, 11:34
Hey, what is that sling-thing, I never saw one of those before. What is that called.

Thanks

Lennie

it's just a snap-link.. and im sure the only reason he's using it is because he hasn't been issues a proper patrol sling.

Iraqgunz
11-09-10, 15:08
Having been directly involved with training their personnel in regards to their U.S supplied weapons, the major issue(s) are this.

1. Afghan's as well as Arabs in the region are not big on marksmanship. I have seen these guys shoot man sized targets at 25yds that looked like shotgun blasts.

2. Parts availability. The supply chain which is run by Aghans with U.S guidance sucks. When I unpacked and started to breakdown the parts it was evident that whomever sent us the parts did so without any knowledge of the system. They sent me at least 100 buffers and spring for our M4's, but only 5 replacement stocks (used within 10 days) and almost no gas rings or extractor assemblies.

3. Proper cleaning kits and an area for weapons maintenance. This may be limited to the area I was in only, but I have heard similar stories from others.

kal
11-09-10, 15:16
I wonder what the ANA thinks about ergonomics, tac reloads, etc.:D

5pins
11-09-10, 15:17
Looks like a Thrmold magazine. Can he even get the stock to his shoulder with that thing on?

variablebinary
11-09-10, 15:23
Now if only they would stop selling their freaking ammo whenever our backs are turned...

Freaking ANA...

Col_Crocs
11-09-10, 18:16
Now if only they would stop selling their freaking ammo whenever our backs are turned...

Freaking ANA...

To whom?? Im actually more surprised they have a market for 5.56 ammo. :D

GermanSynergy
11-09-10, 18:55
Are those M-16's or Canadian C-7's?

RustedAce
11-09-10, 19:28
Having been directly involved with training their personnel in regards to their U.S supplied weapons, the major issue(s) are this.

1. Afghan's as well as Arabs in the region are not big on marksmanship. I have seen these guys shoot man sized targets at 25yds that looked like shotgun blasts.
=

Depends on the tribe/region. Some Afghan tribes really prize shooting skills and are actually really good shots, and of course the city boys/ tribes that dont care about it cant hit shit.

Bolt_Overide
11-09-10, 22:16
They seem to love it where Im at. Lord knows they put enough rounds through them.

rocketman
11-10-10, 06:30
The good news is he has his dust cover closed......

500grains
11-10-10, 06:44
Who taught him where to put his trigger finger? That is my pet peeve.

BushmasterFanBoy
11-10-10, 10:01

For small handed shooters, its not uncommon to put the finger below the trigger guard on the grip. At least it isn't on the bang switch.

Iraqgunz
11-10-10, 12:27
To the best of my knowledge they are M16's. The U.S is/ was supplying them from depots. In addition the Kandaks get M4 carbines made by Colt.

Are those M-16's or Canadian C-7's?

Iraqgunz
11-10-10, 12:28
If you have never been in that part of the world, it is very typical of them. Even ones that have been trained.

500grains
11-10-10, 12:52
I have been making my older son keep his index finger pointed forward above the trigger guard since he started shooting at age 4.5.

I suppose I don't need to mention the advantages of speed and lack of need for hand shifting to get the proper grip.

variablebinary
11-10-10, 12:57
For small handed shooters, its not uncommon to put the finger below the trigger guard on the grip. At least it isn't on the bang switch.

I know a lot of shrimp female soldiers that roll their finger under the trigger guard.

I don't notice many men doing this

TehLlama
11-10-10, 13:45
To whom?? Im actually more surprised they have a market for 5.56 ammo. :D

The Taliban doesn't have much of a use for loaded 5.56 ammo, so they helpfully bag up the brass and we usually found them with cache's since it took them longer to sell it as scrap.
The powder was probably rolled into their HME mixture, and I wouldn't be surprised if they used the bullets as shrapnel, or sold as scrap metal too.

The general ANA weapons handling is rubbish (sorry, but over the shoulder and held by the last 6" of the barrel isn't really ideal), hopefully we simplified their maintenance procedure to 'add motor oil, let an American clean it once a year'.
ANA I was with (length of Garmsir) seemed to like it, and down south some of them could actually hit a person sized target at 200m with them (and did), though that was a company under the direct supervision of a Marine Gunner.