PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my AR from CO to NH?

BenBru
11-09-10, 10:39
I feel like this would be the right place to ask this question...

So, I feel like I've earned some well deserved time off. I'm going to fly to see my brother and parents in NH. While I'm there I thought I'd go pop a few caps in some paper (they live on a set of land where I can do so legally and safely). SO, does anyone have a good guide to flying with an AR-15? I've flown with my Glock and my Kimber on multiple occasions but I haven't flown with a rifle before.

I know it has to be unloaded in a locked hard case.... ammo separate... anything else I'm missing?

Eurodriver
11-09-10, 11:03
No, its actually alot easier than most people realize.

You need:
A lockable hard case.
Big, beefy locks (dont get cheesy TSA locks. You want locks that are gonna cost at least $10 each)

Ive flown out of Honolulu and Tampa airports and it varies between the two.

You get to the counter, say you have weapons to declare. They will give you a red tag that you just sign saying you certify the weapons are unloaded. Then you put the red tag INSIDE the case and close it.

From there one of two things will happen.

A.) You will physically take the unlocked case to a TSA rep who will ask you to open it and search for explosives. Once he's done you'll put your locks on it and they'll put it with the other baggage.
or
B.) You will physically take the unlocked case to the electronic screening machine, the TSA rep will send it through the machine and give you the thumbs up that its safe. Then you will put your locks on it and the TSA rep will put it with the other baggage.

Remember, they are not allowed to unlock your case nor are they allowed to touch your firearms (except slightly if they physically inspect). Do not give them your keys, do not give them your locks. Don't let them put anything on the outside of the case that says there is a firearm inside. The only exception is after they inspect it, they MAY put a little red dot sticker or something of that sort. THat is only to show its already been inspected not that there is a firearm inside. Any violations of these are not airline violations they are federal law violations and you need to immediately ask for a supervisor.

Remember.
1. They don't handle the case until it's been screened and you've locked it. Period.
2. They don't lock the case. Period.
3. You don't give them the keys.
4. They aren't allowed to put anything on the outside indentifying it as a firearm.

Hopefully you'll get an experienced airline employee who isn't a moron and your experience will be pretty smooth. If not, just ask for a supervisor.

kartoffel
11-09-10, 11:12
Ammo does not have to be separate. The TSA inspector may require that your mags be empty, though it's pretty rare as far as I can tell. I fly with a pistol and use a Hardigg case with has cutouts in the foam for a couple commercial ammo boxes. Looks nice and presentable, and is easy for the inspector to see what everything is.

One other tip... though this doesn't really apply for long guns: check your gun case together with a larger plain piece of luggage. I like to stash my pistol case in side a nondescript Wal Mart suitcase and check them together. A fancy hard case by itself just screams "expensive stuff inside, steal me!" Having the gun case inside a normal suitcase also means you can (laws permitting) roll straight from baggage claim to the nearest restroom and strap it back on, without freaking anyone out.

BenBru
11-09-10, 11:17
Yeah my pistol cases always go in the suit cases and I even have a little system to secure the pistol case to the actual suit case. Call it paranoia but I've heard stories. Main reason I asked about the rifle was my same paranoia. Sounds the same as flying with a pistol, just can't conceal the fact that there's gun case... unless I find a really big bag.

skyugo
11-09-10, 11:27
Yeah my pistol cases always go in the suit cases and I even have a little system to secure the pistol case to the actual suit case. Call it paranoia but I've heard stories. Main reason I asked about the rifle was my same paranoia. Sounds the same as flying with a pistol, just can't conceal the fact that there's gun case... unless I find a really big bag.

maybe a hockey bag or something..

with an AR15 if you break it down to put it in a pelican case or something it could be pretty small.

I've flown with my glock 26 once, really wasn't a problem. Granted it was from CO to NC, fairly gun-friendly states. the ticket lady in NC on my way back asked me if i was flying armed :D I do no look like a cop. I told her i was game if they were.. she was like "i have no idea why i just asked that" :D

1_click_off
11-09-10, 16:48
Best way is to find a local FFL and a destination FFL and ship your rifle.

But here are the rules if you are going to trust a baggage handler that is the 4 person so far this year to hold his/her position because the turnover rate (from what I hear) is quite high for those guys.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

BenBru
11-09-10, 17:43
Thanks for the link.

1_click_off
11-09-10, 18:28
I would print it and take it with you. I had an ID issued by TWIC/TSA and the TSA agent would not accept it as an authentic ID. Also if they label your firearm like they use to, it is illegal due to the brady act. They can no longer put that bright red sticker "UNLOADED FIREARM" on your luggage.

Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, US Code Title 18, section 922(e) was amended as such:

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

The above Brady info was taken from a post I had on Barrettrifles.com about the same subject , want to give credit where credit is due.

JSantoro
11-09-10, 19:28
Yeah, DEFINITELY take printouts of both the TSA and specific airline policies regarding firearms and have them on you. You can never tell what yokel you may have to deal with that doesn't know either the law or the policy of their own organization. While not common, it's not horribly unusual, though I have far, far more instances of having to remind the airline folks of their own practices than I ever have TSA.

My most recent one was a quiet but intense argument with the lady behind the United counter at the Vegas airport while departing from SHOT, over what sort of locks were supposed to be on my case. This, even though the policy was printed right on the front of the counter. Between that, me being in compliance with law ans policy and me having proof in hand with the appropriate passage highlighted under a self-typed, bolded, underlined header that read TO BE USED IN CASE OF BEING HASSLED BY SOME STUBBORN DOUCHENOZZLE...she had a bad day. I don't go looking for excuses to yank that out, but I think it's pretty inexcusable to be ignorant about such things, so I think it's a good alternative to shouted name-calling in regard to my feelings on the matter.

I also took a page from a friend of mine, a geologist for an oil company. He takes core samples from rock and ships them hither and yon, and his cases are marked as such. He uses them for transporting his guns, and are marked with "rock samples" on the exterior. He's never had it messed with. Neither has mine since I painted the same on it. Who wants to steal rocks?

ctaft77
11-10-10, 11:01
Unfortunately each airline company determines their own rule for what is allowed and what is not regardless of TSA guidelines.

In general, airlines ask passengers to use a hard case and secure it with padlocks that only the passenger has keys to it.

You should find the exact case you would like to use to transport your AR and contact the airline you will buy your ticket from and give them all the specific information about your gun and case, so they can assist you with accurate information.

Here is my pick for a AR 15 rifle case (http://www.skbdirect.com/3i5014/tactical-rifle-case.html)

I own a the double rifle case (http://www.skbdirect.com/3i5014/)

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-10-10, 16:05
No, its actually alot easier than most people realize.

You need:
A lockable hard case.
Big, beefy locks (dont get cheesy TSA locks. You want locks that are gonna cost at least $10 each)

Ive flown out of Honolulu and Tampa airports and it varies between the two.

You get to the counter, say you have weapons to declare. They will give you a red tag that you just sign saying you certify the weapons are unloaded. Then you put the red tag INSIDE the case and close it.

From there one of two things will happen.

A.) You will physically take the unlocked case to a TSA rep who will ask you to open it and search for explosives. Once he's done you'll put your locks on it and they'll put it with the other baggage.
or
B.) You will physically take the unlocked case to the electronic screening machine, the TSA rep will send it through the machine and give you the thumbs up that its safe. Then you will put your locks on it and the TSA rep will put it with the other baggage.

Remember, they are not allowed to unlock your case nor are they allowed to touch your firearms (except slightly if they physically inspect). Do not give them your keys, do not give them your locks. Don't let them put anything on the outside of the case that says there is a firearm inside. The only exception is after they inspect it, they MAY put a little red dot sticker or something of that sort. THat is only to show its already been inspected not that there is a firearm inside. Any violations of these are not airline violations they are federal law violations and you need to immediately ask for a supervisor.

Remember.
1. They don't handle the case until it's been screened and you've locked it. Period.
2. They don't lock the case. Period.
3. You don't give them the keys.
4. They aren't allowed to put anything on the outside indentifying it as a firearm.

Hopefully you'll get an experienced airline employee who isn't a moron and your experience will be pretty smooth. If not, just ask for a supervisor.

The following is based on my experience and my airline.

I have not flown with a rifle, only by car, but I have flown with my HGs. One thing I do when I travel by with my long guns is put them in their cases and then put those cases in a airline golf bag :cool: Nothing screams rifle like a small, thin hard case. Putting it in the golf bag makes it so that when you are travelling thru the air port and hotels and cabs you don't attract attention.

The case in bag also allows you to put the signed red tag on the outside of your locked case, but in your bag. I don't let them put the tag in the locked case. What the frick good does it do in there? If they want to see it they have to either get your key, get you or break the locks. I also lock my case back up at the counter. If they scan it and want to look at it, make them bring it to you. I have never been able to touch my case again once it has been scanned, so you might as well keep it locked. Some airports are set up that you really can't get to it again after it has been scanned. I don't know if it is true, but keeping the ammo out of the locked case seems to make it so that they don't want to look in the case- just an observation.

Some really good posts here about traveling with guns if you can find them.

Phazuka
11-10-10, 18:35
I'm sure if you follow procedure, your bodily person will be more harassed then your firearm. Will you "Opt out" of the x-ray scanner?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-10-10, 22:46
Ive got a question or two. Like the OP, Ive flown with pistols many times, but Ive never flown with my AR.

Can you fly with multiple firearms in the same case?

Do you have to put your pper in a locked case or is it just the lower that must be locked?

Eurodriver
11-10-10, 23:58
Ive got a question or two. Like the OP, Ive flown with pistols many times, but Ive never flown with my AR.

Can you fly with multiple firearms in the same case?

Do you have to put your pper in a locked case or is it just the lower that must be locked?

Yes. I do it all the time. I've had 3 rifles in one case, they treat it just like any other.

I would, for multiple reasons. The average person doesnt know an upper is not the "firearm", and as the upper is usually the most expensive part of an AR thats what I'd want locked in a case...

usmcvet
11-19-10, 11:01
I've found it helpful to print and carry a copy of the TSA and Airlines rules in case you're dealing with some one who does not know the regulations.

Krusty783
11-19-10, 13:12
I flew a couple times from FL to IL & back with rifles declared and checked like has been stated above with no problems.

FWIW, is your flight direct or do you switch planes anywhere? I only ask because I would be leery if you had a layover in NYC/Boston/some other anti-2a locale. I'm waiting for someone switching planes in NYC, DC, etc. to get arrested and have their firearm confiscated because their luggage just happened to open by accident and the baggage handlers discovered an AW / unlicensed handgun...

BenBru
11-20-10, 22:10
Interestingly enough I'm flying from Denver into Boston. My family lives on the NH seacoast so flying into Boston is the easiest way home.

It should be interesting... Manchester, NH is close too. I've never had a problem with pistols in Boston but we'll see how they do with an AR.

Luke_Y
11-21-10, 14:38
All sounds straight. You should have no problems.

I like the "Rock Samples" idea ;)

As a note on locks; A friend follows all of the above advice and adds one thing. He places 2 additional unlocked padlocks inside the case. If the TSA decides at some point that the case needs to be opened and inspected for whatever reason, they will attempt to contact you for the keys. If they cant contact you then they will cut the locks. They may be satisfied by the inspection but the case will now have no locks. No locks and the case will NOT go on the plane...

The friend apparently had it happen once. They tried to page him via the PA system, he didn't hear it. They said they made an announcement at the security checkpoint but it must have missed him. Later as it was near boarding time a gate agent called him up to the counter. She said security needs the keys to your locks. They called them from the gate, locks already cut. Gate agent saying no way will you get to an airport store to buy new locks, get down there and back, and still make this flight. Even if we have you bumped to the front of the security checkpoint line.

He left without his rifles... If there were new unlocked locks in the case he could have just told them to lock it up if they didn't already figure that out.

Funny thing was when he returned from the trip (borrowed a rifle) and aprehensivly claimed his bag... There were 2 TSA locks on it. :rolleyes:

chadbag
11-22-10, 11:52
Interestingly enough I'm flying from Denver into Boston. My family lives on the NH seacoast so flying into Boston is the easiest way home.

It should be interesting... Manchester, NH is close too. I've never had a problem with pistols in Boston but we'll see how they do with an AR.

Unless the price is so totally better in Boston, I avoid Boston Logan and just use Manchester. The traffic hassles alone are worth it.

JSantoro
11-22-10, 18:44
Definitely Manchester. Small, easy to navigate, contained within a state with the following motto: Live Free Or Die.

chadbag
11-22-10, 20:07
Definitely Manchester. Small, easy to navigate, contained within a state with the following motto: Live Free Or Die.

Honest to goodness MHT (Manchester) story. This is why I would not worry about flying to Manchester with an AR even though the story itself is pre 09/11.

In 1999 I was flying somewhat regularly from Manchester (I lived in Merrimack NH at the time) to Salt Lake City. I think I flew 11 times that year on that route. I would typically leave Thursday evening and return Sunday night. I had some servers in a data center in SLC and was doing work on them and visiting my parents and trying to jump start a non existent relationship I had with a girl at the time.

I flew with my ARs and other long guns a few times and handguns all the time. One time I got to the airport a little late. IIRC I parked in the (then new) parking garage that is right there instead of out in the long term parking where I usually parked (could be the garage was not finished until 2000 [also did a bunch of flying in 2000] and I had to take the long term shuttle to the terminal which made me later than desired after getting parked late), and went running in to the Delta/Comair checkin counter (this was when Comair's gate was on the very right of the airport and you walked out under an overhung walkway out to the plane and walked up the stairs -- I take it the new additions and stuff have upgraded Comair's gate since).

I had a locked long gun case with me. I get to the counter and tell them my flight (which was supposed to leave in like 20 min) and she said that the luggage acceptance was closed on that flight but that I could carry it to the gate and gate check it. I looked at her and said something along the lines of "really? I don't think they will let me through security with this" and nodded my head to the rifle case. She said something like, "oh, yeah" and gave me my boarding pass, grabbed the rifle case, and took off. IIRC we kind of skipped the "orange tag" bit. She ran it out to the plane and it got put on while I ran up through security and down and got there in time to get on the plane and go on my way...

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-22-10, 20:50
Honest to goodness MHT (Manchester) story. This is why I would not worry about flying to Manchester with an AR even though the story itself is pre 09/11.

In 1999 I was flying somewhat regularly from Manchester (I lived in Merrimack NH at the time) to Salt Lake City. I think I flew 11 times that year on that route. I would typically leave Thursday evening and return Sunday night. I had some servers in a data center in SLC and was doing work on them and visiting my parents and trying to jump start a non existent relationship I had with a girl at the time.

I flew with my ARs and other long guns a few times and handguns all the time. One time I got to the airport a little late. IIRC I parked in the (then new) parking garage that is right there instead of out in the long term parking where I usually parked, and went running in to the Delta/Comair checkin counter (this was when Comair's gate was on the very right of the airport and you walked out under an overhung walkway out to the plane and walked up the stairs -- I take it the new additions and stuff have upgraded Comair's gate since).

I had a locked long gun case with me. I get to the counter and tell them my flight (which was supposed to leave in like 20 min) and she said that the luggage acceptance was closed on that flight but that I could carry it to the gate and gate check it. I looked at her and said something along the lines of "really? I don't think they will let me through security with this" and nodded my head to the rifle case. She said something like, "oh, yeah" and gave me my boarding pass, grabbed the rifle case, and took off. IIRC we kind of skipped the "orange tag" bit. She ran it out to the plane and it got put on while I ran up through security and down and got there in time to get on the place and go on my way...

Ah, the good old days. Funny, I was thru there about every six weeks in that time frame ;)

Denver does have a 20rnd mag limit but travelers are supposed to be exempt. I've never had local PD ever involved in any handgun travel I've done so it won't probably come up.

striped1
11-22-10, 21:20
keep in mind your ar isn't mass friendly. you could get hassled. If you fly Delta /NWA into manchester they should hold your gun and have you go to the luggage counter to claim it. It is a better system because they will check the tag and your id. It keeps shitheads from walking off with it. In most airports it will just keep circling the belt until someone grabs it.