PDA

View Full Version : Minimum buyer age for Private handgun sale- WA

MookNW
11-09-10, 16:48
Found a local buyer for a handgun I've listed on another site. Does the buyer have to be 21? The one who replied to the ad is 19.

jklaughrey
11-09-10, 17:17
RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms:

The provisions of RCW 9.41.240 shall not apply to:

… [snipped for brevity. Only 6-9 could be applied in your situation]

(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper…
Source(s):
All Washington State gun laws can be found here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?…

Iraqgunz
11-09-10, 17:24
Here is the standard I would apply. If he can't walk in and buy it from a gun store, then he can't buy it from me.

I am 99% sure in order to buy a handgun you must be 21, but can possess one at 18.

Found a local buyer for a handgun I've listed on another site. Does the buyer have to be 21? The one who replied to the ad is 19.

jklaughrey
11-09-10, 17:28
WA does have a few weird things though in regards to handguns. But if someone else purchased and then "loaned" it to him that would be ok. But I personally would be uncomfortable with that.

yesicarry
01-02-11, 00:48
All handgun purchasers have to be 21. Period. If you sell to someone under 21 and that person is caught with it, you get busted.. Unless you think that person will keep his mouth shut and do time for illegal possession of a firearm in which I doubt some kid will do.

IShootBlanks
03-03-11, 23:21
From what I have read/heard/experienced. 18-21 is allowed private sale but not to buy from Dealer.
Do the bill of sale.. and i wouldnt worry about it.. but if your not comfortable then just express that.

I have bought and sold a couple handguns under the age of 21.. never had an issue because private sale is supposed to be unregulated here. but its your right to make the decision who you sell your gun to.