PDA

View Full Version : S&W CS .45- Opinions

SmokeJumper
11-10-10, 01:17
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/smithandwesson/modelcs45.jpg

A few guys at work are carrying the S&W CS .45 as BUG's and primary guns in plain clothes. I'm not positive, but I think that they are no longer in production. They have a stainless slide over an aluminum/alloy frame with a 6 round mag. I was just curious if anyone has any experience with these and what their opinions are good/bad.

JHC
11-10-10, 09:24
Every owner of one I have seen post experiences (mostly on the S&W forum) has raved about it. I thought I might like one a few years back and then stumbled onto one but handling it, it was a lot bulkier than I had imagined (well duh Joe) and the G26 sooo much more compact that I passed. I've never handled the much smaller 9mm model.

w.kyser
11-10-10, 10:53
I've only had a chance to handle one a few years ago and it felt like my dad's old 4516. It seemed a little smaller and a bit lighter however, so I would think recoil would be a bit harder.

SmokeJumper
11-10-10, 16:25
Every owner of one I have seen post experiences (mostly on the S&W forum) has raved about it. I thought I might like one a few years back and then stumbled onto one but handling it, it was a lot bulkier than I had imagined (well duh Joe) and the G26 sooo much more compact that I passed. I've never handled the much smaller 9mm model.

I agree, a bit on the bulky side for sure. My G27 seems a little more compact as well. I was thinking that this was an attempt by S&W for smaller guns with the mag. interchange ability like the Glock models have in all calibers. Since the CS .45 could be fed by the 7 rnd. mag from a 4516 or 8 rnd. mag from a full size .45. But that's all been changed with the M&P line now.

Irish10
11-11-10, 16:28
Typical S&W 3rd Gen semi-auto which translates to dependable and built to last. Recoil can be a bit harsh with full power 45 loads but as with all guns training will help you overcome it. Great little gun and mine ran like a clock but they are a bit chunky and heavy for thier size.

w.kyser
11-11-10, 19:33
The 4516 I use to shoot was nice and reliable but the only thing I never got comfortable with was the slide mounted safety. This is also the main reason I never warmed to M-9.

Irish10
11-11-10, 19:39
My primary duty gun for years was a 4566 in black melonite with a PC match barrel, trigger and action job. Heavy as a boat anchor but to this day, it's one of my favorite pistols!

jjw
11-12-10, 09:13
cant speak to the .45 but had a 9mm about 10 yrs ago. sent to Ayoob's bil at Tarnheim. never was very accurate. Ayoob did an article on it for a gun rag. before he did i called him, and discussed the accuracy. he was not happy with is sample ,and said so in the article.

never very popular, but for its time could not be beat. Tarnheim did a great job but i could not hit a head at 25 yds form a rest. 4" groups.
asked Ayoob and he was getting the same. he is anal about accuracy.

i owned a chain of video store's at the time, (50 in 3 states). told him i wanted to hit a "head" at 6 ft. he agreed i was more realistic then he. he mentions a "friend" of his who owned a retail chain and the friend thought 6 ft was fine.

never shot the .45 but it held true on the whole line i always was told from people who carried them, and sold them.

so many neat lite guns out now. u should pass on this. i carry a s&w .45 compact with a David bowie job on it. cant be beat.
small glock, Springfield, smith, khar. and more i cant memebr''. sold it to an under cover drug guy for his 3rd gun. told him about accuracy. he said it would be so close he didnt care. he was after reliability at distance of scumbag. he did get that. ran flawlessly.

pass and drive on to some thing good

good luck