PDA

View Full Version : Hate to ask, Need to know - CCW Fanny Pack?

Mo_Zam_Beek
11-10-10, 01:18
I need the best CCW Fanny Pack to fit a Sig 226.

Would like to see any color other than black / camo / coyote / tan

Would like to see single 'speed zip' style zipper

Thank you

Good luck

gtmtnbiker98
11-10-10, 10:28
I hear the sound of crickets.........

Aubrey
11-10-10, 10:50
I have had good results with a 1911 in a Hawkepak Micro GunPak, which is available in a variety of colors.

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/133

Tomahawk_Ghost
11-10-10, 11:14
Those are interesting. They don't scream gun like some others do.

I have had good results with a 1911 in a Hawkepak Micro GunPak, which is available in a variety of colors.

ST911
11-10-10, 12:08
The Eagles are GTG, but are rarely available in non-mil colors. Check with LBT. IIRC, they've done some in burdgundy, navy, and forest green.

If you use a purpose-built CCW fanny pack, consider adding a North Face, Jansport, Nike, or similar logo to the front of it as a distraction. For patches, hit your local goodwill or thrift stores for packs and remove them.

You may also find a decent fanny pack that isn't purpose built for CCW, but is readily adaptable. I recall seeing some North Face units that I thought were suitable, but I don't recall the model names.

Tulsa
11-10-10, 12:11
I guess I am supposed to be ashamed to admit this, but I have had great luck with concealed carry using waist packs. The little Glocks (26 and 27) are great in my small Galco waist pack, and my M&P 40c works great in my DeSantis Gunnysack Junior, even with the "full grip" magazine inserted. (This one also comes in Navy blue, although I always use black.)

I initially assumed that many people would obviously guess I was armed, but that turned out to not be the case at all. Virtually no one seems to have any clue, with the occasional exception of a police officer or security guard here or there. It also has the advantage of giving me a place to carry an extra magazine, my cell phone, a nice sized knife, wallet, keys, a few first aid supplies, etc.

This mode of carry has always worked so well for me I recommend it highly.

jasonhgross
11-10-10, 12:11
I might have an old eagle laying around in green, that being said, I wouldnt carry that way.

91Bravo
11-10-10, 12:44
I have a Blackhawk Fanny Pack that works acceptably. It could be better done in my opinion. I put a post in the M4C Eagle forum to see if I could get those guys to build a better one with no luck.

Just as with any holster one needs to practice with it.

Littlelebowski
11-10-10, 13:06
I've done this. Because I had to. G19 worked fine.

rob_s
11-10-10, 13:26
I have a Blackhawk with custom Raven insert that holds a G19 with Surefire X300. One of these days an article in SWAT will show up about the combination.

I use it largely for hotels and for some bump-in-the-night situations. Not really for out and about other than proof of concept when I first set it up.

TY44934
11-10-10, 13:42
Dunno why some appear so ashamed of this manner of carry. I know several accomplished LEO trainers from two agencies (one of these people taught at FLETC) who used such holsters off duty.

I carry using one from time to time.

And, two family members were robbed in 2008 in Huntsville. At the time of the robbery, these family members were seated in a car. Neither victim was armed. Had they been armed, a strong-side holster would not have been accessible, while a waist-pack holster would have allowed access.

Just make sure you do a LOT of practice/training with one if you opt to carry in this manner.

BillSWPA
11-10-10, 15:38
When I used to use a fanny pack to carry at times other than running, I used a Coronado Leather Original Stealthpack. The small size that fits a Glock 26 has a size and shape that resembles a standard fanny pack, and the fact that the zipper goes all the way around the pack is well disguised. I have worn this pack (mine is black) in places where I would have fully expected people to be knowledgeable enough to figure out that I was armed, but if anyone figured it out, they certainly didn't indicate this fact to me.

Today, I only use a fanny pack while running. Because I sweat a lot when I run, I need something washable. Lately I have been using a small size Tommy's Gun Pack. The wide strap helps while running, and the draw is reasonably fast. Numerous LEO's typically drive through the location where I run, and nether they nor anyone else has questioned the pack.

Obvious disadvantages of the fanny pack, which are why I no longer use them except for running, include:

1) Two-handed draw.

2) What do you do if someone pulls a gun on you and demands your fanny pack?

glockkid88
11-10-10, 21:04
The only other accessory that a fannypack carrier needs is a flourescent visor cap. As if you dont look enough like a tourist. :sarcastic:

Jerm
11-11-10, 02:00

This is a good choice.

SKD has $5 (and fast) shipping...Alot better pics and some reviews here...

http://www.skdtac.com/HawkePaks_Micro_GunPak_p/hkp.501.htm

Shane1
11-11-10, 12:33
I will ask, why a waist pack over iwb/owb/pocket/whatever? To me , waist packs have a very limited usefullness. I started out like 1000 years ago with the Bianchi model. For what it was, it worked as needed. I have a hawkpak currently. It works for when I need it, which is running. Its the only thing I found secure and comfortable enough for running. Other than that, it doesnt get much use.

ST911
11-11-10, 14:41
Dunno why some appear so ashamed of this manner of carry. I know several accomplished LEO trainers from two agencies (one of these people taught at FLETC) who used such holsters off duty. I carry using one from time to time.

Just make sure you do a LOT of practice/training with one if you opt to carry in this manner.

It's a viable method, but suboptimal. Fanny packs excel in environments where they're common, and clothing and concealment options are minimal.

Most folks make the mistake of simply adding a fanny pack to their wardrobe, without regard for how they fit into their overall appearance.

The only other accessory that a fannypack carrier needs is a flourescent visor cap. As if you dont look enough like a tourist. :sarcastic:

Yup. Find others that are carrying them. Look like a tourist.

FlyAndFight
11-11-10, 16:44
I picked up a Blackhawk fanny pack several years ago and it's come in handy when I've needed to carry discretely but couldn't carry in a IWB holster. It's better than not carrying at all.

Edit: Here's a pic of it with my G26:

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/1488/glock261.jpg (http://img2.imageshack.us/i/glock261.jpg/)

LHS
11-11-10, 21:26
I've been using an 'Original Tommy Pack' for years as a secondary carry method. It comes in non-tactical colors, it holds a full-size Beretta 92 and a spare magazine or two, and it works great for when I can't carry in a IWB rig.

I especially like it for long road trips, as it's a lot more comfortable in the vehicle, and easier to access while seated than any kind of belt holster.

Doru
11-11-10, 21:37
Not a fan (who is? lol), but for when you have to have one, this http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-TDI-Enforcement-Fanny-Pack/dp/B001H53QB2 works well.

Nice feature is that you can put a large frame auto in this, though it doesn't look like it could hold anything close to that size. Got a few loops to hold other things too, depending on how ninja you want to get.

Drew

Tmed
11-11-10, 21:54
I carry like this all the time, especially when I have to run in somewhere after going to the gym and I'm still dressed in light shorts. I use a Galco because it has the little pull that allows you to open it and draw with one hand. I am currently carrying a 226 and spare mag. Before that I carried a full size Colt Government Model. Yea my buddies always raz me about my purse but so what. At least I'm carrying. I have a hard time looking down my nose at people for stuff like that. Whatever works to get the job done!

jjw
11-12-10, 08:29
i bought 1 years ago at the big November Reno gun show. sewed a Eddie Bauer big bright logo on it. never had any one knock it of.

saw him at shot several years ago. ass hole, but bought 2 more sizes any way. tried to start a dialogue about carrying them. he was so inept he did not understand business. finally gave up.

have 3 size's in nice colors, blue,green, orange/tan. an no i am not selling them. google Tommy's gun pack. they are big out west. go to the phoenix gun show every December. have not seen any as several friends asked me to look. it is the best in the business. just fubar company. shame too, nice kit. when ever i see a sagging black bag on a 511"" type guy i know what is inside.

good luck

BillSWPA
11-12-10, 10:05
With apologies for the thread drift, I notice comments above about drawing while seated in a vehicle. With an IWB holster, which I typically wear in the 3:30 position, I can simply lean forward to draw the gun, even if wearing a seat belt. If pocket carrying, a BUG in an ankle holster solves the problem.

+1 for the above-mentioned idea of sewing on a logo for something else. I would suggest buying a pack in a color similar to those from a college or professional sports team, and then sewing on a patch with the logo from this team. With a smaller fanny pack, this is both more difficult and less necessary, but with a larger pack, the additional disguise will help.

TAZ
11-12-10, 15:50
On occasion I have used a Camelbak Goblin. Not sure if they still make it though. It's not one that screams gun and I have been able to blend in around town when a holster wasn't feasible like when kayaking, running... It also has the added bonus of being able to carry water. I can fit a G21 and spare mag along with the bladder wallet... A G19 works much better though.

Latimer Jones
11-13-10, 03:51
I know you are looking for a fanny pack, but maybe a Safepacker from The Wilderness would be a concept that would work for you? The color choice is limited, but it still might work. I only mention it because I have an interest in getting one as an alternative method of carry. It looks like it would be handy and possibly get away from a fanny pack/gun packer look some have mentioned. I have a Blackhawk forest green fanny pack for a full sized gun like a P226. I got it for a Glock 19. I also have used one of the black Bianchi models I got for a SIG P239, and as others have mentioned dressing for your environment is key. I prefer not to use them if I can go some other way.

+1 on adding a patch or logo to the fanny pack. Speaking of…I have a fly rod logo I need to stitch to a Scattergun Technologies case. My hope is to look like any other fisherman with a fly rod case walking into my hotel room.

LJ