PDA

View Full Version : Price/Reality Check for AR Setup

ASH556
11-10-10, 09:09
I built this gun about 5 or 6 years ago with what I considered at that time to be the ultimate HD/SHTF carbine. Components as follows:
LCW (Lauer) Lower Receiver
RRA 6 position M4 Stock
Mil-spec LPK
MIAD Grip
H buffer

Colt A2 Upper w/ M4 Ramps
Colt 14.5" Socom Barrel (light under hg's)
Perm AAC/Phantom FH
Colt Full-Auto BCG
PRI Gasbuster
Trijicon Sights
Surefire M500AB/Blue LED's
VTAC Sling

My thought at the time was that I could train myself to be fast/accurate enough with irons and with the simple nature and quality components used, the gun would be unlikely to fail.

Fast forward to this spring: I go and shoot a "tactial" carbine match and realize that an optic would be a huge benefit, as would a better trigger, lighter/longer forend, etc.

So I put this rifle up for sale on TOS and on consignment at work, and it's been a month with no bites. Am I priced too high? ($1000) Should I even sell this and re-configure, or do I just need to practice more with what I've got.

FWIW, the replacement I'm looking at is a KAC SR15 IWS. When I did the cost analysis, it is only $40 more to buy the KAC (with the cost offset from the sale of the above weapon) than to re-configure the above weapon the way I want it. Seems like a no-brainer.

What do you think?

Pic:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_4029.jpg

THCDDM4
11-10-10, 09:19
I think you have your answer as to why it is hard to sell. It is only $40.00 bucks more for a new KAC SR15 IWS. I think potential buyers are singing a similar tune as you: "Why buy a 5 year old used franken AR at _ price and have to spend money to reconfigure, when I can get a new factory built KAC for $40.00 more?".

Just a thought.

How many rounds do you have through it? Were the componenets purchased new or used when you bought them originally?

The AR market is flush with deals & Manufacturers right now; its a hard time to sell used stuff for premium prices when new can be found for similar cost; sometimes less even.

ASH556
11-10-10, 09:35
All were new parts exept the upper receiver itself, which was a takeoff of a fairly new gun from a guy that wanted a flat-top. Round count is roughly 1050 with zero failures.

Joeywhat
11-10-10, 09:54
I think you'll have a hard time selling a non-flattop AR, regardless of manufacturer or round count, for much more then $800 or so. Just not a big market for them, seeing as it's so difficult to add an optic.

What I would:

- Shave FSB and install 11" or longer free float rail/tube. I like the VTAC Extreme myself, although the 'regular' VTAC tube is also very nice.
- Throw optic on the new free float tube.
- Enjoy

You'll get a much longer handguard, can easily mount optic and with 1/3 CW the fixed rear will be a non-issue, and can also throw another light on there as well.

It will get you what you want without spending a ton of money. You can grab the VTAC Extreme tubes for well under $200, shaving FSB can be done DIY, G2 + mount is well under $100...I think you'll at least end up even with buying a new rifle in terms of costs...you might be able to sell your current setup at that price, but expect to wait a while.

ASH556
11-10-10, 11:20
I think you'll have a hard time selling a non-flattop AR, regardless of manufacturer or round count, for much more then $800 or so.

Is that price including the light or just bare rifle? What do you think the light is worth realistically? (Could sell to offset the rail cost if I go that route)

Belmont31R
11-10-10, 11:56
No one is going to buy a franken gun for 1k with an A2 carry handle.

You'd be better off parting it out.

Joeywhat
11-10-10, 11:57
Including the light. Granted I don't how much the light costs on it's own, rather I feel most people will either a) not want a light, period or b) want something different then that...in other words, you'd have to find someone who wants THAT specific setup to get the most money out of it, otherwise people won't pay extra for stuff they don't want.

It's a lot like a car with a lot of modifications. Some things add to resale value, a lot of things do not. At the end of the day you need to find someone who wants exactly what you have, or part it out and sell it stock.

Rusty_Shackleford
11-10-10, 11:58
If the light is included I think it is a very good deal for a grand if it has a low round count. It would make a great truck gun........

Iraqgunz
11-10-10, 12:09
I would try and sell the light and gun separately. The market is rather quirky right now and what some of us think is a good deal, isn't necessarily what buyers are looking for.

jasonhgross
11-10-10, 12:10
Send it to ADCO and have it reconfigured the way you want it. Sell off the unused parts that are taken off to cover the changeover. Or like the above posters said: replace the new parts with stock, part it out, sell off the rifle as a stock A2 colt.

5pins
11-10-10, 12:29
You’re also going to need to destroy the flash suppressor if you want to replace the forearm. I think I would either part it out or replace the A2 upper with a flat top.

Skyyr
11-10-10, 13:44
Honestly put, with the market already over-saturated with remorse buyers and brand-new guns at less-than-cost prices, you're not going to move it for $1,000.

As others have said, it's used, it's a franken-gun, it has a perma-pinned suppressor mount, and it lacks a flat-top - virtually everything is a deal killer for the average buyer. The light is the one good thing going for it.

Sell the light and the AR separately. Ask $500 for the rifle if you want to move it. Sell the light for whatever you think is fair - I'm thinking $350 - $450. You'll end up close to your original asking price without pigeonholing yourself into appealing to a relatively small group of buyers.

friendlyfireisnt
11-10-10, 14:12
Sell the light and the AR separately. Ask $500 for the rifle if you want to move it. Sell the light for whatever you think is fair - I'm thinking $350 - $450. You'll end up close to your original asking price without pigeonholing yourself into appealing to a relatively small group of buyers.

I agree with the above. Only thing I would add is sell the light on a forum dedicated to AR-15s, like here, and sell the carbine on a regional forum from wherever you are.

Often AR-15's will go for a bit higher price on the small regional forums than on the bigger forums.

sundance435
11-11-10, 00:03
Sell the light and the gun seperately and make more than $1000.

If the light is worth $3-400 and the gun is worth at least $650, then it shouldn't be hard to do that.

500grains
11-11-10, 09:38
So I put this rifle up for sale on TOS and on consignment at work, and it's been a month with no bites. Am I priced too high? ($1000)

There are NIB Colt 6520s out there for $900. So the average buyer is going to look at that number and go for the new one. Perhaps you will find a buyer who is looking for exactly the setup that you have, but probably not. My experience is that a used gun goes for 25% to 40% less than a new one. And on custom modifications, you may not get back a single penny. My guess is that your gun would move at $750, based on our local market here.

Should I even sell this and re-configure, or do I just need to practice more with what I've got.

If you want something new, just go out and buy it. If you are not having fun with the rifle you are currently using, then it needs to be replaced. That burning yearning that each of us feels for something new from time to time must be addressed.

justin_247
11-11-10, 10:06
Installing a rail on it is a bad idea, as you'd have to destroy the flash hider to get it off. If you absolutely positively decide you want to go the rail route, simply buy a DD Omega and then you won't have to make any modifications to the host weapon, and you'll have a stable enough platform to install an optic.

That being said, I don't understand why a person would want to spend $150-$300 on a free-float rail to mount an optic when you can simply buy a new flat-top upper receiver from Bravo Company for $90.

You should do pretty much what everybody else recommended... sell the light and gun separately.

If it was me, I'd sell the light and the upper receiver assembly separately and keep the lower. With the money from those sales, I'd buy a complete upper receiver assembly from Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, or Noveske, and then buy whatever trigger and stock I wanted and install them on the existing lower.

P.S. What were you going to swap out on the weapon that would add up to the $2000 or so cost for a KAC SR-15?

500grains
11-11-10, 10:53
Can you separate the flashlight from the forearm? If so, why not just keep the flashlight?

Cameron
11-11-10, 10:55
Why not keep the light for your new gun?

I suppose it is because the light is bigger than the carbine. :eek:

Cam

ASH556
11-11-10, 12:29
P.S. What were you going to swap out on the weapon that would add up to the $2000 or so cost for a KAC SR-15?

Addition List:
Flat top: $95
Geissele S3G: $230
Sopmod: $265
LP Gas Block (or shave/refinish current): $25
Rail: $300
Troy Sights: $200

Total: $865

KAC: $1900
Less sale of current weapon:($1000)
Total: $900

= $35 difference

I guess the biggest take-away from this exercise is what an increadible value the KAC IWS is.

ASH556
11-11-10, 12:33
I suppose it is because the light is bigger than the carbine. :eek:

Cam

The changing trends are humorous to me. 5 years ago when I built this, more light was better and people would mock you for having a "pistol light" (read Surefire X300) on your rifle. Technology and mindset have changed.

Another example of this is the MBUS sights:
Stage 1: ARMS #40 is awesome
Stage 2: ARMS #40 sux 'cause it doesn't lock up, but Troy is awesome 'cause it does
Stage 3: MBUS (plastic version of ARMS 40 basically) is awesome!

Oh well.

Skyyr
11-11-10, 12:59
The changing trends are humorous to me. 5 years ago when I built this, more light was better and people would mock you for having a "pistol light" (read Surefire X300) on your rifle. Technology and mindset have changed.

Another example of this is the MBUS sights:
Stage 1: ARMS #40 is awesome
Stage 2: ARMS #40 sux 'cause it doesn't lock up, but Troy is awesome 'cause it does
Stage 3: MBUS (plastic version of ARMS 40 basically) is awesome!

Oh well.

5 years ago, you couldn't get good lighting from small weapon lights. It was a limit of technology. Now, with the advent of lithium batteries, advanced circuitry, and high-output LED's, you don't need a large light.

5 years ago, ARMS was the only standardized adjustable quick-release weapon sight, so it was better than the fixed/bolt-on options. Fast forward to today, and ARMS has refused to keep up with the latest in technology. You can't adjust the mounts and once the springs/levers wear out, the sight is done for. Mounts from Bobro adjust to your rail using springs, and ADM and Larue mounts can be adjusted using screws. ARMS is outdated now.

Troys, along with KAC micro-sights, are the new standard for flip-up sights. Magpul sights are good economy offerings for those on a budget. That said, they're simply a reflection of new technology and what works. In another 5 years, if they fail to evolve with the market and with technology, they'll be viewed the same.

It's not about what's cool or popular, it's about what works and what works best.

.45fmjoe
11-11-10, 13:31
Honestly put, with the market already over-saturated with remorse buyers and brand-new guns at less-than-cost prices, you're not going to move it for $1,000.

As others have said, it's used, it's a franken-gun, it has a perma-pinned suppressor mount, and it lacks a flat-top - virtually everything is a deal killer for the average buyer. The light is the one good thing going for it.

I would part it out, you could get more than $500 for all the Colt parts.