PDA

View Full Version : Castle Nut - when to stake

Spiffums
11-10-10, 11:15
How long can you go/shoot a gun before you stake it? I am not sure what end plate I want to use on my new build. I want to try the ASAP but I'm not sure a 1 pt sling will be the way to go. I was going to get an end plate that took both hooks and threading the strap.

Would it hurt anything to shoot it for a month or 2 before I staked the nut.

jklaughrey
11-10-10, 11:17
Is your torque wrench "dead on balls accurate".- My Cousin Vinny.

VelveteenMole
11-10-10, 11:41
How long can you go/shoot a gun before you stake it? I am not sure what end plate I want to use on my new build. I want to try the ASAP but I'm not sure a 1 pt sling will be the way to go. I was going to get an end plate that took both hooks and threading the strap.

Just witness mark it and keep an eye on it while you T&E. Stake it when you make your decision. It's not gonna self-destruct between round 455 and 456.

jumbopanda
11-10-10, 15:17

You can shoot it forever without staking it, it's just that you run the risk of it coming loose every now and then if you don't keep an eye on it. If it does come loose, just re-tighten it. If you don't want to stake it right now, you could always use some loctite.

Hound_va
11-10-10, 17:27
If you don't want to stake it right now, you could always use some loctite.

This application for loctite has been covered numerous times on the site and this suggested usage is bad advice.

Eric
11-10-10, 17:32
Loctite on the receiver extension threads can be a PITA to remove and is best avoided.

mvician
11-10-10, 17:50
I just had this happen with my latest build. Wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to use the SLAP plate or something else. Torqued it, went to the range and noticed after 150 rounds that the nut was loose enough to turn with my fingers.

bkb0000
11-10-10, 19:21
dont loctite it.. that's gay.

i've staked temporary end-plates numerous times. in fact, one of my carbines has a temp stake on it right now, while i wait for a burnsed loop plate. i just staked one of the notches, instead of two.. and i staked it lightly and next to the side that would hit it first, if it started to back off.

Meplat
11-10-10, 21:40
Staking is done as a preventative measure to ensure that the possibility of it happening is eliminated. It may or may not come loose, but why chance it? Take 5 minutes with a punch and a hammer and it's something you won't have to worry about. If it's being used as a defensive or "serious use" weapon, then it certainly should be done (properly, too).
Also, as others have said, do not loctite it. It's a pain in the ass to remove and can cause some very annoying problems.

DaBears_85
11-10-10, 23:58
Is it possible to 'over-torque' a castle nut?

bkb0000
11-11-10, 00:11
Is it possible to 'over-torque' a castle nut?

..yep

DaBears_85
11-11-10, 00:29
..yep

What adverse effect(s) can it have on a weapon?

bkb0000
11-11-10, 00:32
What adverse effect(s) can it have on a weapon?

stripped threads on your receiver extension..

Iraqgunz
11-11-10, 01:34
Why anyone would recommend Loc-tite as opposed to doing it properly is beyond me. And FYI- a Loc-tited one will come loose also.

You can shoot it forever without staking it, it's just that you run the risk of it coming loose every now and then if you don't keep an eye on it. If it does come loose, just re-tighten it. If you don't want to stake it right now, you could always use some loctite.