PDA

View Full Version : Fixed or variable power optic?

Warg
11-10-10, 12:01
Decided to chuck the idea of using my SPR for hunting given its weight and the utility of my other firearms (really jazzed about my 6.8) and will likely only use this rifle for range work (500 yd max and 100-300 most of the time).

Now that I won't be hunting with it, I'm rethinking whether I need a variable optic or not. I was initially thinking of a NF 2.5-10x32, but at the price point I was considering (~ $1,500 ) I could probably step into nicer glass such as USO, S&B, etc. and still have mildot with mil/mil adjustments. What say you all? Comments and suggestions, please!

Thanks.

TehLlama
11-10-10, 14:01
If you plan on using it as an SPR (precision at ranges like 500m), but also plan on using it at 100, then variable seems a bit more practical to me, even if the cost is a bit much.

If illumination isn't as pressing a need, you could consider a cheaper optic if it's for fixed use only, and a larger objective unit would also be worth considering.

ALCOAR
11-10-10, 18:39
I would only consider running a higher magnification piece of glass like a 10x or 20x fixed if I was strictly shooting the rifle bench. Personally unless its a fixed lower power acog or similar optic I have no uses for a fixed power optic.

Suwannee Tim
11-10-10, 20:11
My favorite optic for guns I don't hunt with is 6.5 to 20 and I use them at about 10x for plinking and offhand target shooting, higher off the bench. I think of a 2.5 to 10 as a hunting optic, in fact that is what I have on a 375 RUM.

Redhat
11-10-10, 20:39
If you're talking about range shooting, I use a 10X Bushnell Elite 3200with target knobs and mildot reticle.

No it's not as good as the top brands, but I don't need it to be for shooting paper or steel out to 500 yds.

DMR
11-10-10, 20:46
One of my lessions learned from the Jim Smith Precision rifle class was managing your glass. Using a varible like my Nightforce 2.5x10 Compact is a great advantage. In low light, standing, sitting and kneeling ect, it's good to be able to back out of your glass. Dailing down to 2.5 while shooting steel at 50-100 helps you stay on the target. Doing the same at 10x the wobble zone is so magnified it's just about impossible to break the shot mentaly.

Like my Nightforce, not sure of my reticle and turret choice.

Warg
11-10-10, 23:42
One of my lessions learned from the Jim Smith Precision rifle class was managing your glass. Using a varible like my Nightforce 2.5x10 Compact is a great advantage. In low light, standing, sitting and kneeling ect, it's good to be able to back out of your glass. Dailing down to 2.5 while shooting steel at 50-100 helps you stay on the target. Doing the same at 10x the wobble zone is so magnified it's just about impossible to break the shot mentaly.

Like my Nightforce, not sure of my reticle and turret choice.

What did you select? I was thinking initially of the Mildot with 0.1 mil/mil, but would probably favor the MLR with mil/mil. Unfortunately the latter is not available on the compact.

Warg
11-10-10, 23:52
If you plan on using it as an SPR (precision at ranges like 500m), but also plan on using it at 100, then variable seems a bit more practical to me, even if the cost is a bit much.

If illumination isn't as pressing a need, you could consider a cheaper optic if it's for fixed use only, and a larger objective unit would also be worth considering.

That was my initial thought as well and I think the Night Force is a good optic for the price. However, lately I've been dialing up the mag on the bench or prone with my other toys even at 100 yds to good effect which is the principal reason I am considering a fixed power. Per DMR's post this "effect" certainly ain't gonna be good if I'm standing or kneeling and I completely neglected to think of that. Perhaps I should just go with the variable and try a cheaper fixed on another to see if I like it. I could always use another scope :D

TAZ
11-12-10, 16:05
I think with the SPR the 2.5-10 is a good choice. Going past 10x you're going to be paying a price penalty for little gain at the ranges you're looking at. Since you're not going to worry about humping the added weight you could look at a non compact scope in the same magnification range but with a bigger objective. My paper punching SPR currently sports an IOR 2.5-10 with mil knobs and it works well. IMO unless you're looking for bench rest type shooting going past 10x is not needed.

7 RING
01-04-11, 07:21
What would be the minimum power recommended for a variable scope while shooting 1000 yards ?

Gutshot John
01-04-11, 08:54
The real complication is in your caliber choice. If you were going .308 I'd definitely say the fixed 10x is a good choice to reach out beyond 500 yards. Using 6.8 (or 5.56) out to 500 yards max, the waters become a bit more muddied.

Having used a fixed 10x quite a bit I've found they work quite well at the ranges you specified (though I've only used them in .308). Inside of 100 yards is where you're going to start finding drawbacks but they're not overwhelming if you practice with your optic.

That said a fixed 10x may not be the "ideal" choice,it can certainly work and work well but what you save in money you're going to have to make up for in ammo and practice.

Remember that Marines and other snipers have used fixed 10x quite effectively for years (though strictly in .308/7.62 and recently they're switching to variables). They can be quite effective if you understand the cons as well as the pros and decide whether the cons are worth the money for a variable power.

It's not a CQB optic, an offset mount RMR would be an ideal match for close-in shooting. If however the ranges you specified represent 70% of your shooting than the fixed 10x can work well.

You're also correct that you can get much nicer glass for less money. It also eliminates the issue of FFP. Variable scopes are all well and good but those mil-dots/adjustments are only going to work at a specified power (usually the max) and so for real precision work you're going to have a de-facto fixed power scope anyways unless you make the investment in a FFP which can also add significant cost. (The NF 2.5-10x is NOT FFP).

No choice is without cost, it's just in where you want to make trade offs/economies.

What would be the minimum power recommended for a variable scope while shooting 1000 yards ?

How good are your eyes and how precise are you looking to be? 10x at 1000 yards is like open sights at 100 yards. If you're comfortable making head shots with open sights at that distance 10x would be fine.

I'd generally say 3-15x but that's just me.