PDA

View Full Version : Best Tasting Protien

glockkid88
11-10-10, 21:10
I just started using BSN syntha6 as a post workout protien for recovery and It is the best tasting protien I have ever tried!

randolph
11-10-10, 22:01
what flavor ?

I'll stick to my ON, Im more interested in the nutritional label than the taste..

Brian1/75
11-10-10, 22:22
Bahahahaha, sorry this topic title cracked me up. Yeah I need to grow up. Muscle Mass is pretty money tasting.

sro579
11-11-10, 05:29
My vote is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream

orionz06
11-11-10, 07:02
Sci-Fit Econowhey is pretty tasty, Strawberry Icecream actually tastes like a drink the fiancee would buy.

panzerr
11-11-10, 09:58
Eggs are tasty, plus they have nothing but L-amino acids which are the only ones your body can use.

Buyer be ware, the cheaper protein mixes (and probably some of the more expensive ones as well) are 50% D-amino acids and 50% L-amino acids which means if they say they have 50 grams of protein per serving you are only getting 25. Then, of course, you have the fact that your body can only absorb so much protein at a time...

rudy99
11-11-10, 10:37
I like Syntrax's (http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm) Nectar in Strawberry/Kiwi. I have also tried the same product in Fuzzy Navel, as that seemed to be rather popular online, but I wasn't a fan of it.

It is a protein isolate, which I've read it somehow better than protein concentrate, for whatever reason.

Mjolnir
11-11-10, 12:18
Eggs are tasty, plus they have nothing but L-amino acids which are the only ones your body can use.

Buyer be ware, the cheaper protein mixes (and probably some of the more expensive ones as well) are 50% D-amino acids and 50% L-amino acids which means if they say they have 50 grams of protein per serving you are only getting 25. Then, of course, you have the fact that your body can only absorb so much protein at a time...

Interesting.

Mjolnir
11-11-10, 12:20
I like Syntrax Matrix Chocolate and Creamy Strawberry flavors. The Chocolate I tend to overindulge in though...

I don't care much for the creamy texture though.

8200rpm
11-11-10, 21:04
I personally like beef. Raw shrimp is also tasty...

http://http.cdnlayer.com/smoola/00/00/9d/cda54ea9b5f74430_m.jpg

bsf
11-11-10, 21:57
........Then, of course, you have the fact that your body can only absorb so much protein at a time...
Watcha talkin about Willis?

BattleDrill3
11-12-10, 13:23
Your body can only absorb so much of any nutrient at one time, protein or otherwise. Whatever your body needs as the food passes through your intestines is absorbed then. (Contrary to popular belief, nutrients aren't absorbed in the stomach; the stomach just serves to break food down into a goo called chyme, to be absorbed, nutrient-wise, in the intestines.) Whatever isn't needed during the time it takes the pass through (which is why the intestines are so long), you shit or piss out. The point being, nothing is absorbed instantly. Liquids are absorbed more quickly as they are already in a fairly digestible form (you can get drunk pretty fast), but it takes some time for anything to be taken in by your body.

If your metabolism is moving quickly and/or certain nutrients have been depleted (post workout, for example), it is a good time to take in protein. The first hour after exercise is called 'the golden hour' for that reason. Very pure whey protein (nothing is actually pure) is good for this, as it is the most quickly-processed form of protein. Casein, or milk protein takes much longer to process, as it tends to solidify slightly in the stomach, allowing a 'time release' of nutrients that allows more to be absorbed as the body needs them. (It's more of a gel, really, but the physical form won't allow it to go quickly into the intestines.)

Any time you see 'time released' on a jar o' protein, it has casein protein. However, nothing you ever eat, from a steak to apples to a protein shake, is completely absorbed by the body. Much of it goes the way of the anus. All you can control is how well you chew your food (the start of the digestion process), making it easier for your body to absorb, and eating your food slowly. Eating your food slowly gives your stomach less to digest at one time, and ensures more nutrients will have been absorbed in the interim, allowing more to be needed, and thus more absorbed, with time. (In this case, drinking your protein shakes over the period of a half hour or so.) The type of protein selection is key as well, like I mentioned earlier.

ON tastes pretty good in general. I'm a BSN fanboy through and through, however. (Mochachino? Really? I drank hundreds of gallons of that shit the last time I was in Iraq.) That said, BSN may or may not have issues - they've been sued multiple times as a result of a few scientists claiming their 'ethyl-ester' creatines were scientifically impossible to produce. Nothing has come of it, but the point I'm making is that I don't 1000% trust the claims of any nutrition supplement company, but BSN's shit tastes so ****ing good I don't give care. (A far, far cry from the days when Nitro-Tech and Cell-Tech were the only options of any value out there.)

That said, all this talk of digestion reminded me I need to take a shit.

Stay safe.

lethal dose
11-12-10, 13:36
I'm a firm believer in the food pyramid and eating a balanced diet. Are you building mass? Weider used to have a product called mega mass 2000 which tasted great (chocolate) and yielded great results. That said, I'm not a dietician or nutritionist, so I can't suggest that you use it. Consider talking to a pro, if you already haven't. Proper diet and exercise yields our body's most natural results, imho.

Heartbreaker
11-12-10, 13:42
I like ON mint chocolate, 5lbs for $44 on A1supplements. The extreme milk chocolate is good too. I've never really had any protein that tasted bad to me, but I don't treat my shake like a gourmet meal so I suppose my taste standards aren't the highest.

buzby
11-12-10, 14:02
after taste has always been a bigger issue for me than flavor. most protein shakes i've had are drinkable, but always leave an after taste that stays with me for most of the day, even after brushing or eating something else

broberts001
11-12-10, 14:41
I supplement my protein post workout with Myofusion Chocolate. Low fat, high protein, low carbs and the taste is not too bad.

-Bryan

glockkid88
11-12-10, 15:19
I had tried a lot of different post workout supplements before and I was super excited that I finally found one that I enjoyed drinking. It is like drinking a glass of strawberry milk. Also my recovery time is much faster with this stuff!

VooDoo6Actual
11-12-10, 17:26
Always liked this product in Mochachino

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html

and

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
in Double Rich Chocolate

HTH...

WillBrink
11-13-10, 09:11

Cite?

panzerr
11-13-10, 09:53
Cite?

Animals can only make use of L-amino acids. Animal products are 100% L-amino acids, so if you get something 100% natural you are gtg. The problem is that when proteins are synthesized you get a 50/50 mixture of D and L amino acids, so you end up with 50% junk amino acids. Less scrupulous companies can sell you these useless amino acids as protein even if your body cannot make use of them.

As far as digestion goes realize that your body will not make use of a good deal of the protein it takes simply because your enzymes are only so efficient at breaking them down and your body can only absorb so much at a time. If you push too much through at a time you'll end up crapping it out instead of pissing it out (urea content increases with an increased amount of digested proteins in the body).

You can find this info in Biochemistry and Physiology texts.

WillBrink
11-13-10, 10:13
Animals can only make use of L-amino acids. Animal products are 100% L-amino acids, so if you get something 100% natural you are gtg. The problem is that when proteins are synthesized you get a 50/50 mixture of D and L amino acids, so you end up with 50% junk amino acids. Less scrupulous companies can sell you these useless amino acids as protein even if your body cannot make use of them.

As far as digestion goes realize that your body will not make use of a good deal of the protein it takes simply because your enzymes are only so efficient at breaking them down and your body can only absorb so much at a time. If you push too much through at a time you'll end up crapping it out instead of pissing it out (urea content increases with an increased amount of digested proteins in the body).

You can find this info in Biochemistry and Physiology texts.

All of which is of no practical value. Through normal production of protein powders, be it whey, casein, etc, the ratio of amino's are not changed. The standard protein scoring systems (PER, NPU, BV, etc) apply as usual, and there's no reason to attempt taking into account D amino acids as the proteins are in their normal state.

If you are taking actual individual aminos, then it could be an issue, but you will also find they are listed as L form, with the rare occasion some D form has in fact been shown to have some biological effects.

No supplement companies attempt to account for D forms to trump up numbers, nor would they bother adding additional aminos in their D forms. Supp companies pull a lot of shady stuff, but that's not one of them.

I do consulting work, R&D, etc for such companies, as well as major whey manufacturers, and 3 years of chem, including a year of bio chem, and your info is not correct.

panzerr
11-13-10, 10:25
I do consulting work, R&D, etc for such companies, as well as major whey manufacturers, and 3 years of chem, including a year of bio chem, and your info is not correct.

So you're telling me that all supplement companies don't cheat and use garbage protein? And you're saying that the body can absorb all of the protein it ingests?

Fact is, I don't care that much to argue. I don't take supplements myself. I don't see the use for them. If it cannot be achieved with hard work and a good diet it just isn't meant to be -and I've seen plenty of the guys do all their vomitous concoctions and their feeding schedules and pills and injections and what not while overseas. I've also seen them deflate like balloons when coming home.

Hard work and a good diet is where it is. There is no easy out.

WillBrink
11-13-10, 10:38
So you're telling me that all supplement companies don't cheat and use garbage protein?

How are you defining "garbage"? Regardless, low grade proteins they may use would be low grade due to things like higher lactose, ash, etc, or not well process (high heat, etc) leading to a high % of denatured proteins so their BV is poor, but it has nothing to do with any changes in L vs D aminos.

glockkid88
11-13-10, 15:08
I didnt mean to start a chemistry argument. I just wanted to let people who struggle to choke down a post workout supplement that there is a really good tasting protien that performs really well. And the whole thing about a good diet being the end all be all is bullshit imo. the fact is that a supplement is just that a supplement to your diet. If you choose to eat 14 eggs a day that is your choice. I would rather eat chicken breast for dinner and a protien supplement after I work out. My muscle recovery is much faster since I started taking the SYNTHA6.

Militant83
11-18-10, 13:39
My favorite is the Dynamatize milk chocholate

WillBrink
11-18-10, 15:47
I didnt mean to start a chemistry argument.

You didn't :cool:

Magic_Salad0892
11-27-10, 23:46
Lmao. I had a really great answer for the OP.

I need to grow up.

In all seriousness though, fish. Lots-o-fish.

Lost River
11-28-10, 10:10
Elk meat or buffalo is my favorite.

I am a lifelong hunter of the Rocky Mountains, so wild game is where I get a lot of my protien, when I am home.