PDA

View Full Version : Can I take my dads gun to the range?

LCSD S.W.A.T.
11-10-10, 22:23
Hi, can I take my dads handgun to the range? I'm only 19, so I cant buy handguns, but can I legally take my dads gun to the range? We live in the same house and I would have his OK, is it legal? BTW I live in OH. Thanks

chris514scott
11-10-10, 22:34
Yes you can. At 18 years of age you can legally own a handgun but not purchase one, You can legally posses handgun ammo but not purchase it. And in Texas (not sure about you state) you can even have a Carry Conceal Permit when you 18 as long as you are in the service, but still can buy the gun or ammo (stupid laws). So yes go have some fun and shoot it up. Oh just make sure the gun range is ok with it. The gun range down the street wont even let my wife shoot because shes not 21 (probably insurance related).

Happy shooting. ;)

Beat Trash
11-11-10, 15:02
Hi, can I take my dads handgun to the range? I'm only 19, so I cant buy handguns, but can I legally take my dads gun to the range? We live in the same house and I would have his OK, is it legal? BTW I live in OH. Thanks

Sorry, not in Ohio...

Ohio Revised Code

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.
(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-31-1997

If he were to go with you, then it's a non-issue.

Fail-Safe
11-11-10, 15:37
Sorry, not in Ohio...

Ohio Revised Code

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.
(A) No person shall do any of the following:

(1) Sell any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age;

(2) Subject to division (B) of this section, sell any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age;

(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of improperly furnishing firearms to a minor, a felony of the fifth degree.

Effective Date: 03-31-1997

If he were to go with you, then it's a non-issue.

Actually, reading that law, it says he can go to the range. While the handgun is being furnished to him, it isnt being sold. Going to the range constitutes " instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship", and if there is a RSO at than he would be "under the supervision or control of a responsible adult".

operator81
11-11-10, 16:05
Actually, no he can't. "Furnish" means to give. That means an adult can "give" a minor a weapon while engaging in the listed activities as the adult would be supervising. He can get jammed up traveling to and from the range without an adult present with him. Better off to play it safe and wait for your dad, or someone over 21 to take you.

ChicagoTex
11-11-10, 16:11
Actually, reading that law, it says he can go to the range. While the handgun is being furnished to him, it isnt being sold. Going to the range constitutes " instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship", and if there is a RSO at than he would be "under the supervision or control of a responsible adult".

That dodge would kind of work if there was an RSO or someone else on hand at all times.

BUT, you still run into two problems:
1. The OP would be unsupervised in transit, and therefore outside the law.

2. Just because an RSO is there doesn't mean they necessarily fit the legal definition of "supervision of a minor" as they are, in fact, supervising the range and their attention is divided amongst all shooters present (as well as any other range-related duties). Moreover, to expect an RSO to take legal liability on your behalf without getting his express permission for that purpose is it's own massive legal can of worms.

My advice is just to stick it out for another 2 years, it's really not that long.

Suwannee Tim
11-11-10, 17:04
Ask a cop, see what they say. Make sure, really sure you know the answer before you do it. The world is full of anti-gun busy bodies who are eager to call the law. Don't trust the goodwill or common sense of the prosecutor to bail you out. He might just be looking for someone to make an example of.

Beat Trash
11-12-10, 03:34
Ask a cop, see what they say. Make sure, really sure you know the answer before you do it. The world is full of anti-gun busy bodies who are eager to call the law. Don't trust the goodwill or common sense of the prosecutor to bail you out. He might just be looking for someone to make an example of.

I've been a LEO for the last 18 years in the largest agency in SW Ohio. I posted a copy of the ORC that relates to the OP's question.

If he legally transports the gun (unloaded and locked in the trunk) no one will ever know. Until he might get into an auto accident, and have to explain to the officer about the gun in the trunk.

Would the officer arrest him? Depends on the officer. But the OP asked, "can I legally take my dads gun to the range?".

The answer according to the ORC is no, it'd be a felony of the 5th degree.

Suwannee Tim
11-12-10, 09:18
I've been a LEO for the last 18 years in the largest agency in SW Ohio........The answer according to the ORC is no, it'd be a felony of the 5th degree.

I agree with your interpretation and obviously defer to you. I didn't notice you are an LEO. We seem to be getting a variety of opinion as to whether a Range Officer constitutes adult supervision. I am very, very reluctant to do something that might draw the adverse attention of the law. The consequences can be serious, far reaching and unforeseen. Many people have plead guilty to misdemeanor domestic abuse and received a token sentence. Years later, Federal law is changed and these folks find themselves deprived or their RKBA. I would only risk a criminal prosecution under the most dire circumstances. Examples might be trespassing to get out of a failed river trip and back to civilization or homicide if the descendant was trying to kill me.

Beat Trash
11-12-10, 14:01
Most indoor ranges don't have range safety officers. Private shooting clubs tend to differ.

The main legal issue the OP would have in my opinion is getting to and from the range by himself.

Would he be likely to have any issues? Chances are no one would ever know what he has in his trunk.

But if something were to happen while going to or from the range, such as he was rear ended in an auto accident hard enough to pop open his trunk, then the presence of his hand gun is more likely to be known.

Would he be arrested? Would his father? A lot would depend on the officer, on the circumstances, and on how the OP reacts.

But from a legal standpoint, his being provided with the handgun without supervision was a felony.

Easy solution, make it a father/son day at the range.

efgh346
11-12-10, 21:56
SPAMMER