PDA

View Full Version : NYPD Mossbergs?

cathellsk
11-11-10, 01:23
Does anyone know any specifics on the Mossberg 590A1(?) that NYPD adopted awhile back? Also, I thought I read somewhere that Mossberg was going to release this version to the public. Any truth in that? I'm just wondering as I have an interest in NYPD firearms.

Ed L.
11-11-10, 03:57
According to an article from a year or two ago, they were having problems with their new Mossbergs:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/shoot_cop_guns_don_work_1aynri0kjgmLOShIoAcpZM

jrx35
11-11-10, 06:57
Saw the 590A1 at Palmetto State Armory yesterday.

$584

http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1378.php

DMR
11-11-10, 08:22
According to an article from a year or two ago, they were having problems with their new Mossbergs:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/shoot_cop_guns_don_work_1aynri0kjgmLOShIoAcpZM

NYPD also had trouble with their Glocks. The ESU uses some of the 500 "Tacticals" for breaching. They are PGO 5+1 with a breaching barrel. The Highway division has a 14" 590A1 5+1 with a Speedfeed stock and pistol like fixed sights on the barrel. I don't know what load they are regulated for.

If I didn't live in NY that would be my personal shotgun. A non-NFA version is also availible. Based on some of our sales they have a few other models on hand also. I'll try to pull up the SKU's for you today.

ursus.peracto
11-11-10, 19:21
Does anyone know any specifics on the Mossberg 590A1(?) that NYPD adopted awhile back? Also, I thought I read somewhere that Mossberg was going to release this version to the public. Any truth in that? I'm just wondering as I have an interest in NYPD firearms.

The A1 has been available to the public since Jan 09'

http://www.mossberg.com/press/pdf/58.pdf

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_firearms_shotgun_mossberg590.php

It's good enough for our military and LE. NYPD probably didn't want a liability issue to arise. Funny how they never amend certain stories with a follow up report. The failure could have been operator error.

It's a good solid shotgun.

cathellsk
11-12-10, 00:16
Thanks guys. I should have said I know what the 590A1 is, just want to know more about the specific version used by NYPD. I found a topic on another sight but it quickly degenerated into a 590 vs. 870 fight and there wasn't anything in depth here about it, just casual mention. I heard something about the three dot sights, 13"LOP speedfeed stock, and 14" barrel.

DMR, if you could get me those SKUs and someplace to locate one, even if its the non NFA version, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to pick one up.

DMR
11-12-10, 08:01
SKU 52682 is for the non-NFA version
http://mossberg.com/images/products/590A1/52682.jpg

The actual NFA issue version is SKU #53688

Not sure where you will find one in stock.

cathellsk
11-12-10, 10:02
Thank you DMR. I had seen that model but wasn't sure if it was the NYPD one since it didn't state the LOP for the stock or have NYPD in the description.

Slinger646
11-16-10, 21:57
I'd be willing to bet any malfunctions are caused by the NYPD and their monkeying with a good gun in the name of liability.

Glock NY Triggers are a prime example.

Bayer
11-23-10, 13:38
Didn't Mossberg offer a double action trigger at one time. If thats what the NYPD ended up with it was probably a very very heavy trigger weight, 9lb like the crazy NY glock trigger.

G19dude
02-22-11, 00:33
Hopefully they will get it figured out and have good equipment in the street.

R Moran
02-22-11, 09:36
That's a ridiculous comment. I have a friend who is on the job in NY.

Pat Rogers also had problems with his NYPD issued G19, are you saying he was not up to the task of running a G19?

And they say Kahrs get a pass:rolleyes:

Bob

Redmanfms
02-22-11, 11:16
NYPD must have set the bar very low in their hiring process. I am not surprised. They can't figure out how to uses a Glock..Draw, point, shot...So maybe someone should tell them the safety is on top of the weapon and should be disengage before firing.

Actually, they were very good at draw, aim, shoot, but political issues arising from that led to a bunch of lawyers pinning responsibility for some of the officer-involved shootings on the Glock's trigger being too easy to pull. So they monkeyed with the trigger.

G19dude
02-22-11, 12:16
Agree political issues get in the way of many things. It is too bad they do and some times get in the way of officer safety.

Detmongo
02-22-11, 13:43
G19,
stay on topic. if you know about the NYPD shotguns fine. no reason to attack MR. Moran. you have been warned

G19dude
02-22-11, 14:35
G19,
stay on topic. if you know about the NYPD shotguns fine. no reason to attack MR. Moran. you have been warned

you are right. my fault I was way off topic.

Detmongo
02-22-11, 14:38
[QUOTE=G19dude;917737]Oh your boyfriends must be in the NYPD the way you are sticking up for them and all. I didn't mean to offend you or your life partners.

this is what i'm talking about.

mhanna91
02-22-11, 16:54
Wow, tough guy behind a keyboard I reckon:rolleyes:. Anyways, I believe this is a picture of the 3 dot sight setup, but in an 18.5" configuration.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/52682.jpg

G19dude
02-22-11, 18:00
[QUOTE=Detmongo;917884][QUOTE=G19dude;917737]Oh your boyfriends must be in the NYPD the way you are sticking up for them and all. I didn't mean to offend you or your life partners.

Look I typ

Redmanfms
02-22-11, 18:33
Hey man I am not trying to offended anyone Moran said something about my comment so I just said something back..I let it get out of hand..I am not trying to offend the NYPD or take a low blow at the NYPD. I just tried jumping back into the thread I am not trying to arugre with you....(I wrote shooter malfunction or equipment malfunction?....that is legit) I think when I wrote that is "that is legit" it may have been interpreted differently than how I typed it. I was just saying what I just typed was legit...NOT what I wrote between me and Moran...I was not defending what i said to be legit

Look I typed what I typed you corrected me. So I moved on....Lets be real there is a a percent that slips through the cracks. It is possible that it could have been a shooter malfunction or perhaps there might have been a lower end replacement part on the gun...or maybe it just came from Mossberg that way. In my Dept some people go fu*king with things they should leave their hands off of it could have been that. Either way they did the right by getting the proven guns back on the road. I would not want to see any officers equipment go down when they need it...I have seen guns go down in Iraq and it is a bad day. I do apologize if I offend you.

I didn't attack you, I corrected you and I did it respectfully, yet it is pretty clear from the use of plurals in your response that you were also making an inference about my sexual orientation. That is unacceptable and indefensible.

That said, I accept your apology and respectfully recommend you read this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54936

- Listen more than you talk when you don't have the answer.
- Talk when you have something worthwhile to ask or say.
- Say it in as respectful a manner as possible.
- Strive to stay within the boundaries of your knowledge.
- Understand that others may have valid reasons to disagree with something you say and don't let that offend you.
- Humility is a marvelous personality trait and is encouraged here.

Let the conversation about shotguns continue.

bilat
03-02-11, 22:48
I'd be willing to bet any malfunctions are caused by the NYPD and their monkeying with a good gun in the name of liability.

Glock NY Triggers are a prime example.

I can attest to them messing around with the guts of department guns.

Travis B
03-04-11, 21:36

$584

I'm really surprised they aren't advertising that gun for what it is: 590A1 SPX. There are almost $400 of accessories on that gun. I love mine

Beat Trash
03-05-11, 13:01
Does anyone have any trigger time with one of the NYPD type shotguns? I am interested in the "pistol type sights".

I have not seen one in real life. I'd be interested in how they compare to using the same gun with a bead sight, and with a peep sight.

I'm seriously looking into buying an 18" 590A1. When I first saw the pistol sights, I kinda liked the idea. The more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure.

Anyone that can offer feedback?

G19dude
03-05-11, 15:07
Does anyone have any trigger time with one of the NYPD type shotguns? I am interested in the "pistol type sights".

I have not seen one in real life. I'd be interested in how they compare to using the same gun with a bead sight, and with a peep sight.

I'm seriously looking into buying an 18" 590A1. When I first saw the pistol sights, I kinda liked the idea. The more I think about it, the more I'm not so sure.

Anyone that can offer feedback?

I am not with the NYPD but I can offer you my humble experience with the 590a1 thus far. I hope this may help. If anyone disagrees or has more experience I am also open to options/ideas.

The pump shot gun I am currently running is the 590a1 20in bbl with ghost ring sights.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26

I currently have about 500-600 rounds through it. It is wearing the mossberg stock ghost ring sight. The front sight is bright orange I found in regular light conditions with proper TRAINING I can be just as fast with these sights as a bead. I am using the bead as a data point. I found with my shooting at close range I am the fastest with a bead. Fast in getting on target and multi target engagements. However after using the ghost rings with the bright front sight my eye is drawn to the front sight and I basically use it as a bead. (In standard lighting conditions)

The ghost rings have helped me stay center mass when doing slug change overs at 75-100 yards.

I did spend limited time with the as you stated "pistol" which are actually rifle sights in a 3 dot configuration. I found these to be a little faster than my ghost rings (with out training on that sight system). I also found that I was more accurate with them out to about 75-100 with slugs vs the bead.

The bead is great at close range 0-25 yards. If you are looking to do 50-100 yard slug shots it is very do able but one would have to spend more range time honing that skill.

The rifle sights seem to be the middle ground for me where I am fast at close range and combat accurate out to about 100 with slugs

The ghost rings I am a bit slower at close range but I have been spending a lot of time (training) with my 590a1 w/ g-rings that I feel it is a non issue. I am more than combat accurate 50-100 with slugs 50 yard head shots 100 yards center mass.

*note all targets used were a standard silhouette

No matter what sights you go with make sure you pattern your gun and spend a lot of time with it.

hf0311
03-05-11, 15:43
I have a 590a1 with the pistol type 3 dot sights. There doesn't seem to be any real advantage with them except that they look kinda cool. This shotgun was a impulse buy and i would have been happy with just a beed up front, but this was the only 590a1 in the gun store and it was the first a1 i had seen outside the Marines. I'll post a few crappy pics i just took of the sights. Also Both the front and rear required loctite, I almost lost my front sight the first time i shot this gun and the rear sight came loose within a few range sessions.

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l495/hf0311/VID00133.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l495/hf0311/VID00132.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l495/hf0311/VID00131.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l495/hf0311/VID00130.jpg

Beat Trash
03-05-11, 16:34
Thanks for posting the photo's, and for your comments about the durability of the sights.

I like the idea of the 18" 590A1, might pass on the pistol type sights.

austinN4
03-05-11, 18:21
The A1 has been available to the public since Jan 09'
Earlier than that - I bought my 590A1 (51663) in 2007 and they were on the consumer web site before that.

And it isn't just one model that is a 590A1 - there are numerous models (variations) that are all 590A1s, not to be confused with regular 590s.

m24shooter
03-06-11, 09:18
You are correct Austin. The 590 and 590A1 have been available since the very early 90s at least to the general public.
That press release is rather goofy and I still don't know why they did that. Kind of like Coleman saying they now sell camp stoves to the general public.

DMR
03-09-11, 16:45
Mostly it's process. The 590A1's are a on the LE price sheets, so you had to order through a LE distributor. If you didn't go looking for them they were hard to find. Now they have opened them up to their other distributors so they are easier to find.

Didn't hurt when I made all the LE SKUs available a couple years ago on TOS. They saw the sales go up and there you are.

.45fmjoe
03-17-11, 16:14
I have the 20" M590A1 with ghost ring sights and I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 18.5" instead.

Pathfinder Ops
03-22-11, 16:01
I have a 590A1 20" and find it a GREAT choice for me. I'm the Medic on our tactical team. I'm armed (handgun only cuz I have enough crap to carry) and am in the stack but do not carry a long gun on deployments.

I qualify annually with my team on the department SG's (which are shorter barrels) and with my own 20". I feel I have better results with the slightly longer barrel.

Not a scientific study but year after year I am happier when 'm shooting my gun vs the department shorter version.

EDIT- OOPS... I forgot to mention my 590A1 is set up with Ghost ring sights where the department SG's are not... and that may be a factor in my results vs length of barrel.

Denali
03-24-11, 00:26
And it isn't just one model that is a 590A1 - there are numerous models (variations) that are all 590A1s, not to be confused with regular 590s.

The so-called regular 590 v 590A1 turns up very little that is different between the two. In fact the only differences are the trigger housing, safety(steel on A1), and maybe the heavy walled barrel & parkerizing.

Then again my 590SP has the heavy walled barrel, and has been parkerized too, though it's trigger housing and safety are polymer. Aside from those differences they are the exact same weapon...

brushy bill
03-30-11, 21:57

$584

Remington 870 Police Model was $399 latest edition of CDNN catalog. Steel receiver vice aluminum...interesting cost difference.

G19dude
03-31-11, 20:19
Remington 870 Police Model was $399 latest edition of CDNN catalog. Steel receiver vice aluminum...interesting cost difference.

You can't go wrong with a new 870p for 399...I have seen good used police trade ins for 250-300...For a few extra dollars you can break it in and put the wear marks on yourself.

As of today the price is still 399 I am going to order one tomorrow. Add a Mesa 6 shot shell holder, GG&G single point sling mount, Wilson/SGT over sized safety, Surefire fore grip and call it done.