PDA

View Full Version : Anyone holding off on buying a Gen 4 Glock .40

seang
11-11-10, 19:27
I had been considering switching to a Sig .40 or H&K USP compact .40 for duty. I had a USP thread posted a couple days ago. I went back to the range and rented the 3rd Generation G23 and H&K P30 .40 da/sa.

I currently carry a G22 and am glad I shot the G23 as the shorter grip and slide length made it more fun to shoot and I shot it better than my G22. I know there isn't much difference in lengths, but I could certainly tell.

I also shot the P30 in .40 and I ended up liking it more than the first time I shot it. I shot a little high on the double action pull and once in awhile on the single action shot, but I tend to do this when first shooting a da/sa gun if I haven't been training with one. It usually takes me a couple hundred rounds to get used to one again.

I decided I was going to purchase a G23 3rd generation because I shot it better initially than the HK P30 and I wouldn't have to buy new holsters. The LE dealer here said it would be a couple months before they could get me a 3rd gen. They did have a 4th gen. with Trijicon night sights. I didn't purchase it since I have heard of some issues with the trigger failing to reset and the dual recoil spring digging into the frame.

Normally, I would just purchase one and put 500 to 1000 rounds through one and call it good. From my understanding though, some of the trigger reset issues haven't occurred until a couple thousand rounds. I have no doubt Glock customer service will take care of me if I have a problem and the Glock rep. here is awesome. I am hesitant to try the Gen 4 as it would be real bad to find out my trigger didn't reset in a gunfight. I know any gun can have it's issues, so am I being overly paranoid?

I decided on the Glock 23 simply since I am used to the trigger and already have the gear. Price isn't such a big deal as I am willing to spend the money since my life depends on it. I did shoot the P30 better at 25 yards. In fact, I don't remember shooting a group that small at 25 yards with any gun before.

Would you hold off on the 4th generation Glock 23?

Entropy
11-11-10, 20:01
I had been considering switching to a Sig .40 or H&K USP compact .40 for duty. I had a USP thread posted a couple days ago. I went back to the range and rented the 3rd Generation G23 and H&K P30 .40 da/sa.

I currently carry a G22 and am glad I shot the G23 as the shorter grip and slide length made it more fun to shoot and I shot it better than my G22. I know there isn't much difference in lengths, but I could certainly tell.

I also shot the P30 in .40 and I ended up liking it more than the first time I shot it. I shot a little high on the double action pull and once in awhile on the single action shot, but I tend to do this when first shooting a da/sa gun if I haven't been training with one. It usually takes me a couple hundred rounds to get used to one again.

I decided I was going to purchase a G23 3rd generation because I shot it better initially than the HK P30 and I wouldn't have to buy new holsters. The LE dealer here said it would be a couple months before they could get me a 3rd gen. They did have a 4th gen. with Trijicon night sights. I didn't purchase it since I have heard of some issues with the trigger failing to reset and the dual recoil spring digging into the frame.

Normally, I would just purchase one and put 500 to 1000 rounds through one and call it good. From my understanding though, some of the trigger reset issues haven't occurred until a couple thousand rounds. I have no doubt Glock customer service will take care of me if I have a problem and the Glock rep. here is awesome. I am hesitant to try the Gen 4 as it would be real bad to find out my trigger didn't reset in a gunfight. I know any gun can have it's issues, so am I being overly paranoid?

I decided on the Glock 23 simply since I am used to the trigger and already have the gear. Price isn't such a big deal as I am willing to spend the money since my life depends on it. I did shoot the P30 better at 25 yards. In fact, I don't remember shooting a group that small at 25 yards with any gun before.

Would you hold off on the 4th generation Glock 23?

Stay away from the Sig. Both the P30 and the Glock 4th generation .40 are good to go. I prefer the P30 personally, but I've used Sigs for about a decade and am used to DA/SA guns.