PDA

View Full Version : Shaved fsb vs standard fsb

maddawg5777
11-11-10, 19:34
I am in the process of parting together a bcm middie to purchse when I get back stateside. Question is besides being free floated and a clear view for optics(front sight folder down) does the shaved fsb provide any other qualities better than the standard fsb.( I would prefer shaved due to the annoyance of the gray blurr from the standard when looking through an acog on my .mil rifle.) Thanks for any input, I tried the search and didnt come up with any definative answers.

jumbopanda
11-11-10, 19:59
Well the main reason why people would want a shaved FSB is so that it becomes a low profile gas block that can be covered by certain rail systems.

m4fun
11-11-10, 20:09
And it being a shaved down FSB you are keeping it "pinned" as opposed to purchasing a low profile gas block that would normally have a set screw and risks potential loosening.

I honestly have no issue with a full FSB on my one middie.

maddawg5777
11-11-10, 20:21
If i do go down that route I pan on keeping it pinned, was just wonderng pros and cons of both. Seems the shaved fsb seems to be the flavor of the month right now. Im not worried about having 10 miles of rail on it since im used to my .mil colt. Good to know that only having a set screw it may leak, maybe ill just stick with the standard and save 100 bucks.

PRGGodfather
11-11-10, 20:38
IMHO, a fighting gun should have an FSB. Also, IMHO, the carbine length handguards/rail systems are too short for recoil management or muzzle control, unless running an SBR.

If you want more rail, using an FSP type rail will allow an aggressive forward grip position and allow you to mount a light at 12 o'clock. For me, I don't want to have to flip up the front sight, too, should I lose my primary optic in the fog of combat -- but YMMV. I don't even notice the FSB with either an RDS or an Accupoint -- but it seems some folks are sensitive to such blurs.

If you want a low-pro gas block, the shaved FSB is one the strongest ways to go, and it is guaranteed to line up with the barrel properly. If you're NOT interested in going with a longer rail, there isn't much point to it.

Again, YMMV.

maddawg5777
11-11-10, 21:09
Thanks for your insight god father. I too dont mind the front sight with a RDS but i got an TA01 for basicly free off a friend and with one mounted on my .mil rifle the blurr at the bottom is just a litte annoying but not enough to make me swear off a standard front sight post. Well maybe Ill have to trade the acog for an eotech since this rifle will be a hd/shtf/plinking at coyotes rifle.