PDA

View Full Version : Zeroing an AK-74

Carniemedic
11-11-10, 20:12
I’m a new AK-74 owner and I was wondering how to properly zero this rifle. Before I go on, I admit that I am a novice AK owner, but I thirst for knowledge and strive for proficiency. Long story short I took it to the range and popped its cherry at 25 yards with the rear sight at the n position thinking this was my battlefield zero and would be on at this range. It was about 6 or 8 inches low so I adjusted it and put my groups in the center of the target. When I moved the target out to 100 yards and I put the rear sight on the 100-meter mark, I was very high and shot the clip off the target holder arm. I should have trusted Arsenal to have zeroed my rifle in at 100 meters but it didn’t come with the test fire target so I didn’t. Well the rest of my range time was spent messing with the front sight pin and shooting at 100 yards. I finally got my groups in the center black, but still a bit high. Then my range time ended. Will someone give me a few tips on zeroing my 74 at a closer range so that I will be dead on at 100. I heard somewhere that I could put the rear blade on 3 or 4 get it to hit center at the 25yard mark and then my gun will be dead on at 100 with the rear blade on 1. Is this true? If not which is the right way. Thanks!

lloydkristmas
11-11-10, 20:38
I've been out of the AK game for some time now, but here's what I always did....

Keep in mind I've always relegated my AK's to "closer range" type work, so I typically use them for stuff under 100m.

I put the sight in the "battle" position, or whatever its called, where the rear sight leaf rests in the lowest point of the rear sight housing. I then adjust the front sight post to where the gun consistently hits about an inch and a half below bullseye at 25 yards. This translates into being more or less on target at 100.

I used my AK for hog hunting, and dont think I ever took a shot past 50 yards, so my rifle was set up for this type of use. Keep this in mind, especially if you plan on shooting at longer ranges. The AK is certainly capable of it, I just didnt do much of it.

Heavy Metal
11-11-10, 20:47
1) Set rear sight at 100M.

2) Set target at 100M.

3) Zero to center mass on target at 100M.

4) Verify at 200M with site on 200M and at 300M on 300M range permitting.