PDA

View Full Version : Barrett MRAD

Sensei
11-12-10, 06:55
Since nothing came up on a forum search, I thought that I'd post this video of Barrett's MRAD rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykglRtlfOcA

It seems to be an improvement in the 98B platform with folding stock and quick caliber conversion. There are other new features that make it a worthy contender for other systems in its class from Remington, DTA, etc.

montrala
11-12-10, 09:33
Since nothing came up on a forum search, I thought that I'd post this video of Barrett's MRAD rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykglRtlfOcA

It seems to be an improvement in the 98B platform with folding stock and quick caliber conversion. There are other new features that make it a worthy contender for other systems in its class from Remington, DTA, etc.

I was looking trought this vid few days ago. And some questions striked me. Maybe someone can educate me on that. I'm just civi from other side of the pond, who likes to put few shots from precision rifle from time to time:

1. Why is "on the fly" stock length and cheek adjustability so important? I tough that precision shooter just sets stock to him and keeps it that way.

2. Why is "operator level" calibre (barrel and bolt) change so important? Do they carry 3 different barrel/bolt sets and 3 ammo supplies, plus 3 optics (zeroed for each caliber?) all the time.

3. Basically what exactly it does that, for example, Sako TRG with folding stock can't do? (OK... Sako can't do side and bottom rails... not easy at least...)?

I'm just trying to understand.

long-shot
11-12-10, 10:06
I was looking trought this vid few days ago. And some questions striked me. Maybe someone can educate me on that. I'm just civi from other side of the pond, who likes to put few shots from precision rifle from time to time:

1. Why is "on the fly" stock length and cheek adjustability so important? I tough that precision shooter just sets stock to him and keeps it that way.

2. Why is "operator level" calibre (barrel and bolt) change so important? Do they carry 3 different barrel/bolt sets and 3 ammo supplies, plus 3 optics (zeroed for each caliber?) all the time.

3. Basically what exactly it does that, for example, Sako TRG with folding stock can't do? (OK... Sako can't do side and bottom rails... not easy at least...)?

Unbelievably good questions! This was developed to compete with the AI AX and several others including the monstrosity from Remington for the recent sniper rifle quote for the armed forces. I'm afraid the marketing directors had more to do with these rifles than the armors or marksmen themselves.

I think the AI AW, AI AE, or Sako TRG series should be the only answer to forces suppling off the shelf units with factory support and service. Just my opinion though.

Thomas M-4
11-12-10, 10:34

1 The cheek piece was thumb screw adj :rolleyes: No biggy most cheek prices are thumb wheel. The butt stock length is push button I would rather it be a good push button than having to add spacers so whats not to like ?

2 . The barrel change would have to be a most have with me in 300 win mag if the barrel only last 1500 rounds .338 less so I think they give it a 3500 round barrel life and the .308 normally goes 5-8k

3 The 98 bravo has a 10 round capacity the TRG has 5

montrala
11-12-10, 15:20
1 The cheek piece was thumb screw adj :rolleyes: No biggy most cheek prices are thumb wheel. The butt stock length is push button I would rather it be a good push button than having to add spacers so whats not to like ?

2 . The barrel change would have to be a most have with me in 300 win mag if the barrel only last 1500 rounds .338 less so I think they give it a 3500 round barrel life and the .308 normally goes 5-8k

3 The 98 bravo has a 10 round capacity the TRG has 5

1. Ok, easier, but what revolutionary then that let's say LRS2 or SSG08?

2. But "operator level"? Do you expect to shoot out barrel on one deployment of sniper team? Would they carry spare barrels like MG crew do?

3. 10 round capacity in .338? Great but this is only "size of mag", not technical revolution. Also I was under impression that bolt action precision rifles are not used to deliver high volume of fire*, for this rather semi-auto counterparts excel and there magazine capacity if more important.

I'm trying to really understand that there only 101% of marketing and "creating demand" or there is real world need. What was really missing for me in this promo vid (maybe I just did not listen carefully enought), they did not found it worth mentioning if this rifle is "precision"... :sarcastic:

* Polish army adopted TRG-22 in role of both precision rifle and DMR (it replaced SWD and SWD-M). Some combat situation in Iraq, where single TRG shooter covered whole squad(s) with high volume of precision fire, instead of make brass rethink and provide semi-autos for this role made them even more fond of bolt actions. Now we have our own production bolt actions (bulpups Bor in 7.62x51 and Tor in 12.7x99) go into service and nothing to replace SWD for guys in A-stan. Good example of stupid decisions... :sad:

Thomas M-4
11-12-10, 16:12
1. Ok, easier, but what revolutionary then that let's say LRS2 or SSG08?

2. But "operator level"? Do you expect to shoot out barrel on one deployment of sniper team? Would they carry spare barrels like MG crew do?

3. 10 round capacity in .338? Great but this is only "size of mag", not technical revolution. Also I was under impression that bolt action precision rifles are not used to deliver high volume of fire*, for this rather semi-auto counterparts excel and there magazine capacity if more important.

I'm trying to really understand that there only 101% of marketing and "creating demand" or there is real world need. What was really missing for me in this promo vid (maybe I just did not listen carefully enought), they did not found it worth mentioning if this rifle is "precision"... :sarcastic:

* Polish army adopted TRG-22 in role of both precision rifle and DMR (it replaced SWD and SWD-M). Some combat situation in Iraq, where single TRG shooter covered whole squad(s) with high volume of precision fire, instead of make brass rethink and provide semi-autos for this role made them even more fond of bolt actions. Now we have our own production bolt actions (bulpups Bor in 7.62x51 and Tor in 12.7x99) go into service and nothing to replace SWD for guys in A-stan. Good example of stupid decisions... :sad:

They also have 20" and 27" barrels. They will change caliber and barrel length depending on the mission.
Has far as I know witch ant far :sarcastic: The US military hasn't adopted the .338 Lapua for some assassin reason they keep looking at .300 win mag :sad:I would think you would do the barrel change at the base?

For a civilians Having a quick change barrel you can get some practice in with .308 But I am hoping that the barrel extensions become available then you could try barrels with different twist rates and or land and groves.