PDA

View Full Version : M4 Cleaning Kit.............?

xXxplosive
11-12-10, 20:53
Need to purchase a new cleaning kit for my M4......suggestions please.
Want something that will last.
Thanks

devildogljb
11-12-10, 21:08
i use the otis cleaning system and i love it. Small has every thing in it youll need. I attach it right onto my rifle range bag.
http://www.otisgun.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=96CA202AEBF341CFBC7FC63BA3A22117

Victory
11-13-10, 03:02
I use the Otis kit, as well.

But don't pay MSRP for them. They over price them by quite a bit.

They're much cheaper on eBay.

-Vic

RancidSumo
11-13-10, 03:55
I just use an old .22 cal rod I had with some patches and Hoppes #9 for the barrel. Then its just various Slip 2000 products with an old toothbrush and q-tips for anything else. Then again I don't break this crap out very often, if I cleaned it more often than I do I might pick up an actual kit.

jetspeed8
11-13-10, 05:48
I just picked up one from Cheaperthandirt at a very reasonable price.

Frens
11-13-10, 06:08

-Vic

+1

OTIS cleaning kits are nice!
if you dont like the cleaning cord just add some USGI rods to your gear ;)

xXxplosive
11-13-10, 07:59
Thanks so much for the help.
I'll check out Otis.......

Iraq Ninja
11-13-10, 08:09
I feel the Otis is only good for admin cleaning and civilian use. I personally stopped using them in the field a long time ago.

The problem with the Otis kits are the multiple small parts. If you loose some of them, you are screwed. Try cleaning your weapon in the dark with one when you are tired.

Bore snakes and tooth brushes are much better in the field, and I prefer the British military cleaning patches to ours.

markm
11-13-10, 08:56
The 24" Dewey one piece cleaning rod is a good starting point. I like the Kleanbore brushes by Safariland. I cut my one patches out of old T-shirts... large patches to pull through the barrel.

Also.. lots of q-tips, CLP, and a dental tool for getting into corners. I like to dedicate a short cleaning rod to my chamber brush.

There really isn't a GOOD assembled cleaning kit you can just buy and be done with.

Iraqgunz
11-13-10, 13:29
I use a Dewey rod and a regular G.I cleaning kit for those occasions when I feel like cleaning. Been working good for all these years.

Redhat
11-13-10, 13:38
For home use I have a Dewey rod and bore guide. For away from home use, I use the GI kit and a bore snake. This is for the issue M4 or my personal 16" civvie carbine. I like to have pipe cleaners too for the firing pin channel.

About all I like from the Otis kit is the pull-through, brush and eyelet. all those other little parts are too hard to keep up with in the field.

Heidevolk
11-13-10, 13:42
For those of you that use Slip 2000 to lube, what do you use to clean?

Boltgun
11-13-10, 13:54
725 cleaner degreaser

Boltgun

Iraqgunz
11-13-10, 13:57
A rag and toothbrush. Unless I am doing one of those anal retentive clean jobs in which case I bust out the Mpro7.

For those of you that use Slip 2000 to lube, what do you use to clean?

masakari
11-13-10, 15:22
Bore snake
Tooth brush
Old t-shirt X2
Box of Q Tips
Spray bottle of your lube of choice
Maybe a samson field survivor tool in the pistol grip

-Joe

jumbopanda
11-13-10, 19:25
Another +1 for the Otis kit.

markm
11-13-10, 19:33
Otis is the drunk from Mayberry... not an acceptable cleaning kit. :mad:

EchoMirage
11-13-10, 19:57
lets say red dawn happens and youre out away from base and need to clean your AR.....id use a basic USGI issue kit, either buttstock or ALICE pouch variety, with the rods, patch end, and chamber brush.

dont forget the OTIS kit is good at cleaning the barrel, but thats about it. and the barrel is the last thing you need to worry about when cleaning in the field.

ive also pieced together a kit that included a chopped toothbrush, patches, can for oil and squeeze bottle for solvent from a 3-pack of german issue cleaning kits, from cheaperthendirt. comes rolled up in a pouch type holder, and the kit is in a nice metal container, like a mini-cigar holder. the clicker-can is good for oil, as it has a long tube for applications, and they have a clear plastic squeeze bottle thats good for any kind of solvent. the rest of the tin holds more patches, chopped toothbrush, and one of the 'tools' that came with the kits, like a combination punch/flathead screwdriver.

for home, i have a small tacklebox type kit i bought from somewhere. i assembled a complete set of everything needed from years of gathering and old kits. it has a .22 sized 4 piece brass rod, every end you can think of, bore brushes, swabs, mops, etc.

if youre just starting out, buy a basic cleaning kit off the shelf, and go from there. youll add the things you need, and take out the things you dont as you go along.

DaBears_85
11-14-10, 01:03

-Vic

MRSP for the Otis is $153?! Damn, and I thought I got fleeced by the PX at Ft. Benning when I payed 70 some odd bucks for one.

I like mine so so. It's a nice compact cleaning kit, but you definitely need to get a boresnake to accompany it. That and some of those little foam star-chamber cleaner inserts. I forget their exact name.

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 01:15
I would never pay that much for a cleaning kit. I think they sell good to those that still believe that the AR must be spotless in order to work.

devildogljb
11-14-10, 01:17
ebay is your friend, i bought mine for 30 dollars

Dionysusigma
11-14-10, 05:26
How well do the Samson Field Survivor tools work? Are they useful, or merely gimmicky?

DaBears_85
11-14-10, 06:17
How well do the Samson Field Survivor tools work? Are they useful, or merely gimmicky?

I'm curious to hear about people's experiences with these as well. Honestly, the only thing I could ever see myself using is the broken-shell extractor. So to me it just seems like it'd end up being extra weight. Like I said though, I don't have any experience with them so it's purely speculation on my part.

SA80Dan
11-14-10, 06:54
I kinda use a bit of a hybrid mix of stuff - I love the Otis patches and pullthroughs, also like it for being compact. But.....sometimes its just very handy to have a rod, and good size brushes. So for my home kit, I have a mix of Otis and a run of the mill Remington/Hoppes type kit.

But, as someone else pointed out.....for my 'field' kit (i.e. in my range bag), I have a USGI kit with the rods. Its compact enough, and should you ever get a stuck case, you'd be glad you have the real rods in there. Its also no effort to throw a spare Otis pullthrough in there too for the best of both worlds.

tsmith247
11-14-10, 11:51
+1 for Otis, that's what I use