PDA

View Full Version : BCM 14.5 v 16 length

Fuzzy-Reticle
11-13-10, 12:08
Planning on getting another BCM middy upper soon. I have started to give some serious thought to getting a 14.5" barrel with a perm attached FS instead of a 16" bbl.

Any advantage or disadvantage to getting the 14.5 over the 16 other than if i ever wanted to remove the FSB? Do the 14.5 handle any better or worse than the 16?

Stickman
11-13-10, 12:12
The 14.5 handles much better, but if you are shooting from a bench all the time, its not something you would really notice.

DHart
11-14-10, 17:16
Planning on getting another BCM middy upper soon. I have started to give some serious thought to getting a 14.5" barrel with a perm attached FS instead of a 16" bbl.

Any advantage or disadvantage to getting the 14.5 over the 16 other than if i ever wanted to remove the FSB? Do the 14.5 handle any better or worse than the 16?

fuzzy... I agree with Stick.

I have both BCM middy 14.5 w/perm BC1.5 comp and BCM middy LW16. Both w/11" Troy/VTAC Extreme hand guards. They're identical uppers except for the barrels. There is only a 1" difference in OAL and they weigh the same.

Yes, I do like the 14.5 better. It shoots so softly and wonderfully I couldnt be happier with it. The difference in shooting is minor and the difference in handling is small, but I still prefer the 14.5 because it's just a tad shorter, handles just a tad better, and muzzle control is just a tad better. All just a bunch of "tads", but that's enough to form a slight preference for a weapon which I intend for home defense application first and foremost. Would the LW16" serve nearly as well? Yes, of course.

I'm fine with the knowledge that the permed BC1.5 prevents me from making easy/cheap changes to the upper because I'm happy with the setup and will likely remain so for the forseeable future. If the day comes when I want a different MD, I'll either destroy the current one and replace it, or just sell the upper and get another. To me the cost of doing so is a minor part of the cost of owning and shooting ARs. Not a huge deal.

If you want maximum versatility of modifications for lowest cost, I would go with the LW16 middy. However, I happen to have a slight preference for the 14.5 middy with BC1.5. (My LW16 middy sees a lot less "action" than my 14.5 middy, but I'm very happy to have it as a back up option. ;) )

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCM145_7966.jpg

9DivDoc
11-14-10, 17:35
The BCM 14.5 light wt with a perm attached fh or comp is the way to go...it simply balances better and handles better...

If you want a custom option get the BCM 16" light wt send it to ADCO
have them put a low pro gas block where the middie fsb is currently located and put your
fsb out to the rifle length position.

Then you can use the Magpul rifle length MOE
handguards when they come out...while your at it have them cut it off
at 14.7" and use a regular length comp....like a BC 1.0 for example
have ADCO permanently attached that.

I'm thinking this is my next project:)

milosz
11-14-10, 17:57
Weighed this on a DD upper rather than BCM. After reading as much as I could here, I went 16. The 1.5" advantage in handling was offset by the ability to easily change flash hiders or comps in the future for me.

usmcvet
11-14-10, 18:22
I had both BCM's I sold the 16" over the summer when I got sick and needed the money more than a fourth AR. The 16" will be cheaper to buy and own. The 14" fits in tight spots better. It is silly but I miss the 16" because I could snap my bayonet on it. I had to mail my upper out to have the FH permanently attached. If you go that route it makes sense to buy the gun with the FH permanently attached. It will save you time and money.

DHart
11-14-10, 18:30
9divdoc... Nice new project idea! I like it.