PDA

View Full Version : Are there any good 'concealable' options for carrying a mag?

maximus83
11-13-10, 17:06
For CCW, I've always carried my extra mags 1 of 2 ways: in the pocket, or in a Galco double mag carrier attached to my belt, weak side. Obviously the mag carrier is not that concealable, and the pocket carry has its drawbacks.

I've noticed 2 other common ways to make mags a bit more concealed: horizontal carry, and IWB.

Do either of these alternate methods work, or will they have enough drawbacks that I'd be better off to stick with standard mag carrier?

kmrtnsn
11-13-10, 17:16
What are you CCW'ing? How many mags?

maximus83
11-13-10, 17:56
M&P 9, 2 mags in the carrier.

ehcarl2983
11-13-10, 18:05
I've played around with a variety of mag carriers and was for the most part somewhat disappointed with the concealability of them, as a result I moved to the pocket carry until i got an RCS single mag carrier. This mag carrier is held much closer to the body than previous others I have tried. I would definitely give them a try.

kmrtnsn
11-13-10, 18:22
I'm not going to go into what is an appropriate amount of rounds for carry. I will say that there are trade offs and everyone has their own ideas. Do I personally see a need to CCW (with my own emphasis on "conceal") a full size pistol with a 52 round count? No, but that is me. You may live in a higher threat area than I do; I don't know. Lately I have been on a minimalist kick when off duty, that is usually a 5 shot .357 snubby with a 6 round speed strip in a pocket. I can carry all day in shorts and a t-shirt and nothing can be seen. At work I generally carry a P2000SK .40S&W in an IWB with a single extra mag on my ankle, again, jeans and a t-shirt and no one knows I am packing. Is what you want to carry truly concealable? With how much effort? Is your M&P holster IWB? Adding a double mag IWB in addition may increase the size of the pants you'll be wearing a waist size or two. Comfort is a consideration when CCW'ing all day, as is concealment. You may want to reconsider what you want to accomplish, your needs, and your equipment.

JHC
11-13-10, 18:34
until i got an RCS single mag carrier. This mag carrier is held much closer to the body than previous others I have tried. I would definitely give them a try.

That's the Raven right? My son has their holster and single mag carrier and I'd say that mag carrier is vastly superior to any I've ever seen for concealed carry of a double stack magazine. Rides very flat to the body.

maximus83
11-13-10, 18:40
Is this the RCS carrier you're talking about?

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?products_id=1582

vigilant2
11-13-10, 18:44
I've been using this lately with no problems very comfortable,
only person to question me was a co-worker when I wore it
shirt tucked in. He thought it was a pocket knife sheath.
I use it to hold my spare glock 19 mag.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/378_Magazine+Holsters/7259_Horizontal+Magazine+Holster/?return=%3ftpl%3Dindex%26category_id%3D378%26%26%26page%3D2%26nothumbs%3D%26filter_1%3D%26filter_2%3D%26filter_3%3D%26filter_4%3D

friendlyfireisnt
11-13-10, 18:48
I've always used a knife or leatherman pouch to carry a spare mag, since lots of people carry cool-guy tools. Hidden in plain sight. ;)

skyugo
11-13-10, 20:22
i put a mag in my left front pocket. it works.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-10, 00:46
I like the RCS mag holder and then I add the small triangles to the corners for pocket carry. Just do my HK P7 mag this way right now, actually put it in my jeans back pocket. Wife never caught it. The mag holder makes it look like a wallet, and the triangles held it in place in all the drills I ran.

For double stack mags, that may be a little thick. I was thinking about making some Kydex that fit the bottom of my front pocked and kept a mag indexed and orientated. Maybe even add a spot for a flashlight.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-10, 00:49
i put a mag in my left front pocket. it works.

I was doing this until I had a random piece of plastic from some wrapper end up jammed between the first round and the mag lips. Took more to get it out than I thought. I don't have the discipline (and two kids who hand me all kinds of stuff) to keep my pockets FOD free.

skyugo
11-14-10, 01:02
I was doing this until I had a random piece of plastic from some wrapper end up jammed between the first round and the mag lips. Took more to get it out than I thought. I don't have the discipline (and two kids who hand me all kinds of stuff) to keep my pockets FOD free.

I've tested my glock 19 with a gum wrapper. no jams :o

i DO keep this pocket FOD free though honestly.

and i shoot ISPC matches from the pocket.

Tomac
11-14-10, 07:03
I use a Galco leather pocket carrier for my spare CCW mag:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/RotationofResizeofSWMP9Compacts002.jpg
Tomac

ehcarl2983
11-14-10, 11:23
Is this the RCS carrier you're talking about?

http://www.themalabarfront.com/product_info.php?products_id=1582

Yes, I got mine with the MD cut.

Steve S.
11-14-10, 17:21
I actually carry my spare mag IWB. I may be the odd one out on that but its very comfortable and hidden. I just ordered a set of the IWB clips from PSS. The loops work too - tried them before.

JHC
11-14-10, 18:18
Yes, I got mine with the MD cut.

LOL, I forgot that was you! Sorry. :D

Lucky Strike
11-14-10, 19:56
My buddy got one of these IWB mag holders from Comp Tac.......he really likes it.

http://www.comp-tac.com/images/Minotaur-Concealment-Pouch.jpg

durus5995
11-16-10, 03:04
I would completely advise against pocket carrying magazines by themselves if you trust your life to them. I had a staple from when I went to the range that found its way into my magazine and if I didn't screw up the press check and ejected the top round and then found the jam when I went to load back up again to find the jam I could of had a very bad day if I needed my gun. Perhaps a pocket holster for a mag would help.

As far as a OWB carrier I echo the sentiments about the raven set up. I have a double and it is by far the slimiest carrier that I have handled in my brief time I have had my CPL.

DireWulf
11-16-10, 10:34
My buddy got one of these IWB mag holders from Comp Tac.......he really likes it.

http://www.comp-tac.com/images/Minotaur-Concealment-Pouch.jpg

I have this and I swear by it. Combine it with an MTAC holster and you have a very effective and comfortable concealment system. Wish I had an MTAC 20 years ago. The advancements in gear over the last ten years have been spectacular.

VolGrad
11-16-10, 19:20
I use a horizontal single pouch made by Dale Fricke. I find it to be the most comfy and easiest to conceal of anything I've used.

BadgerMan
11-16-10, 22:02
Not sure how your mag pouch attaches, but I've found that mag pouches that have slot type loops out to the sides of the mags rather than loops on the back conform to your hip and body better. I use a Des Biens 2 mag carrier for M&P 357/40 mags and I can hide them under a T-shirt. I'm not talking a super loose shirt either, as long as it isn't skin tight I haven't had any trouble.

TehLlama
11-17-10, 00:09
I just wound up OWBing an RCS Dual carrier for my 1911, but that MTAC is making me reconsider.

DireWulf
11-17-10, 00:16
I just wound up OWBing an RCS Dual carrier for my 1911, but that MTAC is making me reconsider.

Try it. I carry a G30 mag in mine and have no issues. 1911 mags with their slim profile are probably the cat's ass in that thing.

98z28
11-17-10, 20:49
This thread reminded me that I want to give one of these a try: http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_30. I use an RCS double mag carrier and it works better than any other OWB option I have tried. Never tried to carry a mag IWB. Figure it's worth a shot.

M4Fundi
11-17-10, 21:49
I use Milt Sparks mag pouches and they work fine. I tried IWB mag pouches and it was miserable for me. I could see going IWB single stack mag, but a double stack IWB was too thick and narrow creating a pressure point issue.

VolGrad
11-18-10, 06:45
This thread reminded me that I want to give one of these a try: http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_30. I use an RCS double mag carrier and it works better than any other OWB option I have tried. Never tried to carry a mag IWB. Figure it's worth a shot.

I tried IWB pouches a while back and found them quite uncomfortable. I guess it was just the added pressure of having something IWB on both sides of my body that made me feel like a stuffed sausage.

Not sure about the one you linked above but I do have a OWB dbl pouch from ALHC and am quite happy with it. I was less than happy with the holsters but the pouch is quite good. It holds snug to the body.

Alex F
11-18-10, 12:53
I hate IWB magazine carriers now. I carry OWB, weak side, with the carrier BEHIND a vertical cell phone holster. It takes a VERY sharp eye to see a single mag carrier behind a cell phone holster and realize what it is.

dojpros
11-18-10, 15:53
I have an Alabama Holster Company IWB pouch. Coupled with AIWB, it does take concealmet re a full sized gun to a whole new level for me. ( 6'2'', 210 ish, 36 waist/ 44/46L coat).

Having said that, it is not as comfortable as the OWB CCC basic mag carrier. However, I am more than willing to trade some comfort for concealment at the appropriate time. When used with a Shaggy AIWB and any "true" sized xl garment, the platform disappears completely so long as I stand up straight.

I carry too much crap to carry a mag in my pocket and lose that space .

YMMV

mikee1973
11-19-10, 08:39
i have single kydex carries but have 2 so i have the option to carry one or 2 spares with me depending on my mood or where i am going. The horizontal ones make sense but havent found one with an open top that would retain the mag well. I also like the option to carry FS or Compact M&P mags.

jmcrawf1
11-19-10, 09:22
RCS makes a very close to the body mag holder. Under an untucked shirt it's very concealable.