PDA

View Full Version : Should I swap lowers?

bobafett
11-13-10, 18:20
I took a Spikes Lower and built a pistol out of it. I had planned to 'SBR' it in the future.

I just the other day purchased another Lower this time "Surplus Arms & Ammo" brand. While shopping for an upper I find I'm leaning towards a Spikes Upper.

Would you switch the SAA lower with the pistol buffer extension and mate the Spikes Upper to the Spikes Lower?

Yes it makes more sense, but if I choose to SBR one of my lowers I'd think the Spikes would be best, or does it really matter?

usmcvet
11-13-10, 22:04
Make sure you get some rounds through whichever lowers you choose to use to make sure everything works. Use the lower you want it is your gun, as long as you have a properly made lower you will be good to go. I would say go with what makes you happy.

MistWolf
11-14-10, 01:27
Which lower was sold as a pistol? It's illegal to make a pistol out of a rifle

bobafett
11-14-10, 01:33
Which lower was sold as a pistol? It's illegal to make a pistol out of a rifle

They were both bought as stripped lowers

MistWolf
11-14-10, 04:19
Well there you go. I just learned that certain receivers such as Ar receivers can only be sold to those 21 or older as they may be assembled as handguns. Since the Spikes was originally assembled as a handgun, it doesn't matter

polymorpheous
11-21-10, 15:44
Well there you go. I just learned that certain receivers such as Ar receivers can only be sold to those 21 or older as they may be assembled as handguns. Since the Spikes was originally assembled as a handgun, it doesn't matter

I'm pretty sure this is not true.
A stripper AR lower is in the "other" category.
If the handgun thing applied I would have to have a background check and a 48 hour wait in my state.

usmcvet
11-21-10, 16:30
I'm pretty sure this is not true.
A stripper AR lower is in the "other" category.
If the handgun thing applied I would have to have a background check and a 48 hour wait in my state.

It must have something to do with the way they're registered by certain companies when they're made. I know the S&W does not have a caliber engraved on the lower. Im not sure if that is why. Probably not. You need to be 21 to buy the stripped lower.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=312000

polymorpheous
11-21-10, 16:42
I've had lower marked "multi" where I didn't have to do any addition handgun background checks or waiting period.

bobafett
11-21-10, 18:28
At least in Virginia, I don't know the other state laws, I am legal to build my stripped frame as a pistol if I want. The only thing is to make sure the FFL did not label the stripped receiver as a rifle when I bought it (did the transfer).

BTW, I'm leaving my Spikes lower as a pistol and am completing the SAA receiver as a rifle.

Since I didn't buy a Spikes Upper I'm not bothering with the switch.

polymorpheous
11-21-10, 18:55
What upper did you buy?

bobafett
11-21-10, 20:19
DD 14.5 Carbine Upper w/pinned flash hider

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseURG.aspx

polymorpheous
11-21-10, 20:41
DD 14.5 Carbine Upper w/pinned flash hider

http://www.smartgunner.com/DanielDefenseURG.aspx

Nice!
Got me one of them.
Nice and light with an Omega rail installed.

rhevans
11-21-10, 21:37
My Spikes lower has the word "pistol" engraved on the mag well under the serial number. Does that make it a legal pistol?

CoryCop25
11-21-10, 21:44
In my state, PA, the law keeps changing. If you purchase a pistol, you have to fill out a second form. They used to make you fill these out for receivers but that has changed since people were complaining that they could not SBR a pistol lower. My advice is to only make a pistol out of a lower that is marked pistol. There are many companies that offer a pistol marked lower.