PDA

View Full Version : Korean Mag for Glock 17 & 19

platoonDaddy
11-13-10, 18:56
Dang, what a pleasant surprise when I opened up the package today and checked out my recent purchase from CDNN. These magazines are great (of course I haven't test fired them) and only $5.99 each. The visual quality and spring tension is beyond anything I expected for $5.99.

They are also drop free and have been bouncing them off the floor and no visual dents.

Again thanks to the members of this "forum" who recommended them.

Heavy Metal
11-13-10, 19:11
Field strip them, take a sharp knife and remove the mold flashing aka sprue, at the top of the mag in and around the cut out notch for the slide lock and lightly oil the spring as it is carbon steel and not stainless like in a factory mag.

Use a Glock mag loader to work the cartridge column up and down when you have them loaded to capacity to help smooth out the moulding inside the mag and make it much easier to load the next time. The first time will be a real bitch! I recommend downloading all Glock mags by one no matter who makes them, has a great positive effect on spring life and helps with tac loads.

But yeah, for a little work and $5.99, they make good training mags and let me save my good Glock mags.

D. Christopher
11-13-10, 20:04
Those mags are great for training because they don't work reliably and you'll get all kinds of practice with malfunction drills and remedial action exercises. Don't trust them with your life though!

Heavy Metal
11-13-10, 20:24
Those mags are great for training because they don't work reliably and you'll get all kinds of practice with malfunction drills and remedial action exercises. Don't trust them with your life though!

I have shot 20 of them to slide lock with zero malfunctions.

Cut the sprue and work the mags like I described and you will have no problems.

D. Christopher
11-13-10, 22:37
I have shot 20 of them to slide lock with zero malfunctions.

Cut the sprue and work the mags like I described and you will have no problems.

Sounds like a real thorough test. I don't have any problems because I use high quality, well maintained gear with OEM mags. I don't need to save a few bucks on the single largest failure point on semi auto pistols. I buy in bulk and my last purchase of 40 G19 mags cost me $11.00 per mag. For me personally that's quite a bargain. To each their own though.

Heavy Metal
11-13-10, 23:11
Sounds like a real thorough test. I don't have any problems because I use high quality, well maintained gear with OEM mags. I don't need to save a few bucks on the single largest failure point on semi auto pistols. I buy in bulk and my last purchase of 40 G19 mags cost me $11.00 per mag. For me personally that's quite a bargain. To each their own though.

That's 320 rounds with zero failures @ 16 rounds per mag. You do the math.

I have about 50 OEM G17 mags and about 5 G-19 mags(I can't seen any purpose for a G-19 mag other than the one in the gun when you carry it, I carry a G-17 mag for the reload mag and it has the advantage of also being able to fit a, get this, G-17.

These magazines are for training purposes until they throughly prove themselves.

Like I said, if you deal with the sprue, you won't have an issue.

I don't know what your definiton of through is but if there was some endemic failing with these magazines, I think it would have shown itself in with at least one malfunction by now in that many rounds.

And I do know something about how to test and maintain magazines as several members, mods and site staff on this very forum I have trained with can attest. If they were utter garbage, I would know that by now and be saying exactly so.

I am not advocating one purchase these to avoid getting factory mags but simply to suppliment them for training purposes. I would much rather lose one of these in the hayfield on my buddies farm doing SOTM drills than a $20 G-17 magazine. Better the brush hog get it instead of Austrian prime rib.

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 00:51
I have seen malfunctions with them as well when I was in Baghdad. There are other members here who purchased them and they also had various failures. I would use them for training and that's it.

But, I also won't purchase knock off crap. And that includes mags. With the exception of the M14 mags that were produced in Taiwan. They actually work really good.

That's 320 rounds with zero failures @ 16 rounds per mag. You do the math.

I have about 50 OEM G17 mags and about 5 G-19 mags(I can't seen any purpose for a G-19 mag other than the one in the gun when you carry it, I carry a G-17 mag for the reload mag and it has the advantage of also being able to fit a, get this, G-17.

These magazines are for training purposes until they throughly prove themselves.

Like I said, if you deal with the sprue, you won't have an issue.

I don't know what your definiton of through is but if there was some endemic failing with these magazines, I think it would have shown itself in with at least one malfunction by now in that many rounds.

And I do know something about how to test and maintain magazines as several members, mods and site staff on this very forum I have trained with can attest. If they were utter garbage, I would know that by now and be saying exactly so.

I am not advocating one purchase these to avoid getting factory mags but simply to suppliment them for training purposes. I would much rather lose one of these in the hayfield on my buddies farm doing SOTM drills than a $20 G-17 magazine. Better the brush hog get it instead of Austrian prime rib.

ThirdWatcher
11-14-10, 07:22
But, I also won't purchase knock off crap. And that includes mags.

I agree, and Glock mags are available and inexpensive... why waste your money on something you wouldn't take into battle?

EzGoingKev
11-14-10, 09:48
Some of us live behind enemy lines and do not have the luxury of just buying new mags. Legally I have to use old "U" style mags so I would like to keep them just for personal defense.

I bought (4) Korean mags to use as range mags to keep the wear and tear down on my genuine antique Glock mags. I am either going to swap out the black base plates with orange training ones and store them separately so they do not get mixed up with my other ones.

Heavy Metal
11-14-10, 09:59
I agree, and Glock mags are available and inexpensive... why waste your money on something you wouldn't take into battle?

Because I can buy three of these for a single glock mag and I train a lot. At a certain point, the economics make sense.

Slater
11-14-10, 10:18
Bought these a while back to use as training mags. Don't shoot my Glock 17 very often, so I haven't had the chance to try them out. As I recall, all four mags (and the el cheapo pouches) were something like $20 shipped from Cheaper Than Dirt at the time. The brand on these is KCI.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/001-2.jpg

platoonDaddy
03-09-11, 18:18
update on my Nov 2010 post on Korean G17 & G19 magazines from CDNN:

Since that time I used the 19's mags in my G19OD & G26OD - 2K or more rounds down range without any issue.

Dang, $6 per magazine one can't beat the price of these training magazines.

Caeser25
03-09-11, 20:41
I have yet to have a feeding issue. Some don't lock the slide back and some don't drop free but they are training mags and marked as such.

kaltesherz
03-10-11, 15:13
I've been using these in my Glock 19 exclusively for target use and training and have had absolutely to malfunctions of any sort for over a year and probably close to 2,000 rounds. I also usually keep them loaded as well. While I STILL wouldn't use these for social purposes I think they're perfect for training.

skyugo
03-10-11, 15:31
i have 2 of the KCI branded ones.
the floorplates are about to blow off due to cracks. i've dropped them empty from the gun maybe a dozen times each.
Maybe wtih factory glock floorplates they'd be ok? :confused:

EzGoingKev
04-27-11, 06:05
They are also drop free and have been bouncing them off the floor and no visual dents.

Mine do not drop free but I am using them in a Gen 1 pistol.

I fired mine right out of the packages to see how they would perform. I found they would not consistently lock the slide back and were hard to load when nearing capacity.

I took them apart and cleaned up the swarf in them. For a while they would intermittently fail to lock the slide back, but the more I use them they seem to be getting better.

Again, I only use these for the range.

jwperry
04-27-11, 06:31
i have 2 of the KCI branded ones.
the floorplates are about to blow off due to cracks. i've dropped them empty from the gun maybe a dozen times each.
Maybe wtih factory glock floorplates they'd be ok? :confused:

Sounds like a good reason to add the Glock +2 extensions.

TwoSqueeze
04-27-11, 07:19
One of the guys in my IDPA league on Monday night was running the KCI Glock mags and had a floor plate fly off when he dumped a mag on reload. It broke the floor plate and was not serviceable after that. I personally would not invest in them seeing as how the body and floor plate on the OEM mags lasts a damn long time and the springs are cheap.

Cheers,
-TS

M4arc
04-27-11, 07:37

This was my experience with them. ^^^^