PDA

View Full Version : Rob S- In Living Color

Pat_Rogers
08-03-07, 14:18
Yes, Rob S, the Florida fashion plate himself is a 1/2 page subject in the September issue of SWAT (Pg 84), Pre Training Equipment Issues.

:rolleyes: :( :o :eek: :rolleyes: :p

rob_s
08-03-07, 14:19
I can only assume that this is my 1911 holstered with no magazine?:D

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 14:46
Oh dear Lord. His head will soon have "Goodyear" stenciled across the side.

rob_s
08-03-07, 14:48
Oh dear Lord. His head will soon have "Goodyear" stenciled across the side.

I somehow doubt this particular picture is one to be terribly proud of.

Pat_Rogers
08-03-07, 14:50
"I can only assume...."

No Rob, i wouldn't do that to you - but only because that wasn't the focus of this story.
Maybe next time though.....:p

"His head will have "Goodyear"....."

No, while it isn't a humiliating image, it....:eek:
Nah, i won't get any further into it. :rolleyes:
Should be in subscribers hands in a few days, and on the stands in 2 weeks.

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 14:52
Doesnt matter. Your in SWAT. And in a Pat Rogers article no less.
I swear, if I start seeing neon colored golf visors listed at my favorite geardo websites, I'm coming down there with a HUGE nerf bat.

Jay Cunningham
08-03-07, 14:54
I can only assume that this is my 1911 holstered with no magazine?:D

Would you attribute this to gaming experience?

p.s. no I am not trying to bust your balls with that question...

rob_s
08-03-07, 15:01
Would you attribute this to gaming experience?

p.s. no I am not trying to bust your balls with that question...

Actually, no. I would attribute it to not listening and paying attention.

We were instructed to "load 'em up" or "load and make ready" and I just didn't load my pistol because I wasn't specifically told to. Evidently, 10 minutes earlier, we HAD been told to load both guns when instructed to "load 'em up" but my head was firmly up my ass at that time.

How on earth I got the goodyear blimp up my ass I can't tell you.:p

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 15:04

We were instructed to "load 'em up" or "load and make ready" and I just didn't load my pistol because I wasn't specifically told to. Evidently, 10 minutes earlier, we HAD been told to load both guns when instructed to "load 'em up" but my head was firmly up my ass at that time.

Pat.... were you missing any tubes of vagisil in this class???

:eek:

:p

Pat_Rogers
08-03-07, 15:07
I swear, if I start seeing neon colored gold visors listed at my favorite geardo websites, I'm coming down there with a HUGE nerf bat.

Oh boy......:rolleyes:

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 15:10
Oh boy......:rolleyes:

Its only a nerf bat... ;)

Ok, scratch the nerf bat. I'll just go down and swipe the visor and replace it with a multicam boonie. :cool:

Jay Cunningham
08-03-07, 20:17

Roger that.

DrMark
08-03-07, 23:37
An article on tactical headgear! Excellent!

;)

Seriously, though... looking forward to it.

Should be in subscribers hands in a few days...
USPS usually seems to deal me a short straw re: delivery of my magazines. I'll expect mine in a few weeks.

Pat_Rogers
08-04-07, 07:48
Incidents like what Rob was describing is the reason that we train.
We all make mistakes, and the reason why we perform certain drills in a certain way (making ready for example) is because we want to be able to do things on auto pilot- without having to think about it.

But no Rob, this wasn't meant to humilate you. This was a good illustration for the article, and showed how you and your buddie approached the same problem.

C4IGrant
08-04-07, 07:58
I swear, if I start seeing neon colored golf visors listed at my favorite geardo websites, I'm coming down there with a HUGE nerf bat.

Did you say Nerd bat??? :D

C4

C4IGrant
08-04-07, 08:02
Speaking of paying attention, at a recent class I approached a drill with my AR and didn't even have a mag in the darn thing. :rolleyes: The funny part is that I had just gotten done making fun of the instructor because he started the drill with an empty chamber.

Those of us that live in glass houses......

C4

rob_s
08-04-07, 08:41
Incidents like what Rob was describing is the reason that we train.
We all make mistakes, and the reason why we perform certain drills in a certain way (making ready for example) is because we want to be able to do things on auto pilot- without having to think about it.
I agree. I've tried to come up with a routine for the way that I load and make ready, and I use it at classes, competitions, and daily carry. Seems to work well so far (at least since the day in question :) )

Pat_Rogers
08-04-07, 08:57
And if you had not stepped on your crank on that day, would the lesson have been so ingrained?

rob_s
08-04-07, 09:46
And if you had not stepped on your crank on that day, would the lesson have been so ingrained?

Nope!

One of my first lessons with firearms safety was not following rule 4 and, after discovering what my brother and I were doing, receiving a tongue lashing and a smack on the back of the head from my uncle. Somehow that lesson sticks with me to this day as well. :D

Don Robison
08-04-07, 11:52
I agree. I've tried to come up with a routine for the way that I load and make ready, and I use it at classes, competitions, and daily carry. Seems to work well so far (at least since the day in question :) )

What I've gotten in the habit of doing is making my pistol ready first, then rifle. When I make them safe I do the pistol first then the rifle. I just found that is easy to forget when you have it holstered. That whole out of sight out of mind thing:o

Pat_Rogers
08-04-07, 17:38
We have been teaching to Protect eyes, protect ears. load pistol, CRV and top off pistol, Load carbine CRV carbine for about 12 years now. We had a SWAT article which covered this a while back.

Robb Jensen
08-04-07, 21:37
Speaking of paying attention, at a recent class I approached a drill with my AR and didn't even have a mag in the darn thing. :rolleyes: The funny part is that I had just gotten done making fun of the instructor because he started the drill with an empty chamber.

Those of us that live in glass houses......

C4

Yeah, only dish it if you can take it too!

In the short amount of time I've known you, I know that you don't mind the 180 degree critiques. ;)

You and I can laugh at ourselves, some take themselves so seriously that they would suffer from mental breakdown if they were poked fun at.

Those of use that can't make fun of ourselves need counseling.

Submariner
08-05-07, 07:01

So you reinvented the wheel? :confused:

rob_s
08-05-07, 07:22
So you reinvented the wheel? :confused:

I'm not sure I understand the question.

While I follow the sequence that Pat teaches (eyes, ears, pistol, rifle) I do each step my own way that works for me, as I would expect anyone to.

When it comes to unloading, I do gun in your hand, gun slung/holstered as I think it's better than always doing one gun first.

I guess if these constitute reinventing the wheel, then yes.:D

Buckaroo
08-05-07, 08:34
I guess I have to come out of my lurking state to ask: What does CRV mean? I am guessing Chamber Round & Verify....

Am I close?

Thanks to all of you knowledgeable folks from whom i am learning so much. I have yet to take my first carbine class but am trying to soak up as much as I can in the meantime.

Pat_Rogers
08-05-07, 08:44
Close- Chambered Round Verification.
You may want to take out a subscription to SWAT magazine. There are some pretty switched on folks who write there..

Harv
08-05-07, 11:44
Pat R

There are some pretty switched on folks who write there..

I just get it for the pictures.......;)

Hawkeye
08-05-07, 14:06
Pat R

I just get it for the pictures.......;)

Same here. Good thing they usually put the Larue ad on the back cover though. Would make it a bit harder to get through the entire mag if it were closer to the front.

C4IGrant
08-06-07, 14:28
Yeah, only dish it if you can take it too!

In the short amount of time I've known you, I know that you don't mind the 180 degree critiques. ;)

You and I can laugh at ourselves, some take themselves so seriously that they would suffer from mental breakdown if they were poked fun at.

Those of use that can't make fun of ourselves need counseling.

You gotta have thick skin to work and play in this industry. There are lot of people out there that like to dish, but don't like to receive. Its a two way street for sure.

C4

C4IGrant
08-06-07, 14:30
Ok Rob, I just got the new SWAT. How in the world did you find a shirt to match your visor????????

Your color coordination resembles something that one would find on queer eye for the straight guy. ;)

C4

rob_s
08-06-07, 14:32
Ok Rob, I just got the new SWAT. How in the world did you find a shirt to match your visor????????

Your color coordination resembles something that one would find on queer eye for the straight guy. ;)

I think it's a shirt from a local single-stack classic match I shot in.

I'm sure all will be saddened to know, the tactical-yellow-visor is currently MIA.:eek:

Should it turn out to in fact be lost, memorial services will be held, and donations of replacement visors will be accepted.:D

Hawkeye
08-06-07, 16:25
Got mine... that pic. Just not quite sure what to say about it...

:D

Congrats though Rob on getting your mug in SWAT.

Buckaroo
08-06-07, 17:46
You may want to take out a subscription to SWAT magazine. There are some pretty switched on folks who write there..

Hmmm, pastor receives SWAT mag... Should that be delivered at home or the office? :D

Bulldog1967
08-06-07, 17:57

You can say THAT again. I look forward to the no BS articles in SWAT every month.

rob_s
08-06-07, 20:41
Well, to all that were concerned with the status of the yellow visor, it surfaced this evening while cleaning out the back of the SUV. Whew.

I can't wait to see the article myself. Never was much of one for subscribing to magazines as I always liked going to the bookstore to pick up reading material and chicks. Now that I'm no longer single, I like going to the book store to pick up reading material and reminisce about picking up chicks. :(

Harv
08-06-07, 21:42
Well, to all that were concerned with the status of the yellow visor, it surfaced this evening while cleaning out the back of the SUV. Whew.

Whew... I'll sleep easier tonight now....:p

JLM
08-07-07, 01:19
I think it's a shirt from a local single-stack classic match I shot in.

I'm sure all will be saddened to know, the tactical-yellow-visor is currently MIA.:eek:

Should it turn out to in fact be lost, memorial services will be held, and donations of replacement visors will be accepted.:D

Get a hat like the dudes from DEVO wore! :D

RyanS
08-11-07, 09:55
Rob, what holster were you using? I like it.

rob_s
08-11-07, 10:02
Rob, what holster were you using? I like it.

Andrews Hybrid Saddle (http://andrewsleather.com/hyb_saddle.htm)

http://andrewsleather.com/hyb_saddle_b.jpg