PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 1-4x guys

86K5
11-14-10, 06:55
I am toying with dropping some cash on a 1-4x scope for my AR but wanted to ask if any of y'all that might be doing so with a fixed FSB have a problem with it being in the way? Or would I be better served by shaving the FSB or installing a low pro gas block? The rifle currently has an A4 flattop and a DD CHF 16 M4 1/7 5.56 bbl.

rob_s
11-14-10, 07:19
At 1x your focus will be on the target and the FSB will be a non-issue. At 4x the FSB will be beyond the focal range of the optic and will be a barely visible blur.

This assumes actual use and not tha farting around the house that usually results in "my FSB is in my way what folding sight should I get?" kinds of posts. ;)

TehLlama
11-14-10, 12:53
It feels like an issue until you shoot it. It really feels so bad that you'll want to sell the optic, or run it in a ridiculously high mount... but it's not nearly as bad when you stop looking at objects within 20ft (a lot of the fish-eye like effect is simply that your new objective point is a foot forward of your non-scope eye), and when you're focusing at longer range the FSB tends to disappear.

That said, I find it somewhat convenient when I'm able to line up the front sight on the lower post of my TR24 on slower shots - no real change, just reinforces that I'm lined up correctly behind the optic to minimize parallax.

If you're installing a rail, do what you want. The FSP version won't be a bad choice, and don't base it solely on this.

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 12:58
Rob S nailed it but just another reason for either a shaved FSB and a railed mounted front sight or a railed FSB so that a sight can be removed for those that don't like the FBB in their view at all. I know LaRue makes a slightly higher SPR mount but have not used it, it may be a mounting option.

SPM14430
11-14-10, 18:11
At low magnification you will notice the shadow of the FSB. This may or may not bother you.

With my Leatherwood CMR 1-4X, the FSB disappears around 2.5X

With that being said, I had a chance to take my Leatherwood CMR out for a spin and had a blast. I was consistently hitting a 6" x 12" plate out to 175 - 200 yards.

Low Drag
11-14-10, 18:50
I use a high LaRue 1.93 spr mount, it gets it up high enough to be no issue at all. I have a 1.5-5X and at either setting the FSP is not an issue.

I like the high mount for close work as well since I've switched over / learning the Magpul method.

99HMC4
11-14-10, 18:52
If its a true 1X optic you see the post just like you would using irons. At 3+ power you dont see it at all. Its a non issue either way, just go for it....

Alaskapopo
11-14-10, 22:43
I am toying with dropping some cash on a 1-4x scope for my AR but wanted to ask if any of y'all that might be doing so with a fixed FSB have a problem with it being in the way? Or would I be better served by shaving the FSB or installing a low pro gas block? The rifle currently has an A4 flattop and a DD CHF 16 M4 1/7 5.56 bbl.

You can shoot with the fixed front sight base but I don't care for it in my field of vision on 1x so I personally would shave it down or install a low profile gas block. My opinion is based on farting around on the range and not at the house.
Pat

Shaniac
11-15-10, 12:00
I have a TA31F ACOG on my flattop and you can barely see a blur from the FSB below the BDC marks. Some say it bothers them but it is really not an issue in my opinion. The longer you use it, the blur is insignificant enough that you eventually block it out.

Tomahawk_Ghost
11-15-10, 13:10
After reading the below article I decided to give it a try. I've gotten used to it now so it doesn't bother me.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15/