PDA

View Full Version : coyote/predator rifle - 16", 18", or 20" - so many other questions

royta
11-14-10, 09:45
I'm interested in leaving my bolt gun, a .22-250, in the safe when I go coyote hunting with my 11 and 8 year old sons. I'd like to build another AR-15 to be used for coyote/predator hunting.

Requirements are that it needs to be light and shoot well with 55gr bullets. I do want M4 feed ramps to eliminate any chances of messing with the soft point bullets I'd be using.

I'm concerned with noise to the shooter. I do not want a flash supressor/muzzle brake of any type on the barrel. I also want to know how much more noise there is to the shooter between the 20", 18", and 16" barrels. Obviously a 16" is going to be the loudest of the bunch. My .22-250 sports a 24" Pac-Nor barrel, and I don't mind shooting it once or twice without hearing protection.

A2 stock
non-tactical free float tube - drilled and tapped to be able to add a Picatinny rail as needed - needs sling swivel for Harris bi-pod use
M4 feed ramps
low profile gas block
capable of shooting 55 gr bullets accurately
overall rifle as light as possible, without sacrificing accuracy too much because of a too light barrel
not too loud to the shooter
no flash supressor or muzzle brake
clean breaking trigger - probably go with Timney here

Any suggstions for parts manufacturers and barrel lengths? I'd also like to have it camo'd but without the rattle can spray paint. Suggestions for companies that can do this?

Thanks.

evolixsurf
11-14-10, 11:25
here is all you need to know(at a reasonable price). The 20" 1:8 tack drives 69gr black hills. I would think the 16"(to reduce some weight) would be just as accurate at slightly less yardage.

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=271

evolixsurf
11-14-10, 11:27
its on the heavier side but there is a very light recoil/muzzle flip and it MUCH more quiet then my 16" with pws brake.

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 12:09
I'm interested in leaving my bolt gun, a .22-250, in the safe when I go coyote hunting with my 11 and 8 year old sons. I'd like to build another AR-15 to be used for coyote/predator hunting.

Requirements are that it needs to be light and shoot well with 55gr bullets. I do want M4 feed ramps to eliminate any chances of messing with the soft point bullets I'd be using.

I'm concerned with noise to the shooter. I do not want a flash suppressor/muzzle brake of any type on the barrel. I also want to know how much more noise there is to the shooter between the 20", 18", and 16" barrels measured at the shooter. Obviously a 16" is going to be the loudest of the bunch. My .22-250 sports a 24" Pac-Nor barrel, and I don't mind shooting it once or twice without hearing protection.

A2 stock
non-tactical free float tube - drilled and tapped to be able to add a Picatinny rail as needed - needs sling swivel for Harris bi-pod use
M4 feed ramps
low profile gas block
capable of shooting 55 gr bullets accurately
overall rifle as light as possible, without sacrificing accuracy too much because of a too light barrel
not too loud to the shooter
no flash suppressor or muzzle brake
clean breaking trigger - probably go with Timney here

Any suggestions for parts manufacturers and barrel lengths? I'd also like to have it camo'd but without the rattle can spray paint. Suggestions for companies that can do this?

Thanks.

Well, as you have a couple of prospective shooters of diminutive stature I would recommend against the A2 Stock, use either a collapsible stock, or a Sully stock. If worried about noise, don't get a regular side venting brake or comp, get either a Troy Claymore or Noveske Pig style brake instead. having a muzzle device will help you, why are you ruling them out?. I would recommend either a 16" or 18" barrel in 1/7 or 1/8, both will handle .55gr. For the free float, I'd recommend the Apex Machine handguards and a barrel from White Oak Armament. As for finish, I have painted using pre-cut stencil from Bulldog Arms and sprayed with Duracoat. Even using stencils and Alumnahyde from Brownell's will leave a professionally applied appearance.

PrarieDog
11-14-10, 12:14
Since you have smaller shooters I would say to look at the BCM lightwieght upper. Couple this with a troy of Vtac handguard to free float it and you have a very light rifle. I would just leave the flash suppressor on it as it does not really redirect noise. If you want it off I would look to remove the flash suppressor and install a barrel nut to protect the threads. I would stay away from the muzzle brake. The BCM is a 1/7 but I have not had accuracy problems with 55 grain bullets. The BCM also has m4 feed ramps. Atached is a pic of my set up before adding a scope.

OMD
11-14-10, 12:26
Are you concerned about accuracy being affected by use of a brake? If so, I am not sure that that is entirely true (especially in the accuracy range of the AR platform) short of bench shooting. Of course, depends on how far you're expecting to take 'yotes. There are a couple brakes that do nothing more than project the sound downrange and that would allow you to go down to 16" for weight savings. Otherwise I would stick with 18" minimum for noise. My main varmint rig is also a .22-250 and I have on occasion "forgotten" muffs when an opportunity suddenly presented itself. That was too loud for me, though so maybe you'd find the 16" acceptable, but there is a bit more fireball going on at 16" which your kids might not appreciate. If handloading you could mitigate that effect somewhat with powder and going below 55g round. I'm assuming you want to shoot .223 instead of 5.56 for the additional accuracy, but you could use the Wylde chambering for both. I really like the White Oak varmint barrel in 18" - they can flute it and lap a bolt to it for enhanced accuracy and even add ambi extension if looking for a left handed setup. The Shilen combo with bolt is very accurate, but not sure if they offer shorter than 20" lengths or fluting. These combos would put you in the $400 range. You could have Lothar Walter build you a custom fluted barrel in the $400-450 range set up as you wish. You could just stick with the lower quality varmint uppers like DPMS, RRA, etc, but I prefer using higher quality parts. They MAY provide enough accuracy, but to me I can never seem to get closer than 350-400y - I don't call.

royta
11-14-10, 12:34
Well, as you have a couple of prospective shooters of diminutive stature I would recommend against the A2 Stock, use either a collapsible stock, or a Sully stock. If worried about noise, don't get a regular side venting brake or comp, get either a Troy Claymore or Noveske Pig style brake instead. having a muzzle device will help you, why are you ruling them out?. I would recommend either a 16" or 18" barrel in 1/7 or 1/8, both will handle .55gr. For the free float, I'd recommend the Apex Machine handguards and a barrel from White Oak Armament. As for finish, I have painted using pre-cut stencil from Bulldog Arms and sprayed with Duracoat. Even using stencils and Alumnahyde from Brownell's will leave a professionally applied appearance.

I thought of the same reason as you regarding not going with the A2 stock. Maybe I'll go with the Magpul CTR, which is what I have on my one and only AR-15. I was ruling out the muzzle device simply because of noise. If there are devices out there that do not increase noise and aid in shooting, than I'm certainly interested. Thanks for the other suggestions too.

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 12:38
Royta, the Claymore and the Noveske direct the muzzle blast forward. These were primarily intended for SBR's but may aid in what you want. There is no substitute for proper hearing protection, especially for young shooters. Surefire makes some nice inside the ear units that might fit the bill.

MistWolf
11-14-10, 13:00
Bushmaster is a dirty word around here, but they may have just the barrel you're looking for. Their Varminter barrel is a good profile for a coyote rifle- enough material to handle the heat of some fast action, light enough to make a good "walk-about". Bushmaster Varminter barrels are fluted and available in either 20" or 24" lengths. They may offer shorter, but I think that either of these lengths will serve- longer to eke out a bit more velocity and reduce muzzle blast. Twist is 1:9- perfect for 55 gr pills. It allow you to shoot bullets that are a bit heavier, unlike the 1:12 twist. You won't need anything tighter unless you start shooting 70 gr or more. (The only way to know for sure what weights the barrel will stabilize is to shoot them. Each barrel is a law unto itself.) A complete Varminter with a 24" barrel weighs in under 9 lbs before optics. The one my father had was accurate and balanced well.

Another possibility is to get a barrel from DEZ Arms. They offer a fluted HBar profile barrel in 4150 steel alloy. The one I looked at is 20". Now, I haven't tried one of their barrels but when I inquired online, those who claimed to use them were satisified. I believe DEZ Arms offer a similar profile barrel in shorter lengths. Again, they're available with a 1:9 twist.

Coyote hunting doesn't require a high volume of fire as prairie dog hunting does. It's possible that a light profile barrel will fine.

I don't know what lightweight free floating handguards are out there. No sense in getting heavy handguards as the weight will in no wise lend to the performance of the rifle. A good, simple adjustable stock that offers a comfortable cheekweld should also keep weight down- and cost. I recommend the adjustable stock (look at Magpul) so the kids can shoot it. However, there is nothing wrong with an A2 stock as long as it's not too long for you. An A1 stock is a bit shorter and may work better for you if wearing a heavy coat.

If you want to buy a complete rifle already cammoed, the Varminter is marketed under the Remington name with Mossy Oak. The downside is you'll pay a premium for the licensing. You can build something better and possibly save a couple of dollars and you can choose stocks in either green or tan. Putting a rifle together would be a great project to share with your sons

royta
11-14-10, 13:01
Royta, the Claymore and the Noveske direct the muzzle blast forward. These were primarily intended for SBR's but may aid in what you want. There is no substitute for proper hearing protection, especially for young shooters. Surefire makes some nice inside the ear units that might fit the bill.

I agree with the hearing protection. I've never shot my 16" AR-15 with A2 flash hider without it. I haven't shot a handgun without hearing protection in at least the last 17 years. I'm 37 now. However, when hunting, hearing protection isn't always feasible, especially when calling in coyotes. The boys are behind me when I'm hunting, and they cover their ears when I shoulder any long gun. I guess I could look at the electronic units that quiet when it senses a loud sound, but still, my original desire of quieting a coyote/predator AR-15 to something manageable without hearing protection, when hunting (not casual plinking or target practice, still stands.

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 13:05
Mistwolf, that remington Varmiter is nothing more than a re-badged Bushmaster.

MistWolf
11-14-10, 13:12
Mistwolf, that remington Varmiter is nothing more than a re-badged Bushmaster.I must be too tired to make sense. What I was trying to point out that the Mossy Oak version sold under the Remington name costs more because of the licensing to use the camo pattern

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 13:16
Mistwolf,

Brother, you may well have! I am finally on my second cup of joe and the world is starting to make sense to me.

For the OP, I used to have a link for a company that would do the water transfer process for camo finished but the link appears dead. It is a very expensive process and I have heard horror stories of rifles being sent back with corroded internals as all they do is dip the rifle and do no post dip preventative maintenance.

Ken

MrMilspecer
11-14-10, 13:26
I will use this one. DDM4 v4. I like a lightweight accurate field gun.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/kenrabel/IMG_1221.jpg

royta
11-14-10, 13:55
Thanks for the advice everybody. I do appreciate it and hope it keeps coming. I'm not interested in any Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, or other mass produced high profit margin parts that will have a high likelihood of needing to be sent back to the manufacturer. Please don't argue this with me. I am not interested. Thank you.

ETA -In no way is my intent to show disrespect to those with suggestions previous to this post. I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk.

Fluke
11-14-10, 15:21
I ended up using a 20" Colt SP-1 barrel with a 1-12" twist for my coyote rifle. Shoots well (good enough) with 40 gr. Ballistic Tips. I have a threaded muzzle protector on it right now but just got a Noveske Pig from a buddy I want to try out on it. I used an A1 length fixed Modstock for light weight. I used a Troy Extreme for the handguard.

There isn't a manufacturer today who understands, let alone builds, an optimum coyote rifle on the AR-15 platform. They have no clue. The perfect coyote AR-15 rifle would have a 20" pencil profile, stainless steel, slow twist match grade barrel sans threaded end with a well protected crown. The barrel would also have to be chambered with a short throat reamer so that we can get close to the lands while still being able to get the cartridge into the magazine. They don't exist save for going the custom route.

DTHN2LGS
11-14-10, 17:51
Do you hunt Coyotes at night? They do here. If so, a flash suppressor may actually be a good thing.

I would take a look at bravocompanyusa.com's BCM 18" SS410 Rifle Length Upper mated with one of their lowers. Excellent quality guns.

MistWolf
11-14-10, 18:14
Thanks for the advice everybody. I do appreciate it and hope it keeps coming. I'm not interested in any Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, or other mass produced high profit margin parts that will have a high likelihood of needing to be sent back to the manufacturer. Please don't argue this with me. I am not interested. Thank you.

ETA -In no way is my intent to show disrespect to those with suggestions previous to this post. I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk.

You're not coming off as a jerk at all and nothing in your post is disrespectful. You've nothing to apologize for. Your statement simply clarifies and narrows down what you're looking for- a good thing.

What kind of budget are you looking at? I am currently assembling a rifle with a similar mission- a solid, accurate rifle that's light enough to be used as a walk-about. Mine will have a 20" barrel and a UBR stock. The barrel I'm giving as serious look is this one here from Rainier Arms-
http://www.rainierarms.com//img/shop/product/82d83a4d548f5ceb53aa021501ef26e4.jpg
I went to their store and handle the barrel in person and they were in stock w/o the FSB as of a week ago. They put one on the scale for me and it came in at 2lbs, 7 oz without gasblock or tube. I will be using a Battle Comp on it.

You could try going with a La Rue Stealth upper
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/StealthUpperFamily200.jpg
Definitely not cheap! But the barrel has good features such as ion bonding & polygonal rifling and is made from LW50 stainless. Lothar Walther also uses LW50 SS

royta
11-14-10, 22:07
You're not coming off as a jerk at all and nothing in your post is disrespectful. You've nothing to apologize for. Your statement simply clarifies and narrows down what you're looking for- a good thing.

What kind of budget are you looking at? I am currently assembling a rifle with a similar mission- a solid, accurate rifle that's light enough to be used as a walk-about. Mine will have a 20" barrel and a UBR stock. The barrel I'm giving as serious look is this one here from Rainier Arms-
http://www.rainierarms.com//img/shop/product/82d83a4d548f5ceb53aa021501ef26e4.jpg
I went to their store and handle the barrel in person and they were in stock w/o the FSB as of a week ago. They put one on the scale for me and it came in at 2lbs, 7 oz without gasblock or tube. I will be using a Battle Comp on it.

You could try going with a La Rue Stealth upper
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/StealthUpperFamily200.jpg
Definitely not cheap! But the barrel has good features such as ion bonding & polygonal rifling and is made from LW50 stainless. Lothar Walther also uses LW50 SS

I had to match up the picture at the Raineir Arms site to figure out which one you were looking at. This one, right? LINK (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=774)

I don't really have a budget yet. I know the cost of the trigger and Grant's LPK. I already have a SDI lower, and a BCM BCG. Basically the only costs that I don't know are the barrel and free float tube. I want a light weight tube. No extra material in rails needed. If I can get a nice shooting barrel for $250, then I don't see the need for spending $500. This is not going to be a bench rest gun. So, whatever barrel I decide is good enough for me, then that will be my budget.

I'll probably be buying the 50 round boxes of Hornady 55gr soft point ammo that sells for $30 something a box. That or Black Hills blue box stuff. I won't be reloading for it. Too much lost brass when shooting in the field. That is unless I can buy new brass and componenets and reload cheaper then I can buy the $30-something for 50 rounds stuff.

MistWolf
11-15-10, 00:57
Yes, that's the correct link. I apologize, I forgot to supply them in my earlier post. If that's more than you want to spend, here's a perfectly good 20" fluted barrel from DEZ Arms. It's made from 4250 vanadium chromoly steel and has the 5.56 chamber. $168
http://www.shop.dezarms.com/images/20%20fluted%20h-bar%20(2).jpg
http://www.shop.dezarms.com/product.sc?productId=23&categoryId=13

Hah! This time I remembered the LINK!

kmrtnsn
11-15-10, 01:38
Yes, that's the correct link. I apologize, I forgot to supply them in my earlier post. If that's more than you want to spend, here's a perfectly good 20" fluted barrel from DEZ Arms. It's made from 4250 vanadium chromoly steel and has the 5.56 chamber. $168

1/9 twist.

MistWolf
11-15-10, 02:43
1/9 twist.

Dang it! I forgot to list the twist. This twist is good for running bullets up to about 69 grains-give or take. 55 grainers should work great

royta
11-15-10, 06:13
Yeah, a 1:9 twist wouldn't be the end of the world. I won't be running anything other than 55gr bullets unless it were the end of the world, and this wouldn't be my weapon of choice anyway.

What I don't like is how much that barrel must weigh. That's nothing I would be excited to pack around all day. I had a 20" Bushmaster that I bought in 01 that came with the standard heavy barrel. No thanks. I sold the rifle a couple years ago.

MistWolf
11-15-10, 11:44
It's gotta weigh less than the standard HBar barrel as it's fluted. DEZ also sells other profiles, as do, of course, others. It's been my experience that it's not barrel length that saves you weight in a rifle barrel, it's profile. Maybe the gov profile or other light profile will work fine considering the slow rate of fire of the normal coyote hunt

CQC.45
11-15-10, 12:32
This (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm) on the lower of your choice.

Something like this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-18%20SS410%20MISS-15-8.jpg

royta
11-16-10, 22:40
Here's a link to my rifle in the picture thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=258409&postcount=1646

It's an SDI lower with SDI 1:7 16" middy barreled upper. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to:

pull off the A2 flash suppressor and install a Troy Claymore
build up my other SDI stripped lower with one of my G&R LPK's, but with whiz bang trigger
install good glass on upper and move over to other lower

I need glass and another lower anyway, so this would help me determine if a 16" barrel is too short. It would also allow me to test the accuracy of this barrel.

The problem is that I really like having my current setup in the safe for those SHTF situations.

royta
11-18-10, 06:55
Would it be quieter to just run a barrel without a flash supressor or muzzle brake?

DSZM4
11-18-10, 07:02
DSA fluted middy barrel is $179 call and ask for a price without the gas block? Its Nitrided so it will last a long time and its 1:9 for you coyote rifle that would be nice.

MistWolf
11-18-10, 13:45
Would it be quieter to just run a barrel without a flash supressor or muzzle brake?

All brakes I've had personal experience with have been louder to the sides & rear compared to rifles with a simple flash suppressor or with no muzzle device.

All flash suppressors I've had experience with seemed no louder than rifles without a muzzle device.

Shorter barrels have increased muzzle blast. My buddy's 16 inch AR with a flash suppressor has a sharper muzzle report than my 20 inch AR with a flash suppressor

royta
11-18-10, 18:21
I really don't to pick up an 18" barrel and wish I had another 2" on there to decrease muzzle blast.

That WOA 20" Squad Designated Marksman barrel is as light as the 18" BCM SS410 barrel. Much more expensive than the BCM SS410 barrel though. I'm wondering how a 20" rifle would look with a Magpul CTR stock.

ETA -
From BCM's post on TOS: (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=179421)
Approx weights from our postal scale of stripped barrels.

16"
Standard Carbine LW, 1lb 8oz.
Standard M4, 1lb 12oz
Standard Middy, 1lb 12oz
Standard LW Middy, 1lb 8oz
BFH Middy, 1lb 12oz
SS410, 2lb 1oz

18"
SPR, 2lb 8oz

20"
SAM, 3lb 3oz

WOA SDM 20" 2lb 9oz - http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/barrels.htm

royta
11-18-10, 18:57
This (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20miss-15.htm) on the lower of your choice.

Looks good. THIS (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm) one would be nice too. I wish I could find weights of those two uppers.

The SPR Mk 12's are listed at http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-upper-receiver-weight-comparisons, none of the "low end" 18" SS410 setups. Bummer.

pennzoil
11-18-10, 18:59
I really don't to pick up an 18" barrel and wish I had another 2" on there to decrease muzzle blast.

That WOA 20" Squad Designated Marksman barrel is as light as the 18" BCM SS410 barrel. Much more expensive than the BCM SS410 barrel though. I'm wondering how a 20" rifle would look with a Magpul CTR stock.

I would go with the BCM and pass on the WOA out of those two.

I have a WOA 16" 1/7 twist match grade barrel and less then impressed overall with it. Also WOA customer service is less then stellar if you have questions/issues(actually the worst I've experienced @shooting gear). Normally I wouldn't say anything but hate to see you waste $$.

The_Hammer_Man
11-18-10, 21:30

+1 for DEZ ARMs Barrels! I have two 20" fluted barrels on a pair of builds I did. (one was for a customer and I built one for myself)

If you set it up right, ie,, FF tube over a low pro sightblock with a decent muzzle device, these things are tack drivers.

I regularly get 1/2"-3/4" groups out of mine using 55gr v-max ammo in lake city brass.

ETA: They also make a very nice 20" pencil barrel that ways considerably less.

royta
12-06-10, 06:32
+1 for DEZ ARMs Barrels! I have two 20" fluted barrels on a pair of builds I did. (one was for a customer and I built one for myself)

If you set it up right, ie,, FF tube over a low pro sightblock with a decent muzzle device, these things are tack drivers.

I regularly get 1/2"-3/4" groups out of mine using 55gr v-max ammo in lake city brass.

ETA: They also make a very nice 20" pencil barrel that ways considerably less.

Yeah, I looked at the 20" pencil barrel. I guess for $160 it wouldn't be a huge loss if accuracy wasn't what I expected. I could probably sell it and recoup some of it. http://www.shop.dezarms.com/product.sc?productId=121&categoryId=13

I wish I could use the search feature with a three letter word. It would be nice to see a few more opinions on the DEZ Arms barrels.

dway
12-06-10, 07:17
I wish I could use the search feature with a three letter word. It would be nice to see a few more opinions on the DEZ Arms barrels.

If you use the yellow search button near the top by the sponsor banners you can just put in DEZ and it comes up with several threads.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 16:38
Not sure about it's durability but the Bushmaster Carbon lower definately reduces the weight.

Wormydog1724
12-09-10, 20:02
I am an avid coyote hunter. I hunt every fall, winter, and spring on my family's farm in Oklahoma. Every year me and my brother kill at least 20 coyotes. Last February we entered a coyote calling contest and placed 2nd with 11 coyotes. We called in over 35 dogs in two days but when 3 or 4 coyotes come in at once, things get a little hectic and our shooting showed it.

Now to my rifle I use. I purchased a Remington R-15 and absolutely love it. Shoots great, plenty accurate, and never had a malfunction. It's light weight and handy with an 18" fluted barrel and collapsible stock. I mostly shoot Federal 50 grain JHP's from walmart and hunt with Remington 55 grain AccuTip's. Thinking about switching to Hornady 55 grain V-Max's.

Here's a few older pics of the rifle and some coyotes taken with it. It had a LaRue SPR mount and Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 with BDC reticle.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/IMG_0746.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/IMG_1452.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/IMG_1453.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/IMG_1023.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/IMG_0992.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/My%20pictures/7b7f655c.jpg

The rifle performed great but I absolutely hated the green camo. So I stripped it off and sent it to get redipped in a brush pattern. Also got rid of the Nikon with the LaRue mount and replaced them with another LaRue mount and a Trijicon Accupoint TR20-2 with the Amber Mil-Dot reticle. Also replaced the stock with a Magpul MOE and grip with a Magpul MIAD. The aluminum tube was ok, but I wanted to cover the gas block so I put a Troy TRX Extreme 13" on it. Also replaced the BCG with a Spike's Tactical BCG. The original was a little rough although I never did have any problems.

Here is a pic as it is now. I haven't had the chance to call in any coyotes yet, busy with school trying to graduate college. But I have had it out several times and it shoots great. The accupoint is fantastic.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/211b27a2.jpg

My advice for a predator hunting rifle:
Figure out your territory and how far your shots might be.
My shots are less than 150. Sometimes 200 but rarely. Mostly 50 to 100.
I looked for a rifle that was lightweight, easy to handle and manuver, and one I wouldn't mind carrying all day. A good sling helps this.
Having a super powerful scope isn't necessary. A 3-9 is plenty.
Also a super accurate rifle isn't necessary. Mine does 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100. Maybe a little better if I get bagged up.
Weight is a big issue so just keep it simple. I went with the Troy TRX extreme because it's one of the lightest full length hanguards and I still have the ability to add rails when and where I want. As well as a light or back up iron sights.
Don't use FMJ's for predator hunting.
An 18" barrel is plenty long and if fluted is plenty light.

If you have any questions about calling predators, feel free to pm me.

royta
12-09-10, 20:28
Thanks Wormydog. Who did you send your parts to to have camo'd? To what extent did you disassemble?

It sure looks like you know what you're doing with the coyotes. I haven't successfully called one in yet, and have been using mouth calls off and on since I was 13 or so (24 years ago). Though, I'm sure I'd have a little better luck now if I were by myself, but I enjoy having my 11 & 8 year old boys around too much to leave them at home. I'm sure I'll bring in them just fine now that I picked up a FoxPro Firestorm...and find some spots with a little less pressure.

Oh, some of your dogs were sure mangy looking.

Wormydog1724
12-09-10, 20:39
Yeah the two mangy ones were summer and early fall so I just saved them from a rough cold winter.

We have 600 head of cows and losing calves to coyotes is a real problem. It doesnt happen all the time but in recent years our calf losses have been reduced due to our hunting. Now packs of feral dogs are our biggest problem.

We use a foxpro fury but when I go alone I just use a Primos Ki-Yi call because of it's variety of sounds that can be made. Nothing beats a foxpro IMO. And there's nothing at all wrong with taking your kids. They'll remember it. I remember my dad taking me and letting me shoot a coyote with his 30-06. Not the best thing for a 7 year old to shoot but I'll never forget it.

And I had it redipped at Freedom Graphix in Ada, OK. FreedomGraphix.com
I took my rifle completely apart. I did not remove the bolt catch or toward assist however. I didn't want to remove the roll pins. They just taped over them no problem.

royta
12-09-10, 20:59
And I had it redipped at Freedom Graphix in Ada, OK. FreedomGraphix.com
I took my rifle completely apart. I did not remove the bolt catch or toward assist however. I didn't want to remove the roll pins. They just taped over them no problem.

So you sent the stock, upper receiver, lower receiver, handguard tube, and grip, correct?

SOF1971
12-09-10, 21:08
What region of Oklahoma you from Wormydog1724 I'm about 12 miles from OK, and we have the same problem with the dogs here too. I'm near Dodge City. We did have a great deer season even with all the coyotes.

Wormydog1724
12-09-10, 21:10
I dropped off the upper, Lower, and stock personally. Then later when I bought the MIAD and Troy handguard I just mailed those. I didn't want to worry about the mail losing the upper and lower and Ada was about 90 minutes from me.

I would call and get a price quote before you mail. For me at least it was less then what was quoted on their site. But I can't remember the exact amount because I did it in pieces with several months in between.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 21:13
I'm 40 miles south of Dodge City, not sure where Ada is in relation to Alva.

Wormydog1724
12-09-10, 21:13
What region of Oklahoma you from Wormydog1724 I'm about 12 miles from OK, and we have the same problem with the dogs here too. I'm near Dodge City. We did have a great deer season even with all the coyotes.

My family's farm is in central OK, southwest of OKC about 30 minutes. Right now Im a student at OSU in Stillwater. My fiancé is from Hugoton, KS which is far southwest Kansas near Liberal. I'm going to Ponca City, OK to shoot USPSA on Saturday.

SOF1971
12-09-10, 21:14
I have family in Liberal. I have a cousin at OSU right now she parties a little too much I think!

SOF1971
12-09-10, 21:16
I'll email ya later don't want to get in trouble for getting off topic.:D

SOF1971
12-09-10, 21:17
I'm shooting dogs on Saturday, I really never went to many shoots, but I should, I always watch them when they're on the tv.

Wormydog1724
12-09-10, 21:18
Sounds good.