PDA

View Full Version : Safariland 6004.... Mod or HSGI UDHP?

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 14:45
Got my new FDE 6004 in for my M&P 9 :D . As many others do, I prefer mine to ride higher on the leg. I am trying to decide if I should just do the usual modding of the holster, or, try out a HSGI UDHP. Any thoughts one way or the other??

John_Wayne777
08-03-07, 15:35
Tagged because I'm wondering the same thing.....

Harv
08-03-07, 17:09
I'd Mod it if it were me.. I like it very much and comes close to simulating a belt mounted holster.

The other holster has to much to wrap around my leg. With the 6004 Mod, that is not needed.
Plus your not going to get that wider strap up high on your thigh. With the 6004 mod you can get the single strap up high with out it covering a big chunk of your thigh and keep the holster up by the belt line.

If your looking for the traditional drop leg placement.. I would go with the UDP.. but if you want it high... then I would choose the 6004 mod.

Just my $.02

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 17:51
Thanks Harv. Duly noted.

For the record, the UDHP That I am considering is SKD's version specifically designed to ride higher.

http://www.skdtac.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=942

militarymoron
08-03-07, 17:53
mod is cheap and good. another pretty good option is the 6005-10 small leg shroud:
http://www.safariland.com/products.asp?id=362
here's a pic of my 6305 ALS for fullsize govt .45 mounted to it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/6305.jpg

Hawkeye
08-03-07, 18:14
MM, Have you noticed any issues/interference of the retention hood and the buckle, with the buckle being is such close proximity to it?

LOKNLOD
08-03-07, 20:12
I've got the UDHP, and I like it but it could be approved upon.

It's good to see SKD selling it with the no-buckle drop hanger, because it does hang much too low with the QD hanger. I did the same thing to mine - I swapped out the QD for the velcro-only hanger. It is the same hanger HSGI uses on their drop leg panels, so I switched mine out. I think it makes more sense to have the leg panel be removable, anyway. It helps a lot, but I've got mine adjusted up all the way and wouldn't mind a little further.

The "diamond mesh" leg panel is good, the strap is wide and doesn't dig in, and has some elasticity thanks to a built-in bungee loop. That lets it give a little as you flex and move, but it also makes it hard to get it to the right tightness. I have found myself wanting to tighten it several times. I haven't had it on for anything approaching a significant amount of time - no 3 day carbine classes or anything -- so I can't comment on how it will wear on you in an all-day-every-day situation. The down side to the "diamond" shape is that (depending on your build) the leg strap can top-out against your crotch before the holster is all the way up on your hip. It might be much better as a trapezoid-shape with the strap closer to the bottom of the holster (something the modded 6004 seems to have right). Something that I did was re-mount my holster a little higher on the platform (sticking out of the "pocket" more). That gained me a little more height too.

My last complaint, and it's probably minor and partially my fault, is that when you mount the holster in the platform, it pulls the shape of the holster that makes it not conform to the curvature of your leg as well. I think a lot of that has to do with my mounting job. Also that effect got worse when I moved from a non-light-mounted holster to a light-mounted holster. I am thinking of making some lightweight plastic shims to bolt through and improve the fit.

I'm attaching a picture of my belt, it's small and fuzzy but I think you can see how much higher the velcro strap is versus the QD strap on the leg panel. You can also see that the velcro strap is so far adjusted that it sticks below the holster -- I can't take it much higher and still have an adequate (IMO) patch of velcro making contact.

Despite those issues, I like it overall, and am not going to dump it for a standard 6004 anytime soon. If it were going to do it over again, I'd seriously consider that 6005-10 small shroud instead. I'm assuming you can just swap the belt hanger on a 6280 for the small shroud and be set? I got an exceptional deal on my UDHP (new from a dealer that was closing) and bought the 6280 used to go in it, so I'm not in too deep, but with a new holster and new shroud, it's probably the priciest way to go.

If you would like any detail pics of a UDHP, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

militarymoron
08-03-07, 20:28
MM, Have you noticed any issues/interference of the retention hood and the buckle, with the buckle being is such close proximity to it?

nope, not any more than the regular strap. there's no interference between the buckle and hood. also, this particular holster has the ALS system, which retains the pistol even when the hood's forward so i normally leave the hood down. the pistol is released with a flick of the thumb - it's VERY quick and i really like it in comparison to my 6004.

Erick Gelhaus
08-05-07, 20:43
MM-
Any line on the L/H part numbers for the 6305s? Thanks.

BushmasterFanBoy
08-05-07, 20:54
Satisfied 6004 user here. I've never used any other drop leg though, so I can't tell you if it's that big of a step up. I can tell you though that my 6004 is great. Not a thing I'd change on it.

Loner
08-05-07, 22:57
hawkeye, where did you get your 6004 for the m&p? I'm looking for a 6005 in fde for mine. thanks.

Hawkeye
08-05-07, 22:59
Check with SKD.

militarymoron
08-06-07, 09:29
MM-
Any line on the L/H part numbers for the 6305s? Thanks.

holster: 6305-53-552 - Dark Earth Brown, colt govt. model 1911 fullsize, NO light, NO rail, LEFT HAND

leg panel (right or left) - 6005-10-55 - Dark Earth Brown

Erick Gelhaus
08-06-07, 12:22
MM-
Thank you sir!

Eagle1*
08-08-07, 09:20
Does anyone have a website that explains all the variations of the 6004/6005 etc? It seems to me that Safarilands website is hard to browse and that they also have alot of different options that are not listed. Any suggestions? Thanks..

Loner
08-08-07, 23:17
Does anyone have a website that explains all the variations of the 6004/6005 etc? It seems to me that Safarilands website is hard to browse and that they also have alot of different options that are not listed. Any suggestions? Thanks..

+1

I'm wondering what model number is a 6005 for the M&P in fde, left handed.

militarymoron
08-11-07, 00:51
I'm wondering what model number is a 6005 for the M&P in fde, left handed.
i believe it's 6005-219-552 for the 9 and .40 fullsize.

the '55' in the '552' indicates the FDE colour, the digit at the end is 'handed-ness' - 1 for right, 2 for left.

1SFG
08-13-07, 11:50
for you safariland users - is it possible to purchase different holsters for the 6004 base system? in other words, if I own a 6004 for a Glock 19, can I go out and purchase a holster body for a 1911 and swap it out with the G-19 holster, or am I forced to purchase the entire 6004 system for each weapon system?

NCPatrolAR
08-13-07, 20:07
You can swap out bodies, but I dont know of any place to buy them from. I typically buy used belt holters (6280,6377, etc) and bolt them to the platform as needed.

That being said, I prefer the UDHP over the 6004

yasnevo
08-14-07, 11:19
Basicload's holster config is now in production... now that is cool...

CGSteve
04-16-11, 23:43
I've been doing some research on how to mount my 6280-297 (for HK P2000) holster in a thigh holster that sits as high as possible.

Like others, our holsters are just issued to us and I've never had much experience with Safariland and their product numbering system was a bit confusing, but I think I have it figured out.

My question is how high does the 6305 and 6004 system sit compared to the SKD HSGI UDHP? Also, so I don't need to purchase and possibly return the UDHP if I go that route, does anyone know for sure if it will even take the 6280-297?

Much appreciated.