PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Noveske barrel question

rubiconbay
11-14-10, 11:41
Just got the Noveske Afghan 14.5 with SS barrel any tips on maintanence and I read somewhere no ammonia for the barrel can you enlighten me with all your wisdom?? Thanks

Redhat
11-14-10, 14:08
Congrats on the new rifle. I have no experience with Noveske, but if it were me, I would call them and ask about recommended cleaning procedures.

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 14:12
On the occasions when I clean the barrel I use Hoppe's powder solvent and Barretts Bore Cleaner.

Just got the Noveske Afghan 14.5 with SS barrel any tips on maintanence and I read somewhere no ammonia for the barrel can you enlighten me with all your wisdom?? Thanks

Oscar 319
11-14-10, 14:22
I believe what the OP is referring to is to not use ammonia-based solvents on chrome lined barrels/bores.

I use Slip 725 on my chrome line barrels. You should be ok with your solvent of choice on the SS Noveske.

Hoppe's No 9 never hurt any of my SS pistols. I have no experience with SS AR barrels.

CHoffman
11-14-10, 15:25
I believe what the OP is referring to is to not use ammonia-based solvents on chrome lined barrels/bores.

Why not?

Hound_va
11-14-10, 15:29
Noveske's lineage comes from PacNor. In the benchrest world it has been shown that ammonia based cleaners contribute directly to throat deterioration in stainless BR barrels. As far as ammonia in a chrome lined barrel goes, industrial hard chrome does not use a copper substrate. It was thought by many folks who do not know the difference between decorative chrome plating and industrial hard chrome plating that they were one and the same. Without the copper substrate, the ammonia is has no means to chemically separate the chrome from the bore. Hence the use of industrial hard chrome rather than decorative chrome on the bore.

CHoffman
11-14-10, 15:34
Awesome explanation. Thank you.

Oscar 319
11-14-10, 15:38
Why not?

Ammonia is said to cause oxidation/damage to chrome linings. This is what is was told many years ago. I do not know if is true or not.

ETA: There you go. Good info Hound. You learn something new everyday....or at least everytime you come to this forum.

ucrt
11-14-10, 16:50
Have you seen this from Noveske (http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/barrel_break-in.pdf)?

rubiconbay
11-14-10, 18:16
Thanks for all the good advice