PDA

View Full Version : SIG P290

Gewehr3
11-14-10, 15:10
Any field reports about the P290 yet?

kmrtnsn
11-14-10, 15:18
Looks like a SIG P250 subcompact without a slide release. I would recommend avoiding it as the P250's have proven to be POS's.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P290-detail-hero.jpg

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P250-SUB-detail-L.jpg

twodogs
11-17-10, 19:37
I am looking forward to its release. It is a great combination of size & potency.

Have you shot a 250? I know several people that have & love them.

I have read mixed reviews on the 250 - but that is safe to say on almost any gun out there.

Entropy
11-17-10, 21:01
I am looking forward to its release. It is a great combination of size & potency.

I have read mixed reviews on the 250 - but that is safe to say on almost any gun out there.

The P250s seem to do "okay" for the average civilian customer who is a gentle user. On the other hand, even the gentle users have had problems. Get into hard users like the ATF, and the pistol has been abysmal with 4x the mechanical, and user induced malfunctions of the Glock and M&P competators in the ATF pistol trials. There has literally been no pistol that has entered Federal agency pistol trials in the last 30 years that has done as bad as the Sig P250.

Having been a dedicated Sig user for about 15 years, and been an armorer for DOI for about 10 of those, I would avoid any new Sig Sauer designs like the plague. The only subcompact Sigs that have a proven track record are the P230/P232 and P239 series. Of those, I would purchase older models made before 2005.

crazymoose
11-17-10, 21:54

Yes. In trying to remember a worse pistol made by a good company, I hearken all the way back to the days of the Colt All-American and the H&K VP70Z.

TOrrock
11-17-10, 22:21
Yes. In trying to remember a worse pistol made by a good company, I hearken all the way back to the days of the Colt All-American and the H&K VP70Z.

At least you could expect the VP-70Z to run.

kmrtnsn
11-17-10, 22:35

Colt All-American. The one design that makes even Stoner's most stalwart admirers go, "WTF?"

D. Christopher
11-17-10, 22:46
It's sad what has become of so many SIG offerings in recent years. I was lucky to have been introduced to some great pistols by two very knowledgable guys a long time ago, but I haven't owned one in many years and I have several friends who have had very bad luck with them recently. I hope that they can turn it around and earn back their good name. When SIG armorers warn you off you know there's a problem.

kmrtnsn
11-17-10, 22:51

Yes I have and would prefer carrying a Ruger GP-100 to a SIG P250 or one of its derivatives.

crazymoose
11-18-10, 01:53
At least you could expect the VP-70Z to run.

I wouldn't know. Every time I've tried to fire one, the range would close for the night before I finished pulling the trigger on the first shot. One of these times I'll get there early, make a day of it, and squeeze a round off!

gtmtnbiker98
11-18-10, 08:46
I wouldn't know. Every time I've tried to fire one, the range would close for the night before I finished pulling the trigger on the first shot. One of these times I'll get there early, make a day of it, and squeeze a round off!That's funny!:sarcastic:

Mike169
11-18-10, 09:49
It looks like it has a slightly higher bore axis than the PM9 and thus less shootable, but I'm definitely curious and would love to take a look at this gun.

GermanSynergy
11-18-10, 21:29
The ones I've seen in classes have all been total pieces of dogshit. During the first break the student applied generous amounts of Slip EWl to the contact points, and a variety of FMJ/JHP ammunition was tried to see if the pistol liked a certain projectile weight, manufacturer or loading. No such luck. The student almost threw his at the berm after it experienced the 20th stoppage of the morning.

You couldn't give me a p250.

mikee1973
11-19-10, 08:34
if it is as compact as an LCP and shoots well i might switch to consolidate rounds.