PDA

View Full Version : slide locking back every 5 rounds or so on my Glock 17. weird.

fuse
11-14-10, 19:56
I am not sure if I am riding the slide release up,

or the spring that pushes it down lost tension,

or when I put the slide release back in I somehow put it in wrong.

its a stock glock extended slide release that I installed. It was happening the last time I shot it two weeks ago, so I took it out and stretched the spring to give it more tension. I didn't have this malfunction as much tonight, but it still happened a few times.

any ideas?

skyugo
11-14-10, 20:03
make sure the slide stop spring is under the little pin. the slide stop should stay positively sprung down to the top of the frame with the slide off.

easy mistake to make when detail stripping.

fuse
11-14-10, 20:04
yes, that is a mistake I have made before. it is definitely in the correct place.

D. Christopher
11-14-10, 20:18
Sounds like you've got the extended slide stop installed wrong, it's easy to do. It's easier to understand if you see it rather than try to describe it so I'd recommend that you go to YouTube and find one of the videos that show the installation of the slide stop or extended slide stop lever and watch closely until you know what you're looking for. Then check to make sure your extended model is installed properly. If that doesn't solve the problem go back to the original factory slide stop and make sure that is installed correctly and test again.

I doubt a spring lost tension unless it was broken or damaged, but incorrect installation could give that impression. On a pistol with a correctly installed slide stop lever, if you think you are riding the lever and causing it to lock you can fire left handed, one hand only to confirm if you're doing it or not. There are some other threads on this forum that cover this problem, and some may even have some pictures that might be helpful, but I still recommend watching a video of a Glock detail strip, or slide stop replacement so that you understand just how the parts interact and what you're looking for when you inspect you pistol again. Good luck.

platoonDaddy
11-14-10, 21:10
Check out the following video, 4 minutes, 40 seconds into

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trpniw70xA4&feature=channel

fuse
11-14-10, 21:29
the slide stop spring is in the correct place. I know what I am doing.

I think the next step is for me to install the standard release to see if I am riding the extended release.

Robb Jensen
11-14-10, 21:31
Does it do it if you shoot it left handed only?

fuse
11-14-10, 22:16
Does it do it if you shoot it left handed only?

have not tried it. should have. I think I have narrowed it down to me riding the slide release though.

Robb Jensen
11-14-10, 22:21
have not tried it. should have. I think I have narrowed it down to me riding the slide release though.

That's what I'm thinking. I have a tendency due to my very high aggressive grip to hold the slide stop down and prevent it from going into slide lock when empty. Occurs with me on Glocks and M&Ps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/RobbMP.jpg

Magsz
11-14-10, 23:58
Im with Robb on this one.

When i run Glocks with extended slide stops without fail i tend to get them to lock prematurely.

Thus far ive been very lucky with my M&P's and havent run into the same issue.

Try shooting the gun one handed and see if the issue is still there. Have someone else shoot the gun as well.

These issues are generally shooter induced or due to improper assembly and you've assured us that the gun is put together correctly.

oldtexan
11-15-10, 09:18
I am not sure if I am riding the slide release up,

or the spring that pushes it down lost tension,

or when I put the slide release back in I somehow put it in wrong.

its a stock glock extended slide release that I installed. It was happening the last time I shot it two weeks ago, so I took it out and stretched the spring to give it more tension. I didn't have this malfunction as much tonight, but it still happened a few times.

any ideas?

I had an intermittent premature slide lock issue with a couple of brand new Glock 34s two or three years ago. My weak hand thumb apparently was hitting the extended slide stop lever and pushing it up. I switched to standard G17 levers and haven't had an issue in over 3k put through these two guns since.

One way to diagnose this is to shoot with your thumbs locked down well away from the slide stop lever. If the problem occurs then, it's not you bumping the lever.

How many rds through the gun? Any parts in it that aren't Glock OEM parts?

Keith E.
11-15-10, 13:53
its a stock glock extended slide release

Same prob here with 35s until I installed standard length.

Keith