PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Viking Tactics Mount

BR870
11-14-10, 20:20
How tight can I go with the Viking Tactics mount on the rail? Being plastic, I don't wanna overtighten and break the mount. Is that even possible, or should I just bottom the screws out?

Chameleox
11-15-10, 06:41
I have one mounted to a Troy rail right now. Looking at it, I see that the mount is bowed a little, but is holding steady. I'm not sure you even can tighten it down all the way. But if its on there solidly, I wouldn't worry. Not sure if Loctite would be a good idea...

William B.
11-15-10, 09:53
I have one that's held up fine, but there are some guys on M4C who have broken theirs from over-tightening. Here's a link: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54457&highlight=viking

ForTehNguyen
11-15-10, 10:13
overtightening = user error. For 20 bucks its works fine as a light mount, I dont expect them to be like iron sights.

Dennis
11-15-10, 15:34
I have a few VTAC mounts both older and newer versions as well as both types of VLTOR offset mounts and I have used them all interchangeably with no functional preference other than QD. I have tightened them beyond my own personal torque preferences with no issues although I suppose anything is possible with plastic and a bolt you can tighten as tight as much as you want.

I will probably try Gear Sector and the other ones in the future for E2 sized mounts, but the VTAC works fine and being only $20 is just one more plus. I thought enough of it on my personal carbines that I put a VTAC on my duty Benelli M4 where saving $40 is the last thing on my mind after everything sunk into it.

Dennis.

TonyTacoma
11-23-10, 19:25
I was thinking of giving the Vltor offset mount a try, it seems solid and I'm a bit worried of over tightening the vtac offset mount.

usmcvet
11-24-10, 06:13
I had mine on so tight my SureFire G2 has two little holes where the screws went through the plastic to the metal body.

709bubblehead
11-24-10, 06:57
I just picked one of these up at a local gun show over the weekend. I also had concerns about overtorquing the mounting bolts since the mount is plastic. It's mounted on my Troy rail securely without being "too" tight. It's not bad for a $20 investment and believe it or not, it was the only mount I could find at the show. At some point I'm sure I'll be upgrading to the DD offset mount I was also looking into, but for now, the Viking mount will do...

usmcvet
11-24-10, 07:05
It is a great light mount. It is light and rugged and well priced. It gives you several good mounting options to mount your light. It also has a low profile with nothing to cut or snag yourself or your gear on.

BR870
11-24-10, 08:09
I ended up getting it mounted nice and tight without over torquing. Overall I am quite satisfied. I may or may not move up to a gear sector mount depending on how this works out in real use....

ra2bach
11-26-10, 02:55
regardless of any issues with the Vtac mount, it's my favorite for a G2. it's very sturdy. it has three rings that hold the light and I mount it so one of those rings holds the endcap so it can't rotate if it brushes against me and causes a light ND.