PDA

View Full Version : S&B 1.5-6 with 6.8 at the range with pics

ccoker
11-14-10, 20:39
Spent some time out today testing the S&B 1.5-6×42 Zenith Flashdot #9
This is a scope I have been lusting after for several years for my 6.8
Ultra clear glass, perfect power range for a hunting 6.8, cross between a German #4 and an Eotech reticle with a circle around the center crosshair intersection and a dot that illuminates. My experience with most scopes that anything more than a dot is too much for actual hunting.
The scope has a standard thin reticle in the center and when you turn on the illumination, a red dot becomes protected onto the crosshair centers.
So many scopes have a black dot, say 1 MOA in the center that becomes lit up.
That’s fine at 100 yards but that dot becomes 3″ at 300, fine I guess for quick COM shots, but takes away the real precision of a gun that will shoot tighter groups than that. My test platform is one of those guns, a Wilson Combat 6.8 with an 18 medium weight stainless barrel and a match grade single stage trigger from WC.
It shoots .5 with my hand loads of Barnes 95g TTSX and about 1MOA with whatever else I feed it, not the least bit finicky.

We were at the Best of the West range in Liberty Hill, just outside of Austin.
It’s a fantastic new range offering 50, 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1K ranges
Not just punching paper, but moving and self resetting targets by AR15Targets and Larue, both local companies.. cool.

I did a quick sight in at 500 and 100 then moved over to the 250 yard bench and started doing head shots on the Larue resetting target.
It’s 11″ wide and I would guess the head is about 4″ wide and 4″ tall
With my 200 yard zero I should be running about 8″ low at 300 and 4 at 250.

We just put the x on the top center of the head and both my handloads and SSA factory 115 OTM were connecting everytime in about a 10-15mph crosswind.
No hold into the wind was needed.
Did this for a bit and then went to 500 and 750 with my 308 to test some loads, what a great day of shooting with my brother and dad.

Some pics, my brother Mike with the 6.8 and two pics sighted in an 250 yard Larue
One with the illumination off and one on, (in person it popped more and was not on max power, but red on orange is hard for the camera to capture)

Notice the 500 yard to the left and 750 and 1K in the distance.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6976/11142010rangedaydadandm.jpg
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6976/11142010rangedaydadandm.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6976/11142010rangedaydadandm.jpg

Army Chief
11-15-10, 06:08
While the 1,5-6x42 Zenith is technically not part of the S&B PMII tactical line, I would agree that this particular model is easily a best-in-class optic, and perfectly suited to these kinds of SPR/hunting/general purpose applications.

I've got the same glass with the FD4 reticle, and although it is a bit on the heavy side for a dynamic 0-100m CQB training environment (as are all premium variables), it strikes me as an exceptional choice for an all-around optic; especially when coupled to a 6.8 SPC platform.

For multi-role applications, the oft-overlooked Zenith 1,5-6 strikes me as a better dollar-for-dollar choice than the vaunted Short Dot -- and that is high praise indeed.

AC

ccoker
11-15-10, 14:26
good feedback..
For guys that use them for hunting (like me) the true 1x desire is over emphasized, I would rather give that up and have a bit more magnification and the much brighter image for low light use of the bigger objective.

For this gun, I want something that works if a deer or hog bolts across me at 20+ yards and I can get on it quick but also enables a very precise shot out to 400 yards, and works exceptionally well in low light and into the night for hog hunting.

Army Chief
11-15-10, 18:27
For this gun, I want something that works if a deer or hog bolts across me at 20+ yards and I can get on it quick but also enables a very precise shot out to 400 yards, and works exceptionally well in low light and into the night for hog hunting.

You've got the right optic. Mine was pressed into service on a G.33/40 sporter for several years in Germany, and was used primarily -- and very successfully -- in that role as an after-dusk boar gun.

The light-gathering capabilities of these optics defy comparison to any domestic glass, and make clear shots possible on all but the darkest of nights -- certainly well beyond what anyone has a right to expect of a relatively compact (by Germany standards) 42mm scope.

AC

ccoker
11-15-10, 20:25
thanks..

Some have asked about the reticle specs
1st focal plane dot, at 6x it is 1.7" according to the specs
I put a 1", 2" and 3" dot on the target and it obscured the 1", fit the 2" and was inside the 3"

the cool thing is that off, you have standard crosshairs for daytime precision long range

also tested, and a 20" tall target fits in 1/2" the circle

Belmont31R
11-15-10, 20:33
I was out there yesterday afternoon. Go about once a week.

To me the biggest draw back to a hunting oriented scope is lack of external adjustment turrets. I shot with my S-D out to 750, and being able to quickly dial in adjustments is a major plus for me.

ccoker
11-15-10, 21:55
sure, just depends on the role of the gun

M4Fundi
11-16-10, 01:06
ccoker congrats! Looks great!

I look forward to joining that range for long distance work. I have 600 acres to shoot on so I haven't joined yet, but after shooting at 1000 at the LaRue shoot I probably will.

ccoker
11-16-10, 06:29
ccoker congrats! Looks great!

I look forward to joining that range for long distance work. I have 600 acres to shoot on so I haven't joined yet, but after shooting at 1000 at the LaRue shoot I probably will.

yeah, I had never shot at 1K before that event, but I connected at 1K and 750, the latter with open sights, well, competition "open" sights.

On my 308 I have a Kahles CL 3-10x50 with a 5 position multizero.
I had calculated 1, 2, 3, 4 and 500 yards, dialed it in and verified out to to 300. Sunday I got to check at 500 and was 1 click off, then it was just, clank, clank, clank at 500. 750 I maxed out on adjustment then walked it up, found a holdover point on my reticle that worked and then the same thing...

As much as I love that scope I will be checking out some "tactical" scopes because I want to start shooting at 1k on a regular basis

That place is so much fun, doing head shots on the LaRue target (6x6) at 250 with the 6.8 is very easy.. We were having a blast wacking in, me, my brother and dad were having fun shooting it out from under the other one as it reset. Cool to see my 78 year old dad just drilling it and at 500 with my 308. Very cool facility.
I am getting one of the swinging targets from Jeremy at AR15Targets with an 8" plate (they are 12x16 at BOTW) and taking it out to our hunting lease

M4Fundi
11-16-10, 14:12
I talked my brother and nephew into going out to the LaRue shoot and to show him the OBR and S&B could do. He was mildly interested and after shooting at 500, 750 and 1000 he looked up at me with a BIG smile and said, "I had no idea this was so much fun!"

I spent alot of time with the guy who had the iron target sights. He was lonely and had lots of ammo;)

My nephew (9yr old) shooting out there at 500:D
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_0192.jpg

Brother at 1000
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/45Fundi/IMG_0197_2.jpg

ccoker
11-16-10, 15:34
yep, my brother emailed me this morning "man, I think I am going to build a long range 308!!"

he was holding near the top of the 750 berm with his 270 WSM and a 3-9 Leupould with a 200 yard zero, got within inches a few times with no real reference point... talk about "Kentucky holdover!"

M4Fundi
11-16-10, 16:47
"Kentucky Holdover" Yeah, I use to amaze the mediocre shooters with my FAL and iron sight shooting at steel at 450... and no one noticed the tactically placed white rock on the berm above the steel:cool:

Next time check and see if your brother has a tactical rock above his target ;-)

ccoker
11-16-10, 20:56
yep..
whatever it takes eh?