PDA

View Full Version : What are the odd's of this happening

sscolt
11-14-10, 20:58
A friend was shooting his AR, no issues, all of a sudden the rifle stopped cycling, he could manually cycle the bolt to load a round out of the mag and it would fire, just wouldn't cycle, he repeated this a few times then gave up.
Took the rifle to bits, had a good look, couldn't see anything obvious, stripped the bolt/carrier group, still couldn't see anything, after much discussion and "expert analysis" he blew down through the carrier key to make sure nothing was untoward, low and behold there was a primer rammed right down the end of the carrier key effectively blocking the gas system off, checked his spent brass from the day and yep there was a case with a missing primer.

Came to the conclusion that the primer blew out, tumbled around and got caught in between the gas tube and the carrier key while the rifle was cycling that round and got rammed down the key.

What do you reckon the chances of that happening twice are?:eek:

jumbopanda
11-14-10, 21:18
Wow! I sure haven't heard of anything like that before. I'd wager that the odds are pretty small.

jbo723
11-14-10, 21:36
You can add me to the list of odd occurences..I was dumb founded trying to figure out what the issue could be..I finally was able to swap out another BCG in the rifle and traced it back to the same exact problem, primer stuck in the gas key..

RadioActivity
11-14-10, 21:45
Happens more often than you might think actually...

D. Christopher
11-14-10, 21:52
I've heard of this happening quite a lot, but I've never actually seen it. When you think of how many billions of rounds are fired in this type weapon each year it's not too surprising though.

usmcvet
11-14-10, 21:59
How did you remove the primer? Did it come right out?

sscolt
11-14-10, 22:02
Primer came out ok, quietly drilled a hole in it and threaded a small tap into it then pulled it out.

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 22:56
It happened twice (IIRC) when I was in Iraq. I posted about it here (but I think the thread is gone). It was Prvi Partizan ammo and a BM carbine.

A friend was shooting his AR, no issues, all of a sudden the rifle stopped cycling, he could manually cycle the bolt to load a round out of the mag and it would fire, just wouldn't cycle, he repeated this a few times then gave up.
Took the rifle to bits, had a good look, couldn't see anything obvious, stripped the bolt/carrier group, still couldn't see anything, after much discussion and "expert analysis" he blew down through the carrier key to make sure nothing was untoward, low and behold there was a primer rammed right down the end of the carrier key effectively blocking the gas system off, checked his spent brass from the day and yep there was a case with a missing primer.

Came to the conclusion that the primer blew out, tumbled around and got caught in between the gas tube and the carrier key while the rifle was cycling that round and got rammed down the key.

What do you reckon the chances of that happening twice are?:eek:

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 23:04
I might add that he he may want to check his weapon. I have no idea what make and model he has, but I suspect that his chamber may be tight. I know in my particular case Bushmaster the chambers were all non-5.56 even though they were marked as such.

usmcvet
11-14-10, 23:04
IG

Was it in combat or training? I suppose a single shot rifle is better than nothing. Rhat is a Scary malfunction.

Nam62
11-14-10, 23:07
I'd call it a Hole-in-One!!!

Never heard of anything like that before. Primers coming out an jamming the weapon is about it.

Iraqgunz
11-14-10, 23:21
It happened while we were on the range. IIRC once was with a members weapon and once was with a weapon that I was using for testing.

Part of that debacle led to the fact that we had to ream our weapons and other crap.

IG

Was it in combat or training? I suppose a single shot rifle is better than nothing. Rhat is a Scary malfunction.

usmcvet
11-14-10, 23:28
Still scary shit.

sparky241
11-14-10, 23:41
wow! i have never heard of that but it sounds like something that would happen to me.

jumbopanda
11-14-10, 23:42
You may want to check if the rifle is over-gassed or if there's something wrong with the ammo you're using.

rob_s
11-15-10, 04:23
Be curious to know the make of the rifle.

This is not unheard of at all, but a .223 chamber plus 5.56 ammo increases the likelihood tremendously. Inexpensive 5.56 makes things even worse.

RogerinTPA
11-15-10, 09:19
I've seen it happen in a class, where the person was shooting xm193 ammo. His weapon was a jammomatic with stuck primers stuck in places in the BCG that I thought was unbelievable, cam pin hole and gas key. Most of the anecdotal stories I've heard, has been with using XM193.

jbo723
11-15-10, 13:48
Be curious to know the make of the rifle.

This is not unheard of at all, but a .223 chamber plus 5.56 ammo increases the likelihood tremendously. Inexpensive 5.56 makes things even worse.

When I had the issue, it was in my Noveske 10.5" Switchblock LoPro. Ammo was PMC Bronze.

mizer67
11-15-10, 18:36
It happened twice (IIRC) when I was in Iraq. I posted about it here (but I think the thread is gone). It was Prvi Partizan ammo and a BM carbine.

I've had the same trouble with BMs and Federal nickel plated rounds. Also it seems they like to pop Win primers too, at least based on my experience.

ucrt
11-15-10, 19:48
..... he blew down through the carrier key ....

=========================

What did he use to get the black crap off of his lips. :haha: