PDA

View Full Version : Issue with SCAR barrel torque

99HMC4
11-14-10, 22:52
Ive had an issue nagging me for a while with my SCAR and I finaaly looked into it tonight. I have a specterdr and when I first mounted it and bore sighted it it was a bit to the left but I figured it was a bore sight issue. After the first sight in (@ 100 meters) I had to move my windage even further to the left. With the elcans the entire windage arms or wings are exposed and I could clearly see the scope was sitting more to the left. It kinda bugged me but it shot great even out to over 500 meters. Im the kind of guy that the little stuff bugs me so I took a closer look at my barrel and at the point it comes out of the upper you can clearly see that the barrel was off the the left (very slight mind you but it was). So I took the barrel assy. out of the upper. First off was the 4 barrel extension screws were NOT at 62in pounds, in fact two were only finger tight, one was right and the other was so tight it bent another snap on torx bit. So I cleaned the area where the extension fits into the upper and the extension itself. Reinstalled the barrel and torqued the screws to spec. Well after that the barrel is now centered in the upper. Who would of thought? Anyway, it made a visible difference in the barrel so Ill get out and re sight in this week and see how much windage I can get back and maybe get my specter centered. So check your screws for proper torque!

Clint
11-14-10, 23:04
Good info.

Shows how important proper and consistent torque is to maintain zero.

It'll be interesting to see how much the POI changes.

cjt50
11-15-10, 03:56
Excellent find!!

Hopefully that will be the end of your zero problems.