PDA

View Full Version : optic dilemma

newyork
11-15-10, 17:24
I have a Noveske Afghan and Nightforce 1-4 and recently decided I'd like to use the Afghan for just shooting tight groups since I have 2 other carbines with T1s. Should I sell the 1-4 and get a 2.5-10 or stick it out with the 1-4. I'll be shooting from prone and the bench at 100 and 200 yds. Will the 2.5-10 make it much easier to shoot groups or is practice and the 1-4 the answer?

jasonhgross
11-15-10, 17:34
stick with the 1-4 until the 1-8's come out. Also, consider something with some sort of ranging capability (mildots/milrads) or BDC.

dfsutton
11-15-10, 20:39
stick with the 1-4 until the 1-8's come out. Also, consider something with some sort of ranging capability (mildots/milrads) or BDC.

Ok, what are the downsides that the 1-8's will have when compared to their 1-4 counterparts (S&B 1-4 vs S&B 1-8)? I know they will be longer, heavier, and cost more. But will there be losses in exit pupil size, field of vision, eye relief at comparable magnifications (4x vs. 4x...)

Just seems to me that there is no free lunch, so what are we giving up by getting the extra magnification?

dfsutton
11-16-10, 11:27
Ok, what are the downsides that the 1-8's will have when compared to their 1-4 counterparts (S&B 1-4 vs S&B 1-8)? I know they will be longer, heavier, and cost more. But will there be losses in exit pupil size, field of vision, eye relief at comparable magnifications (4x vs. 4x...)

Just seems to me that there is no free lunch, so what are we giving up by getting the extra magnification?

So, it was that dumb of a question? :confused:

Alaskapopo
11-16-10, 16:20

Generally they are heavier as you have to have a 35 mm tube and they do cost more. No other disadvantages. My 1-6x Swarovski's are great. I have the original circle dot and the new BRT bullet drop reticle. It gives up nothing to any of the 1-4 scopes and it has 2 extra power ranges. I love it. Its also a 30mm tube. You don't always give up something other than cost when technology improves.
Pat

jasonhgross
11-17-10, 10:05
Weight and cost will certainly be an issue. I found that for myself, the tradeoff on the 1-4x itself was too much weight and went back to a T1, eventually to add a 3x magnifier. After making hits with a simple aimpoint at 200 yards, I found the 1-4x was unnecessary. For your mission statement, you may need the 1-4, 1-6, or even a 1-8x.

MTechnik
11-17-10, 12:14
for just shooting tight groups since.... 100 to 200 yards

I'd sell the 1-4x and get something with much more magnification. If you're not shooting for speed or hunting where you need a wide field of view, I'd even think about going past 10x.

That is if you are just shooting for tight groups.

And remember, if it's on a QD mount, you can always take it off when it comes time for speed.