PDA

View Full Version : Ten Grand for a Glock

1_click_off
11-15-10, 17:55
I wonder if they will cut you a deal if you order some in consecutive serial numbers?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200627755

mhanna91
11-15-10, 18:01
for 10k I was expecting it to atleast be a G18.

forgiven
11-15-10, 18:24
what a joke

Whootsinator
11-15-10, 18:34
That engraving is absolutely beautiful... I guess it might be worth it to some with more money than they know what to do with, and happen to collect GLOCKs. A pretty or fancy GLOCK is the last thing on my list. If I want something pretty there are far better platforms out there.

obucina
11-15-10, 18:36
if i banked powerball, i would shoot the shnitzel out of it.

D. Christopher
11-15-10, 18:39
I carry a Glock every day. I love them for their reliability and ease of maintenance. Having said that, that is one of the dumbest things I have seen in a long time and a waste of a master engraver's time and skills. That is the kind of pistol you'd find in the collections of Saddam, Kim Jong-il, Hugo Chavez, Robert Taylor, or Robert Mugabe. People with the artistic sensibilities of a pimp. Glue some pearl handgrips on there and you'd really have something. Thanks for the laugh 1_click.

Here are some words that don't go together:
Glock Master Engraver

markm
11-15-10, 18:41
Ha! The seller is from Kansas!! Maybe that's what ugly glocks go for in his country!:sarcastic:

BSmith
11-15-10, 18:42
Apparently you can polish a turd. :sarcastic:

That's pretty cool. Is he saying it was done by one of their factory guys?

Byron
11-15-10, 18:51
...the artistic sensibilities of a pimp...
My first thought upon clicking the link was, "looks like something a pimp would carry in a b-rate movie."

That's one of the tackier guns I've seen in a long time. I generally don't care about the aesthetics of a weapon, but when an effort has obviously been made to "improve" said aesthetics, I feel fair in passing judgment.

S&H will be a fixed $30 fee except for Alaska and Hawaii
You'd think at $10k+ for a Glock, the seller could at least cover S&H :sarcastic:

1_click_off
11-15-10, 18:56
=You'd think at $10k+ for a Glock, the seller could at least cover S&H :sarcastic:

At least it is coming in a hinged case instead of the tupaware. I laughed at the $30 bucks shipping too.

Alex F
11-15-10, 19:33
It might be worth it for a legal G18 :(

1oldgrunt
11-15-10, 21:44
Did anybody notice.... it was an E series....weren't those all under re-call for rail problems??? Then again who's going to shoot it? Doooooh!

BWT
11-15-10, 21:50
I hate to say it, as a non-Glock owner.

That seems like the anti-thesis of what a glock is, Bare essentials/functionality/reliability/durability.

I don't think they'll sell, ironically, I think non-glock people will buy them thinking they can re-sell them to Glock people later for a lot more.

That and, there's nothing... I dunno how to say this, there's nothing truly beautiful about a polymer pistol (at least compared to non-polymer pistols) as far as artisan work goes, to me.

I can appreciate some historical guns, etc, but... that one doesn't impress me, just doesn't.

ETA:

It might be worth it for a legal G18

I thought the same thing, but knew the price was way too low for a transferrable G18, I think there are only a handful in existence and I want to say they go for about $20-30k.

bkb0000
11-15-10, 21:56
im pretty sure he's been trying to sell that thing for well over a year.. maybe two. i've come across it several times.

glocks are the anti-aesthetic pistol. half the reason it took me a decade to learn to appreciate them is because of how ugly they are. they're not supposed to be, don't even attempt to be, aesthetically pleasing... they're not heirlooms, they're not things you can or would want to pass down to latter generations. they're function without form. utility guns. THATS their "beauty."

i cant believe somebody would do that to a glock.

dvdlpzus
11-15-10, 21:59
If I was on crack, meth, cocaine, heroin and lsd...

I would never pay more then $450 for a Glock.

ucrt
11-15-10, 22:00

It is only half engraved. I think Grant should buy it and put some of his fancy soldering iron work on the frame.

Heck, then it might bring $20K. :)

QuickStrike
11-16-10, 03:21
Glocks look alright. This sort of engraving/gold inlay stuff just doesn't suit any firearm though IMO.

For a classy gentleman with a strong pimp-hand, an all black 1911 with ivory grips is hard to beat, beyond that it's kinda silly. :cool:

Rider79
11-16-10, 03:46
Did I wander into the handguns section on TOS by accident?

d90king
11-16-10, 05:44
PT Barnum comes to mind...

Avenger29
11-16-10, 09:45
Glocks look alright. This sort of engraving/gold inlay stuff just doesn't suit any firearm though IMO.

For a classy gentleman with a strong pimp-hand, an all black 1911 with ivory grips is hard to beat, beyond that it's kinda silly. :cool:

I've got to say I've NEVER liked engraving or gold inlays on firearms. No matter how "tastefully" done, it always looks like shit to me. Wood stocks or grips? Nice. Deep, dark blueing? Nice. Engraving? No thanks.

Moose-Knuckle
11-16-10, 17:13
I've seen these before. Would you engrave and gold inlay an 18v Dewalt drill? A tool is a tool.

Vlobb
11-16-10, 17:48
I too have seen that pistol come up
for sale and it still makes me laugh.
I don't know what's more funny...
the fact that it's engraved so lavishly,
or the $10K price tag. Good luck with
that one buddy. :laugh:

1_click_off
11-17-10, 08:10
Did I wander into the handguns section on TOS by accident?

Nope, just a slow news day. Once I hit the 200 posts I'll try to keep this stuff in general discussion.

johnnychimpo
11-17-10, 11:01
Beretta & Sig maybe. But on a Glock? NEVER. Someone missed that the beauty of a Glock is the lack of it.

blackboar
11-17-10, 11:41
That is insanity! While I appreciate art on a gun, the art of the Glock is in its simplicity, not the aesthetics.

With regard to them being heirlooms, (1) they do last forever (2) lots of people trust their lives with them and (3) there is some history now with them. So they can be heirlooms to those who have defended their lives and others with it and gives it to their heirs... But not an investment heirloom, just a $500 piece of equipment that had meaning for its owner.

Varmint6
11-17-10, 11:45
Good luck dumping those in a good economy .
getting rid of em now ha not a chance . I doubt any body would
pay a thousand let alone 10.

JeffWard
11-17-10, 11:52
Expensive lipstick on a perfectly functional pig....

LOL
Jeff

JonnyVain
11-18-10, 10:59
I carry a Glock every day. I love them for their reliability and ease of maintenance. Having said that, that is one of the dumbest things I have seen in a long time and a waste of a master engraver's time and skills. That is the kind of pistol you'd find in the collections of Saddam, Kim Jong-il, Hugo Chavez, Robert Taylor, or Robert Mugabe. People with the artistic sensibilities of a pimp. Glue some pearl handgrips on there and you'd really have something. Thanks for the laugh 1_click.

Here are some words that don't go together:
Glock Master Engraver

This. A glock is a tool, 100%. You want something engraved? Get a 1911 or CZ or similar.

John_Wayne777
11-18-10, 11:05
Nope, just a slow news day. Once I hit the 200 posts I'll try to keep this stuff in general discussion.

We don't really like it when people run up post counts. We'd prefer to see the technical forums stay dedicated to technical discussions with some value.