PDA

View Full Version : Will sand blasting take the black finish off my AR?

A10Burrp
11-15-10, 19:17
I Krylon'd my AR last year a tan color and I don't like it anymore. I am wanting to get it back to normal black. I've tried paint thinnner and stuff but it still leaves a light tan color. If I sand blast it lightly is it going to take the black finish underneath off? What is the best/cheapest way to get it back to black?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

devildogljb
11-15-10, 19:20
yes its defeintly going to take the black finish off so i would def advise against it. As for getting it off i cant help you there i would figure paint thinner would take it off. Hope you find a answer soon.

jumbopanda
11-15-10, 19:21
Sand blasting will remove any finish. You should try other solvents, such as MEK, and if that doesn't work, perhaps try blasting it with baking soda. Baking soda is a lot milder than aluminum oxide media, but I can't guarantee that it won't affect the finish underneath, especially if you set the pressure too high.

ucrt
11-15-10, 19:28
Search first and ye shall find...maybe...

"Removing krylon from M4s? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=66310&highlight=krylon)"

markm
11-15-10, 20:34
Give the weapon to your nephew or something.

TehLlama
11-15-10, 23:46
The 'wrong' answer is to just pick a new color/scheme to paint it. Woodland or mixed/urban might do...

But the solvent if used in a correctly managed environment is the right idea.

Iraqgunz
11-16-10, 11:41
Get Acetone or MEK. I used it in an upper just recently and it worked well. Soak a little and then use toothbrush or copper brush. Rinse well with hot water. You can then do a touch up with Brownells Alumahyde. Personally I would leave it tan unless it really bothers you.

I Krylon'd my AR last year a tan color and I don't like it anymore. I am wanting to get it back to normal black. I've tried paint thinnner and stuff but it still leaves a light tan color. If I sand blast it lightly is it going to take the black finish underneath off? What is the best/cheapest way to get it back to black?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Suwannee Tim
11-16-10, 14:06
Painting a firearms is like getting a tattoo. You should not do it unless you are shore! MEK is much more aggressive than acetone which is quite a mild solvent.

bkb0000
11-16-10, 14:18
re-paint it black.

fo' rill. it works fine.. and as the paint wears, it just wears from black to black.

dwhitehorne
11-16-10, 14:43
This stuff always works great for me and doesn't eat up plastic, but it's a little messy. David

http://www.wmbarr.com/Images/ProductImages/ESR72_3_R.jpg

The_War_Wagon
11-16-10, 15:29
If you DEFINITELY know what color you want it to be, then go for Cerakoting. Most folks that do it will take care of the old finish for you as part of the process. No fuss, no muss, and you get an EXCELLENT finish in its place! :D

bkb0000
11-16-10, 15:38
If you DEFINITELY know what color you want it to be, then go for Cerakoting. Most folks that do it will take care of the old finish for you as part of the process. No fuss, no muss, and you get an EXCELLENT finish in its place! :D

these guys also generally like to blast the part first.. stripping the anodize off your aluminum and parker off your steel is a bad idea. the steel can easily rust as the paint wears, and the aluminum will get the crap beat of it, with it's hard shell of anodize removed.

Jack-O
11-16-10, 18:13
one word....

ACETONE

Suwannee Tim
11-16-10, 19:05
If MEK works on paint like it works on brain cells, it will do the job. I could tell you some stories about a fellow I knew, a Powerplant Painter named MEK Al but I don't have time.