PDA

View Full Version : Glock Sizes

RancidSumo
11-16-10, 01:22
Im looking for primarily a range gun here but if the difference is so slight that it doesn't really matter, give the nod to the compact because it offers a greater potential for carry.

Anyway, with that out there I'm trying to get a feel for the size difference and how big of a difference it makes in shootability. Specifically, i'm looking at the 31 vs. 32. I've never shot a .357 sig so does the recoil characteristics of the round make it one that is better served by the full size or is it a similar story to the 19 where the compact is just fine on the range and pulls ahead when it comes to carry?

Thanks

durus5995
11-16-10, 02:52
Personally I find the Glock 19 / 23 / 32 to be about the perfect balance between conceal carry size and range gun size. Your best bet would be to go to a range and rent one to try.

I know when I was getting into conceal carry and was looking for something other than my Springfield 1911a1 GI model I tried my Glock 23 and I fell in love right away. Amazing reliability, magazine capacity, and the ability to share holsters across the 19, 23, and 32. Then you have the added bonus of the 23 / 32 where you can swap a 40 S&W barrel out for a 357 sig barrel and vice versa because the barrel size and slides are the same. The magazines are even interchangeable. Some say you can use a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel conversion on a 23 but I am not sure how well that works due to the extractor being different or something.

SpookyPistolero
11-16-10, 08:05
I shot a glock 33 for a couple of years in IDPA. I'm a big fan of the .357 sig caliber in general. It's awesome on steel incidentally. It's also quite controllable. But eventually the cost was just too prohibitive so I went back to 9mm. Regarding size, I'd get the 19/32 size unless you really need deep concealment. There's a big gain in control for not a big concealment cost vs th subcompacts

Ironbutt
11-16-10, 08:33
I haven't handled a G32, but I have a G23 & consider it just the right balance between shootability & concealability.

AMC29
11-16-10, 08:57
The 19/23/32 size is probably your best bet as you state its primary use would be a range gun. The subcompacts (26/27/33) are good for concealment, but the grip is short, leaving your little finger hanging, unless you look into the many magazine extenders (Pearce, Scherer, etc). I have a 27 and while it's accurate and easy to conceal, I wouldn't want to spend a day plinking with it.

If you go with the 31 it would be fine for a range gun as size is concerned, but you're really limiting yourself if you plan on carrying concealed.

I like the idea of getting an aftermarket barrel as well in .40S&W. .357sig ammo might get hard to find; .40S&W is readily available in all flavors.

RancidSumo
11-16-10, 10:45
Thanks everyone, thats pretty much what I expected. I've shot the .40 before so I knew what it was like which is why I asked about the unknown quantity of the 357 Sig. Ammo shouldn't be a big problem with reloading but I'll get the .40 barrel also so I can shoot both.

Anyway, it looks like 32/23 (probably whichever I can find first at a good price locally) it is.